Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default IDPA holster for a fat guy

Now that I have been shooting for a few months, I want to take the next step and try out some IDPA events. Prior to entering in an event, I will be attending one of the Intro to IDPA classes at Ontelaunee. However, before I go, I need to get some gear -- mainly the holster/belt/mag pouch setup.

I decided on the Wilderness Instructor belt (plastic insert version for stiffness) but I am torn between Comp-Tac and Blade-Tech for the holster/mag combo.

Since I have never used/worn a holster before, I am unsure if I should go paddle or belt.

From what I can tell, if I go Blade-Tech, their Competition Pack has a belt holster that can be attached to the included paddle - best of both worlds so I can try both - so that is certainly a great option - but am not sure if that is a better product than C-T

All help is appreciated

Thanks!

Default Re: IDPA holster for a fat guy

I prefer Balde-Tech holsters, from their kydex line - not the Revolution, which is what the Competition Pac is, I believe. Revolution is fine for the mag pouches. Also, stay away from paddle holsters - when the buzzer goes off and you draw, you are likely to come out with more than just your gun. Also as a "fluffy" guy myself, they tend to be uncomfortable, with the paddle digging in, in places where skinny people don't even have places.

If you are going with IDPA, I'd recommend BT's Stingray belt loop. Since IDPA requires the holster to go on the belt holding up your pants, you have belt loops to deal with. With the Stingray you can bridge a belt loop achieving two things, 1) Better stabilization of the holster, and, 2) Being able to place the holster/gun on your body's vertical centerline (as far forward as IDPA rules allow). Every pair of pants I own has a belt loop at the top of the vertical seam on the outside of the pant leg. This is pretty much used to designate the centerline. With something like the Tech-Lok belt attachment, you have to go behind the belt loop, placing the gun further back on your body (4 o'clock as opposed to 3 o'clock). However, Tech-Lok's are terrfific for securing your mag pouches. Easy on/off.

OK, that's my IDPA holster rant. Have fun and be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Bob summed it up pretty well, except I actually like the Revolution stuff from blade tech (with the belt attachment, not the paddle)

My sons each use the revolution combo pack and they have held up very well and are a significant savings over some of the other options. They are only used for competition, not for EDC.

The class at ontelaunee is outstanding, and their matches are top notch, one of my favorite matches. The other match on the top of my list is New Holland.

ETA-- I actually shoot my carry gear. M&P9 in a balde-tech eclipse holster and blade-tech Tek-Lok mag pouch. I don't use a fancy vest, just a decent weight shirt like This
    Last edited by woodsk; August 22nd, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

(Northampton County)

Thanks for the feedback. I did like that Stingray holster and Revolution mag pouch -- seems like a good combo.

Once I do the class, I wanted to get in on a match at my local range (Guthsville) before branching out more and I too will be shooting my M&P9 - thought it may be better to go that route than my Kimber

(Lehigh County)

which Intro to IDPA classes at Ontelaunee are you going to attend i was thinking about it as well
    common sense is a mf

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus6d9 View Post
    which Intro to IDPA classes at Ontelaunee are you going to attend i was thinking about it as well
    Hopefully the next one offered on Sept 8th -- if I can get everything I need in time

(Lehigh County)

ill be there with my friend since the instructions says you dont need all the stuff
    common sense is a mf

(Montgomery County)

I'm a big fan of Comp-Tac. I debated between their competition kit and Blade-Tech's when I started shooting IDPA. Based on reviews I saw, I went with Comp-Tac even though it was more money. I've been nothing but happy with the holster and mag holders. They're also a big supporter of IDPA.

I'm a big guy. The holster style that works best for me is one that has a sweat guard of some sort. I have a Kydex holster from Vigilance Tactical (made right here in PA - Chris is a great guy to work with) for my SP2022 that works perfectly for keeping my shirt behind the holster as well as prevents me from pinching my skin.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

My advice is, "Don't dump a bunch of money into gear before you shoot". Go check things out and ask the shooters what works for them, and what doesn't. Quite a few shooters would gladly let you try out their gear.