Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Any good tips or do's and dont with an M&P

So I get my M&P next month! Early bday gift to me.

Does anyone have any tips or dos and donts with it?

I was going to get the M&P by it's self, but for $35 more, I got the range kit.

I am debating about getting Night Sights put on later on. However everywhere online I seem to look, they are $140+. For my glocks they were less then $100. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; August 17th, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Pike County)

Default Re: Any good tips or do's and dont with an M&P

I bought my M&P 9 last October and put close to 2k rounds through it, honestly I can't think of many do's or do not's. Some people don't like the trigger and upgrade the trigger reset plus other things. I didn't find an issue with the trigger so I kept it stock, Apex sells the kit though. As for night sights I got the Trijicon SA37's for my M&P 9 on Amazon, final price was only $110 at the time. I upgraded my sights since the front dot fell out 400 rounds in. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Oh and my M&P eats steel cased like M&M's so if your into saving money you have that. Enjoy.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I bought my M&P 9 last October and put close to 2k rounds through it, honestly I can't think of many do's or do not's. Some people don't like the trigger and upgrade the trigger reset plus other things. I didn't find an issue with the trigger so I kept it stock, Apex sells the kit though. As for night sights I got the Trijicon SA37's for my M&P 9 on Amazon, final price was only $110 at the time. I upgraded my sights since the front dot fell out 400 rounds in. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Oh and my M&P eats steel cased like M&M's so if your into saving money you have that. Enjoy.
    Thanks for the info and the link!!

I have ALOT of American eagle to shoot it with. And then gold dots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Beaver County)

No real tips other than dry fire to smooth out the trigger.IMO the trigger is ok just the way its.I agree that it will "eat" anything you put in the mag.

I like www.ameriglo.net/ sights myself.Changed the front sight to a red fiber optic,but they also make night sights,and are located right here in Pa.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

I have an M&P in .357 sig and it is the bees knees.

I would compare them to a Glock in the sense they are true duty pistols and will run reliably even in incredibly harsh conditions and/or with minimal maintenance.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Chester County)

I can't think of anything I wouldn't do to mine. I lopped off the beavertail (it was sticking in my love-handle when carrying IWB) and right-side thumb safety. My trigger has smoothed out immensely over the first 1k rounds.

For sights, I'd highly recommend TruGlo Tritium Fiber Optic sights. The tritium makes them glow bright green at night, and the fiber optics make them glow bright green in daylight (unlike just tritiums that can look grey during the day). Amazon has them on Prime for $90 here: http://tinyurl.com/c6jpbgg. Everyone who shoots mine is impressed.

If you're interested in working the trigger yourself, Jeff Burwell (a premier name in M&P smithing) has instructions for the trigger jobs he does online here: http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

Congrats on your purchase, you'll love it!

Smile Re: Any good tips or do's and dont with an M&P

Shoot it alot.

(Blair County)

Do's - Send it to Dan Burwell (www.burwellgunsmithing.com) he will put on your sights and have him do a trigger job while your at it. His trigger job is fantastic.

Do Nots - well i won't go there, i guess my MP must of been a lemon. Good luck with yours.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

(Lancaster County)

Do they work well with Froglube?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lawrence County)

Swapping out the sights is a bitch and a half. The dovetails for the sights are obscenely tight and take a lot of work to remove. The rear sight requires that you remove the sear plunger in order to remove it as well. However, it is doable.

The trigger is described as gritty, but it's honestly not terrible. Dry and live fire the hell out of it and it'll smooth out.

Snap caps are always a good idea with any firearm when dry firing.

An APEX sear is a great upgrade down the line and makes the trigger pull feel much nicer. Highly suggested down the road.

Enjoy it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast