Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default a pistol for...bears.

"The right to bear arms and arm bears", right?

Seriously though.. a co-worker regularly flies out west and backpacks. Currently, they UPS out some 'bear spray' (Close quarters fogging spray), carry it, and have to UPS it back every time.

So her and her guy are looking for a pistol to carry. Scenario:

They're sleeping, and wake up to a bear right there, coming in the tent. What kind of bear? a big, pissed off one...close enough to smell its last dinner on its breath.

Their wants/needs:
    since every pound counts when backpacking, shotguns are out.
    something where it's "grab and squeeze" is preferred over anything with a manual safety, so they can just grab it out of the holster and operate
    It needs to be as good as it can be for stopping that freaking bear...

My first thought was a Judge, alternating slugs/buckshot, but as I'm reading, they don't actually have a ton of power behind them? The more I search, the more a short barrel .44mag with FMJ's is the better recommendation.

Finally, I've stressed the absolute NEED to practice, practice, practice..but admittedly, trying to re-create that stressful of a situation won't be easy.
    "Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.”

(Washington County)

Default Re: a pistol for...bears.

The boring answer is a quality .44 magnum. If they want access to it while hiking, a long gun of some type may carry easier even if it is heavier, but I don't know.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Allegheny County)

I would get something like one of these ruger revolvers http://ruger.com/products/superRedha...an/models.html

I would probably go with the 454 casull. There is also the standard model with the 7.5" barrel.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Lackawanna County)

something big. these are the reasons that 44 mags 454 casulls and 500s&w exist. Id want as much gun as possible if it was me vs a bear.

Locally I take my 10mm in the woods when i go. PA black bear are normally not in the same category as what I envision is out there in the hrest of the world.

(Wayne County)

Smith and Wesson Bear survival kit in .460 Smith or .500 smith!
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Himni View Post
    I would get something like one of these ruger revolvers http://ruger.com/products/superRedha...an/models.html

I would probably go with the 454 casull. There is also the standard model with the 7.5" barrel.
    I second this. I can't imagine it'll be any fun to shoot, but I think it's likely the best mix of low weight to carry and effectiveness/quality/usability.

(Dauphin County)

If a bear is already coming in the tent I think it might be a little too late. But, if you want something with more than 5/6 shots, I'd recommend a glock 20 (10mm) with some underwood ammo

Or a 10mm semi auto that most brand name gun companies make. Not as powerful as a 44mag or 454 casull or 500 S&W but still a good option as would be a 41 mag.

Just remember to have a qualified gunsmith grind off all the rough edges and polish it smooth.

That way it won't hurt so much when the bear takes it from them and shoves it up their ass.*
    *It's an old joke, but a good one. Right up there with "grizzly bear poop smells like pepper spray and contains small bells".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Jefferson County)

From another recent thread...

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you're in brown/grizzly bear area - .44mag minimum. Do NOT go any longer than 6inches for the barrel. 3-4 inches is optimal. The longer the barrel, the harder it will be to wield with a bear on top of you, eating you as you still draw breath.

In non-brown/grizz areas - .357mag energy levels should be considered the low end. .44mag energy levels is "just right". Anything more might be excessive.

Proper bullets will matter most. JHP's should be left for humans, deer, or lessor critters. With critters that can eat you - Keith style slugs, hard cast or jacketed with bonded cores. Heavy weights and as much velocity as you can squeeze out of the cartridge/gun. Penetration will be the key factor.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast