Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default french creek out door range??

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I have not been to the outdoor range at French creek in about 5 years. last time i went I saw some shady shit and have not been back since. I was thinking of going up this week with my wife and son but not sure if it has changed or not. Ok so here are my questions.
    1- do you need a membership now? I thought I heard you did.

2- What can you shoot?? I have heard no more pistols or shotguns.

3- How safe is it now? I am thinking of going on Thursday so I am hoping that it wont be crowed or have unsafe shooter.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

(Chester County)

Default Re: french creek out door range??

1. You need a permit for any State ranges now. A hunting license will work as a substitute.

2. There never has been a "pistol" range there to my knowledge, though there are 25 or 50 yard target stands, I forget which. I've never been cited for using a pistol there but it is not technically a pistol range so per the rules you'd be limited to 3 rounds, at least that's my understanding. It's been a while since I've used a state range myself.

As for shotguns, the shotgun range has been closed for a few years.

3. Haven't been since they started the new permit rule but I'd guess that has cut down on the idiots, at least I hope.

(Chester County)

What kind of permit do I need? and how do I get one?

(Chester County)

Never mind I figured out the permit question. one last thing. it said the permit was good for only one guest. I am planing on going with my wife and son. My son is only 12 would I have to get 2 permits for all 3 of us to go or do kids not count??

(Delaware County)

you get the permit from PA game commission on their web site

I did some hunting at sgl43 last year for the last time ever because of the shooting range it was non stop shooting from sun up to sun down. there was a crowd every time and nobody had a range permit or a hunting license.

Most of the people were butt heads you know the kind of people that shoot the range signs and such, as a matter of fact all the signs are shot up . there was pinking going on witch is against the rules but I would not mind if you cleaned up after your self but they don't .I sall pistole shooters with the lawn signs ( you know the kind that say vote for jon doe) and hanging targets off them at about 10 yards and shooting at them witch was a downward angle . one last they almost always during a target change finger fudge with the guns when people are down range. This is not everybody but I saw more bad than good

The good news is the Game commission redid the range the old wood benches are gone and replaced with concrete that has a black foam over the tops so you dont scratch your guns. The ranges also diffrent if you remember the skeet field it is gone forever not coming back ever . Ranges were 2 50 yard then the 100 yards and the last 2 were at 25 yards now its all 100 yards and the last 2 that were 25 are now 50 yards

(Chester County)

Cool thanks! I have not been there since they redid it last time i was up there I saw people getting muzzle swiped and I saw a girl about 16 looking down the barrel of a loaded shotgun. Maybe I will take a drive up and check it out.

(Chester County)

My advice is to join a private gun club and leave the public ranges alone. I've seen a lot of bad habits and down right unsafe handling of firearms at SGL #43(French Creek).
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

Yeah I would like to join a club but it seems like most clubs around here you need to know a member. What club would you suggest? I want a safe place to take my family.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Yeah I would like to join a club but it seems like most clubs around here you need to know a member. What club would you suggest? I want a safe place to take my family.
    not southern chester

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have not had anything but good experiences at Southern Chester County. I consider it to be family friendly.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast