Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Concealed Knives

I know this is a gun forum but I think knives go hand-in-hand as a backup and general utility in a bad situation. I have a concealed permit but I often can't carry a gun either because the places I'm going to are not appropriate by law or I just plain can't - especially in the summer when I barely have anything on and even when I do they're lightweight draping tech shirts that will print anything they touch. I've tried carrying a small arm (Ruger LC9) in one of those fanny packs - they're not comfortable. I normally wear those light zip-off pants along with the tech T and they have no belt loops or the loops are small and the exposed web belt is only like 1" max so it can't really hold a holster.

Now, I normally carry a SOG Aegis mini with me - it's so light that I don't even know it's in my pocket all day long, but it's a folder and obviously that's a problem to get access to and deploy quickly.

So I'm thinking about a small fixed blade that I can carry concealed that is light enough and can accommodate a small belt or even an ankle mount with a nice easy-to-deploy kydex and doesn't print easily. I was looking for suggestions from others who may be carrying a small fixed blade.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Concealed Knives

I just bought a Ka Bar LDK and am really happy with it. I wrap it around my carry belt at 1:00 for quick deployment. Heres a link: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/547...polymer-sheath
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

There is a plethora of small, lightweight fixed blades that can be carried discreatly.

Here are some:

1) Emerson LaGriffe
    2) KaBar TDI
    3) Benchmade Nim Cub II
    4) Benchmade Instigator

I've never thought about carrying a fixed blade just due to the size of one. I do always have my Kershaw folder on me. Been carring one for about the last 10 years or so. Current one is a 1660TGRYST. Love the blades

(Lancaster County)

I would be really wary of carrying any fixed blade due to the broad definition of "offensive" weapons in PA Law. Plus if you ever go into Philly, knives are strictly verboton unless you're using it for your job.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...9.008.000..HTM

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed- off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    Just putting that out there. A fixed blade knife concealed could easily be construed as a "dagger".
    Last edited by streaker69; August 22nd, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

i always stick with folders. easier to pass them off as being for work than something sheathed. my benchmade osborne 940 is with me daily. the blade is 3.4" so i think it is legal in every state. or at least to the best of my knowledge (someone please correct me if i am wrong).
    Last edited by gummy jones; August 22nd, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Delaware County)

Except, apparently, Philadelphia, where you can only carry a knife if it's considered part of your daily job. That means ANY knife. From a boy scout's Swiss Army Knife to a Bowie knife strapped to your belt.

I don't think it's been challenged yet, so I don't know if there's any case law to back up a defense that it can be a useful tool in any form of employment.

(Erie County)

Have you thought about one of these

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...FYa8Kgod3VMA2A
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Have you thought about one of these

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...FYa8Kgod3VMA2A
    i am not a fan. there is no trigger guard and i have heard that the seems on them wear out rather quickly with every day use. a cool idea but i dont think the technology is there yet.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    Except, apparently, Philadelphia, where you can only carry a knife if it's considered part of your daily job. That means ANY knife. From a boy scout's Swiss Army Knife to a Bowie knife strapped to your belt.

I don't think it's been challenged yet, so I don't know if there's any case law to back up a defense that it can be a useful tool in any form of employment.
    It's worse than that. You can only carry a knife (on public streets or property) if it's part of your job "while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling".

Apparently the knife is expected to magically appear on your person while you're working, then magically disappear when you leave work for the day, or go to lunch, or take a break, or do any part of your job which doesn't require that the knife is "actually being used" at the time.

It's a breathtakingly overbroad law which is virtually impossible to follow in practice.
    Last edited by twency; August 22nd, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast