Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Recommendations for "Tactical" Firearms Training?

Hello everyone, I recently got into firearms and would like to do some training. All the tools in the world wont help if you don't know how to use them right? Basically I am looking to do some courses that would help me in a defensive situation or even an offensive one. Say defending against a home invasion or something of that sort. Every site likes to say they're the best so instead of looking through hundreds of websites I'd rather ask you guys with experience. Anyone recommend any firearms courses around my area of interest? Preferably in the Southeastern PA area? I will travel if needed though. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Recommendations for "Tactical" Firearms Training?

(Allegheny County)

I'd kindly suggest gun handling and basic markmanship training before any tactical classes.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I'd kindly suggest gun handling and basic markmanship training before any tactical classes.
    Yep. I don't know your level of experience with firearms, but since you "just got into firearms" a basic pistol class might be a good place to start. All of the "advanced" stuff is based on you being able to accurately shoot your handgun and it is much easier to learn the basics right the first time than try to un-learn bad habits.

For basic classes, you can start by looking at:
    http://nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

As for more advanced training, many people on this site have been to firearms classes and can comment on them. I also know several members here are firearms instructors and offer basic (and beyond) pistol classes (myself included). Since you are looking for input from people other than the instructors themselves, I will leave it at that.

(Allegheny County)

There is an entire section on this forum devoted to firearms training courses that are coming up. I would go there and look around, and then come back here with any specific questions you might have pertaining to a specific course or what people got out of it.

I join the others here who have recommend a basic hand gun course first. Do not let the word "basic" put you off. I just attended Tactical Hand Gun 101 (Randy Cain), which is a Level I course. I had to work to do what Randy Cain asked us to do.

The week before that I was at a "Level II" carbine course given by a man named Hackathorn. One of the first things he said was that if he called it a basic course, nobody would enroll. He's right. And that is a shame. A lot of people cheat themselves thinking they already know how to load and unload their weapon, so they want to do some sort of unspecified "advanced" stuff.

Ego makes people stupid. The basic (fundamental, foundational, what-have-you) skills are the ONLY skills. That is it. That is all there is to the shooting part of personal defense. Period. End.

After that, it is just a matter of understanding what you are doing at a deeper level, and applying them in more difficult circumstances. Those who suggest there is some magic one learns in "advanced" courses either do not themselves understand the process or they are being deliberately misleading.

Last edited by PeteG; August 28th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    There is an entire section on this forum devoted to firearms training courses that are coming up. I would go there and look around, and then come back here with any specific questions you might have pertaining to a specific course or what people got out of it.

I join the others here who have recommend a basic hand gun course first. Do not let the word "basic" put you off. I just attended Tactical Hand Gun 101 (Randy Cain), which is a Level I course. I had to work to do what Randy Cain asked us to do.

The week before that I was at a "Level II" carbine course given by a man named Hackathorn. One of the first things he said was that if he called it a basic course, nobody would enroll. He's right. And that is a shame. A lot of people cheat themselves thinking they already know how to load and unload their weapon, so they want to do some sort of unspecified "advanced" stuff.

Ego makes people stupid. The basic (fundamental, foundational, what-have-you) skills are the ONLY skills. That is it. That is all there is to the shooting part of personal defense. Period. End.

After that, it is just a matter of understanding what you are doing at a deeper level, and applying them in more difficult circumstances. Those who suggest there is some magic one learns in "advanced" courses either do not themselves understand the process or they are being deliberately misleading.

Totally agree. Even though I'm an instructor myself, I'm always looking for training and classes, even the basics. To the OP, I'd advise you to seek out reputable training companies / instructors rather than classes labeled as "tactical" or "high-speed". I think you'd be better served in the long run.

If you want to "take the drive down 95", we offer our Defensive Handgun I class once a month just north of Richmond. - http://proactiveshooters.com/defensive-handgun-i-2/

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    Hello everyone, I recently got into firearms and would like to do some training. All the tools in the world wont help if you don't know how to use them right? Basically I am looking to do some courses that would help me in a defensive situation or even an offensive one. Say defending against a home invasion or something of that sort. Every site likes to say they're the best so instead of looking through hundreds of websites I'd rather ask you guys with experience. Anyone recommend any firearms courses around my area of interest? Preferably in the Southeastern PA area? I will travel if needed though. Thanks in advance!
    I would look at NRA Frist Steps & Basic Pistol/Rifle depending on what firearms you already own or plan on purchasing. Allot of local clubs and ranges offer these.

From there start researching the reputation of more advanced training. I'm not familiar with the trainers in your side of the state but I'm sure there will be others here.

I would be leery of any training organization that uses the word tactical to market their civilian courses. These are the ones that tend to be more hype than knowledge.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I would be leery of any training organization that uses the word tactical to market their civilian courses. These are the ones that tend to be more hype than knowledge.
    "Tactial," as we use the term, only indicates it is about fighting, rather than sport or competition shooting. "Basic Not Sport or Competition Pistol" is a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast