Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fulton County)

Default Custom-painted guns worry police

i said i was going to lurk for awhile but this is just to good to pass up

If confronted by a zebra-striped rifle or hot pink pistol, don’t assume it’s a toy – it could be a real firearm with a custom paint job.

Handguns, assault-style rifles and even some hunting firearms are being adorned with flames, Hello Kitty logos, spiderwebs, and bright colors at gun owners’ requests.

The custom-painted guns recently were the topic of an officer safety memo regionally as well as nationwide. The fear is that one of these designer weapons will end up in a criminal’s hands and when a person – an officer or a citizen – is confronted with it, they will incorrectly assume it’s a toy, authorities said. The result could be fatal.

“After reviewing this bulletin, it reinforces the idea to treat every gun as real and as if it poses a threat,” said Spokane police Officer Jennifer DeRuwe. “There’s that split second in time when a person is pointing a gun at you, and you have to decide my life or theirs.”

Gun shops nationwide customize firearms, including Lone Wolf Distributors in Oldtown, Idaho.

The practice of customizing guns is common, owner J.R. Shepard said. “I could sell a pink gun a week. Flames are really popular,” he said. The color or design is “only limited by your imagination.”

But Shepard says the warnings to police are more representative of “idiots” who have firearms than responsible gun owners.

“If someone points a gun at me, they are a bad guy,” said Shepard, who has operated Lone Wolf Distributors since the 1970s. “If someone points a gun at law enforcement, they deserve what they get. The color of the gun is irrelevant,” he said.

Since Lone Wolf Distributors paints the firearms to gun owners’ specifications, nothing is off-limits. If a customer sends Shepard a Hello Kitty logo, a Batman symbol or a picture of Yosemite Sam, it can be painted on the firearm.

Capt. Ben Wolfinger, spokesman for the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Department, was alarmed to hear about the custom-painted guns.

“We have made our officers aware of these new ‘designer’ guns,” Wolfinger said. “I believe that these designer guns will have the potential of confusing officers when confronted by them, putting them in danger.”

But law enforcement has an advantage over many citizens because of police training. “Any firearms training I’ve had, you treat a firearm as if you don’t know,” said Spokane County Undersheriff Jeff Tower. His suggestion: “If someone points a gun at you take cover, conceal yourself and try to get behind something, which will hopefully give a person time to assess if the gun is real or not.”

Said Coeur d’Alene police Capt. Steve Childers, “the concept of designer painted guns is absurd. We encourage gun owners to be responsible and not paint their guns to look like a toy.”

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/break...y.asp?ID=13944

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Custom-painted guns worry police

I knew this would eventually surface as a concern for the Police! I wonder if you could slide something by eBay because of the color loop hole?

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by fultonCoShooter View Post

Said Coeur d’Alene police Capt. Steve Childers, “the concept of designer painted guns is absurd. We encourage gun owners to be responsible and not paint their guns to look like a toy.”
    The only thing "absurd" is how utterly stupid we have become, and willing to be led deeper into stupidom by "authorities" like Capt. Childers.

Once again, blame gun owners for the actions of criminals... and not even in a way that makes a shred of sense.

(Snyder County)

I can see this lasted real long.

If you threaten something, stick to it. Nothing better than the boy who cried wolf...or just cried....

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    I can see this lasted real long.

If you threaten something, stick to it. Nothing better than the boy who cried wolf...or just cried....

I did that because of people like you.

(Dauphin County)

you would think common sense would prevail and that if your an LEO and you come up on an adult and he points a gun at you, real or not you would assume that is it real and take cover and then take the BG out, wouldnt you??

(Snyder County)

I did that because of people like you.
    Then stick to it!

And you told me with your negative rep too. Thanks!

Cause I feel we don't need people like yourself. Don't know what got your panties all in a bunch to begin with. But I can see they are still there. Maybe you should go back on time out till you cool off some more. Please?

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    Then stick to it!

And you told me with your negative rep too. Thanks!

Cause I feel we don't need people like yourself. Don't know what got your panties all in a bunch to begin with. But I can see they are still there. Maybe you should go back on time out till you cool off some more. Please?

Oh im glad to know that you speak for all the members of the board

Oh BTW i will continue to give you negative Points as i see fit.... how many is up to you

Im not the first person to get feed up with people like you. I received alot of emails saying dont go. I come back and wham!!! i get ur comments
    Last edited by fultonCoShooter; March 4th, 2008 at 02:02 PM.

(Snyder County)

Oh BTW i will continue to give you negative Points as i see fit.... how many is up to you
    I am not speaking for the members of this board. Read what I wrote again. I said "I feel..." meaning I was stating my opinion. The "we" that you highlighted and pointed out if referring to the group of people that make up this board in general.

Would it make you feel better if I said it like this:

Cause I feel this forum doesn't need people like yourself.
    That is what I was referring to when I said "we". I meant the forum and group that I am a part of. I wasn't speaking for anyone. I was simply stating my opinion that I feel this forum doesn't need people that get upset quickly, tell everyone to piss off, they aren't coming back, then 3 days later they come back, and get upset when someone says they cried wolf.

No really, I'm leaving for good this time guys. Come on, won't you beg for me to stay??

It was all about making a scene in the first place. You wanted attention. That is why you posted a thread about it. You wanted everyone else to know YOU were leaving. And it didn't cause as much of a stir as you hoped, so you are now pissed and posting again. And giving out negative rep because of it. Feel free to give out as much negative rep as you want. I don't care. Rep means nothing to me.

As I said, I feel this forum doesn't need people like yourself and I stand by it.

Im not the first person to get feed [sic] up with people like you. I received alot of emails saying dont go. I come back and wham!!! i get ur comments
    Just pointing out some minor hypocrisy. I don't have beef with either of you, so, uhh... carry on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast