Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LTCF References

Default LTCF References

Hi, I just recently moved into Philadelphia for school and looking into getting a LTCF. However as I don't really know anyone in the area yet, it is difficult to find someone that is a resident here who will be willing to be a reference on a LTCF application.

I remember reading a while ago that a poster here was willing to provide himself as a reference for anyone applying in Philadelphia, and so I was hoping if there was anyone who knew who he was, or if anyone else is willing to provide a reference.

If you live in the Philadelphia area, I can buy you a cup of coffee and have an informal interview.

Thanks for all your time!

(Fayette County)

Default Re: LTCF References

I don't remember needing to list any references when I filled for my LTCF... But then again I cant remember what I ate for dinner last night.

Just use some friends/ family. I doubt they will even call them

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_23 View Post
    I don't remember needing to list any references when I filled for my LTCF... But then again I cant remember what I ate for dinner last night.

I don't have a copy of the LTCF's form but just got a renewal letter in the mail. It indicates that 2 references are required.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    I don't have a copy of the LTCF's form but just got a renewal letter in the mail. It indicates that 2 references are required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock_23 View Post

Yep, references are required but, if I remember correctly, they cannot be family. Depending on the locality, the references might get a call.

The references do not have to be from the same county/Philly or even from PA for that matter. Philly likes to give LTCF applicants a hard time but legally they don't have to even be from the state.

Yeah, Philly is not very LTCF friendly at all. Excerpts from their "gun permit" website:

2. Applicants must have an APPLICATION AND TWO (2) REFERENCE SHEETS FILLED OUT COMPLETELY and APPLICABLE ITEMS LISTED BELOW or they will not be accepted. (Do not use pencil)

<SNIP>

4. NOTE: Failure to provide (2) references (NOT FAMILY MEMBERS), as required on your application, will result in your application being denied, and forfeiture of your application fee. Enclosed are two references information sheets that your references may use for their convenience. References should include name, address, date of birth and PA State ID or drivers license number at the top of the form.

(Bucks County)

I find it pretty ironic that the city that feels the voter ID laws are to burdensome in involving people proving they are residences of a state and who they say they are apply the same standard to people trying to exercise their rights to bear arms and onto their REFERENCES which if I remember correctly do not need to actually be PA state residences.

*Disclosure: This post is neither for or against the voter ID laws and merely is enjoying the clearly double standard the city of Philadelphia has.

Quote Originally Posted by stabile007 View Post
    ... REFERENCES which if I remember correctly do not need to actually be PA state residences.
    The only requirement for references on the official, statewide LTCF application is that they are NOT FAMILY MEMBERS. Residency in the same county, in PA or even the USA is not required.

(Philadelphia County)

Neither the instructions nor references section requires that the persons to be state residents, especially in Philadelphia specifically. I'm looking at this form here: http://www.phillypolice.com/assets/d...pplication.pdf . It does have a PA DL field for the reference, but I think they either were dumb or trying to make you assume.

I have NEVER heard of anyone being denied because their references were not in PA. They will have a lot of explaining to do and ready to deal with the state if they deny you for that reason alone.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Washington County)

I'm sure some of your new professors would gladly be a reference for you.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Thanks, I did in fact assume that they were required to be PA residents as the fields included a PA Driver's license. That is good to hear that I can use out of state residents too.

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast