Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default So I picked up an Izmash saiga 12...

And I have a few questions..

1) are the reliability issues only with the Walmart 100 pack type of ammo?
    2)promag 20 rd drums, are they reliable?
    3) I took it apart the other day and noticed there wasn't any thread lock on any of the screws. Put some on?

And I appreciate any helpful bots as this is my introduction to the AK platform. Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: So I picked up an Izmash saiga 12...

1. I didn't have any problems with mine, though YMMV. If you have problems, you can get an aftermarket gas regulator like the MDArms V-plug.

2. If your S12 cycles the ammunition you load into it, then yes.

3. Might as well.

Put a little never seize on the gas plug threads.

Mine is presently frozen in place and I think it's gonna take some heat to get it moving. I've had "Blaster" soaking in the threads internally, and externally, but it looks like I'm gonna have to clamp the gas block in a wood vise and heat it up to free it. I used a quarter in a pair of vise grips, and bent the quarter to hell.

I thought I was pretty good about keeping the threads oiled and free, but I guess I was wrong. The factory plug doesn't offer much to grab on, either.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

(Armstrong County)

Mine locked up on me too. I just put a 20rnd drum through it and it loosened right up. Give that a try if you haven't already. It might work for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by zshaff87 View Post
    Mine locked up on me too. I just put a 20rnd drum through it and it loosened right up. Give that a try if you haven't already. It might work for you too.
    Great suggestion, that oughta heat it up.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

(Allegheny County)

I use the same super fine copper anti-seize on the threads that is used on oxygen sensors. Its high heat, can handle cooling cycles, and it even deals with crud OK.

Mine did not cycle target loads. I had to polish everything and do the booster puck and Vplug. The Vplug IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - even if everything works. Just the right amount of gas is better for the gun in the long term.

I took a 1/2 inch drive, 15/16 Drag Link socket, and I filed the blade down to fit the factory gas plug.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1...p-00944513000P

Now I can use a 1/2 ratchet, an impact gun, or an impact driver, depending on the torque required. I'll get the gas block hot first though.

The only other nag I have with my S-12 is the magazine release mounting pin keeps backing out. It's not long enough to peen, so I think I'll tack weld it or use some silver solder.

I also noticed some plastic residue from melted hulls in the bore. In a video by Larry Potter of Midway, he uses some stainless steel wool (Tipton Gun Bright) wrapped around a cotton shotgun swab. I imagine that it would help to heat the bore up by running a box of shells through it, then use the wool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/439...n-cleaning-pad

(Allegheny County)

Please be SUPER careful about how much torque you apply to that gas block. Those threads are VERY shallow and weak typically. And if you manage to dick it up, you are going to seriously - seriously - seriously regret it.

The metal in the gas block is equally not strong. Again, I strongly caution you against applying a vast amount of torque to the gas block.

Thanks for the precautions. Actually, that kind of work is right up my alley.

I got the plug free tonight after I got home from work. Omg that thing was filthy, so was the gas puck.

Diagnosis? Teflon fouling. Yep. Dumb ass me lubricated the threads with a lube that contains Teflon, namely Tetra Gun Grease. Now I knew better than use it on an AR bolt carrier, or anything like that. But for some reason, I just figured it would work to keep the gas plug threads free. Wrong.

Actually, you can say it was bad judgment, and that I underestimated the conditions. But I have a habit of shooting box after box of 3" Magnum Remington Sluggers, I guess I got it hot enough to cook it.

Edit: before removing the plug I'd reasoned that it was most likely rusted in place, as I'd been shooting in the pouring rain a few range sessions ago.

(Allegheny County)

High temp copper anti-seize is your friend!

Glad to hear everything turned out OK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast