Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Jefferson County)

Default DuBois's indoor range taking new members

DuBois Rifle & Pistol Club - 09:03 am, 2 March, 2008

Announcement: DuBois Rifle & Pistol Club is located on McCracken Run Road and offers ten fifty foot shooting lanes for .22LR ( Rifle & Pistol ), CENTERFIRE PISTOL CALIBERS SUCH AS .38 SPECIAL. 9MM, .40 SMITH & WESSON AND .45 ACP. Magnum calibers such as .357 mag. And the .44 mag. are prohibited.
    The club has a Bullseye pistol league that shoots on Tuesday nights, four position rifle team that shoots against other clubs from the area on Friday nights and on the third Sunday of the month hosts .22 caliber bowling pin shoots. Members may shoot at their own leisure any time of the day. All members are given the combination to the door. Training is offered to anyone who would like to enter one of the leagues and N.R.A. certified Firearm instructors are available for individual and group training. Annual dues are $40 per year with reduced rates for a spouse and Jr. Members

For more information call 894-5859
    dubois, pa
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: DuBois's indoor range taking new members

I haven't been to the club for a while. I stopped in there this week and noticed there was a new sign up, which if I read it correctly, said that centerfire over 900ft/s is prohibited now. So does this mean that factory 9mm and .45 is no longer allowed, or did I misread/understand something?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by leeam View Post
    I haven't been to the club for a while. I stopped in there this week and noticed there was a new sign up, which if I read it correctly, said that centerfire over 900ft/s is prohibited now. So does this mean that factory 9mm and .45 is no longer allowed, or did I misread/understand something?

Before it was "No Magnums"..

It would probably prohibit most, if not all 9mm. 45acp hovers between 750 and 950fps.

Well, so much for the DuBois indoor range being of much value in that regards.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Clearfield County)

Update: In short they DO allow 9mm and .45ACP as long as it's not +P.

I had gone to a meeting last month and talked to the people. It turns out the 900fps rule, while they have no intention of changing the sign, is not intended to ban normal production 9mm or .45ACP. I was told that normal production 9mm doesn't go over 900fps... While I've never chronod it myself, I'm pretty sure even cheap 9mm breaks 900fps. Anyway I was told it was fine to shoot.

Basically I was told that they didn't want people shooting +P rounds or any other calibers that are high velocity. Another thing that was mentioned (that I didn't quite understand) was due to lead in the air when you get over 900fps. I suspect this may be directed towards non-jacketed bullets.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by leeam View Post
    Update: In short they DO allow 9mm and .45ACP as long as it's not +P.

I had gone to a meeting last month and talked to the people. It turns out the 900fps rule, while they have no intention of changing the sign, is not intended to ban normal production 9mm or .45ACP. I was told that normal production 9mm doesn't go over 900fps... While I've never chronod it myself, I'm pretty sure even cheap 9mm breaks 900fps. Anyway I was told it was fine to shoot.

Basically I was told that they didn't want people shooting +P rounds or any other calibers that are high velocity. Another thing that was mentioned (that I didn't quite understand) was due to lead in the air when you get over 900fps. I suspect this may be directed towards non-jacketed bullets.
    Yes, the 9mm easily breaks 900fps. Even the subsonic 147gr ammo does it at about 950-1050fps.

I can understand the lead issue. Once you get up above 1000fps with lead bullets you really start putting alot of lead in the air - it melts/gases up from friction and blowby going down the barrel. Several the indoor ranges I shot at and qualified at in FL were FMJ only ranges, with the exception of 1 that had a new fangled air recirculation and filtering system(was a pricey range to shoot at).