Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Does anyone have a Sig P220 Compact?

I'm considering one for carry, but I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge since I've only been able to shoot the full size -- no ranges that I know of have the compact to rent.

If you've got one... Do you carry it regularly? Is it a safe queen? Any idea if the trigger reach is different from the full size? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Does anyone have a Sig P220 Compact?

When you say compact are you referring to the "compact" model or the "carry" model?

I have the carry model but to be honest i have never seen one of the compact model, but Sig Still shows them on it's website.

The Carry model is the same gun as a regular 220 just shorter barrel/slide and lighter with a machined slide as opposed to a pressed one, the compact model is the same Gun as what used to be called a Sig 245.

You Cant go wrong with either one My 220 carry has never has a single failure of any kind, i carry it in the winter months due to the longish grip, the compact model takes a 6 round mag thus a more compact shorter easier to conceal grip.

THe mags are not interchangeable with a regular or carry 220.

(Allegheny County)

Hey, thanks for the input. I was talking about the compact, I guess the former P245.

(Monroe County)

Ok, personally i have never seen one physically, but i have seen used 245's on the market, same gun except that the 245 does not have a rail.

Sigs are expensive Guns, Ranges dont usually offer them in their rental line up, so idoubt you will find one for rent.

(Monroe County)

I had one of the P245s and I can tell you it was an awesome gun. If the new "compact" is anything like it you wont be disappointed.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; August 21st, 2012 at 08:19 AM.

(Beaver County)

Hey, the last time I was at Ace's gun store in Washington,Pa. they had a used Carry in one of the cases. I can tell you from experience that the 220 Carry is much easier to hold onto then the compact......just my opinion.

(Mercer County)

A 245 is my EDC. The 220 Carry DAK that I have is the same length slide, 3.9 inches, but has a regular 220 size grip, for eight rounds. The full size mags of 8 and ten rounds from Sig will work in my 245.

I have never seen a 245 compact, so I am not aware if the slide is heavier like the Carry, or slim like the 245.

The 220 Carry is a special configuration, no rail DAK. The machined stainless slide is not identical to the 245, only the same length as a 245. It is thicker in the same areas that the 245 is slim, from the chamber to the muzzle. It fits in the 245 leather, but it is snug.

The short grip frame of the 245 is great for CCW. Extra mags are carried, but they are full size. My only negative to the 245 is the six round mag. I got the 220 Carry to replace the 245, but the full size grip makes it trickier to conceal.

Both guns are accurate, and easy to control. The bigger gun has a slight edge, but the 245 is good. I once had a Colt Officers model, and that danged thing would torque in my hand something fierce. I don't know if it was the gun or me, but the 245 is almost a pussy-cat by comparison...

I was really surprised by the blocky-like thickness of the 220 carry. The 220 SAS DAK is stainless, but it is a lot trimmer in the slide, like an older folded slide, but it is machined stainless.

Does this help?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all the input. i really appreciate it.

Now, I just have to deal with (read: get over) my three remaining reservations about Sig Sauer which are basically just psychological.

1.) I've read some complaints about their quality control processes, recently it's been some criticism of their extractors and a tendency for the metal to rust. I think both have been addressed

2.) They have a lot of ridiculous looking guns these days (lots of pink, marked up designs, etc.) which makes me wonder again about their commitment to making quality weapons

3.) DA/SA isn't as awesome as Glock's "same trigger pull every time"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Z12kVZU View Post

3.) DA/SA isn't as awesome as Glock's "same trigger pull every time"
    No, but the HK LEM trigger IS!!!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    No, but the HK LEM trigger IS!!!!!
    HK45c was actually my first choice, but I have some trigger reach issues with it. The 220s that I've handled (all full size) didn't feel as fat and fit my hand much more comfortably.

I wrote to Bruce Gray about a grip job & pre-travel reduction on the HK, but never heard back. So, Sig it probably will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast