Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shows

(Allegheny County)

Default Gun Shows

Wondering what everyone's take might be on gun shows.

Is it an impressive array perfect for one-stop shopping?

Overwhelming?

Less desirable than dealing with a known and respected local shop?

Good shopping for accessories but not firearms?

I think there's a show in Monroeville this weekend. Wondering if i might be able to find an M&P Shield.

Basically looking for people's experiences.

(York County)

Default Re: Gun Shows

Every year they seem to get worse. Harder to find good deals on ammo or guns, and less of a selection with tables setting up non-gun related items like jewlery. The last 2 or 3 I went to seemed like I paid $10 to see everything I could at one of the many local shops around me. I stopped going to them.

(Allegheny County)

I have heard the one is Monroeville is mostly non firearms vendors.

I'm going to give this one a shot:

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-shows-111...ollectors.html

Like the computer shows of old I think the internet killed the gun show. Online it's easy to find rare parts or good prices on new gear.

(Indiana County)

The Monroeville show has piles of non-firearms crap mixed in with piles of over priced firearms crap.
    However, if you are looking for a hard to find item, a show is a good bet that you will find it, however over the years instead of using shows to discount merchandise in order to move it, dealers now use them as a way to improve their profit margin and seem to mark stuff up in the hopes a sucker will impulse buy without dickering on price.

The PGCA show in Tarentum is slightly better but is still overwhelmed with old farts and their overpriced wares that they have been toting to shows for the past 15 years and that they refuse to budge on price with.
    The sellers are more like pirates hoarding their treasures than actual sellers.

Years ago, at the old Greengate mall shows, dealers would take their overstock firearms and ammo as well as all their used trade ins and sell them at good prices to move them.
    Now a days, with such a high demand for guns, this is no longer the case. Many dealers price their guns at MSRP or slightly below waiting for a sucker.

A good place to browse and sometimes you get a few decent small dealers and private sellers with good prices, but they are the minority.

Still probably worth the price of admission since you have never been to one if you have time to kill.
    Last edited by 39flathead; August 17th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    The Monroeville show has piles of non-firearms crap mixed in with piles of over priced firearms crap.
    However, if you are looking for a hard to find item, a show is a good bet that you will find it, however over the years instead of using shows to discount merchandise in order to move it, dealers now use them as a way to improve their profit margin and seem to mark stuff up in the hopes a sucker will impulse buy without dickering on price.

The PGCA show in Tarentum is slightly better but is still overwhelmed with old farts and their overpriced wares that they have been toting to shows for the past 15 years and that they refuse to budge on price with.

The sellers are more like pirates hoarding their treasures than actual sellers.

Years ago, at the old Greengate mall shows, dealers would take their overstock firearms and ammo as well as all their used trade ins and sell them at good prices to move them.
    Now a days, with such a high demand for guns, this is no longer the case. Many dealers price their guns at MSRP or slightly below waiting for a sucker.

A good place to browse and sometimes you get a few decent small dealers and private sellers with good prices, but they are the minority.

Still probably worth the price of admission since you have never been to one if you have time to kill.

Wow. THERE'S a memory to rival almost any good childhood memory.

(sniff sniff)

Off to finish building that time machine...
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

An even older and better gun show memory is the OLD (late 80s and early 90s) Monroeville show at the old Expo-Mart. BOTH sides and the connecting hallway between filled with almost nothing but firearms and firearms related items. Dealers were selling stuff dirt cheap at times. Tons of private sellers as well as FFLs. Dealers came from Ohio, New York, Virginia and as far away as New Hampshire. This is the show at which I got my business up and running. I still miss it and many of those people, both dealers and customers, many of whom are now deceased.

As for local shows: The best show in West Pa. IS the PGCA show at the Mills Mall in Tarentum. Yes there are lots of old fuds who have been carrying the same stuff for 15 yrs. but there ARE lots of really fine, reasonable vendors there as well. Not as many private sellers as it's really getting hard (and expensive) to sell handguns without an FFL. There is also the lowest amount of non-gun junk not there as well.

The next best local show would be the Washington Co. show at the fairgrounds. Again, lots of good vendors, but more non-gun stuff. Probably few more private sellers there as well. Still, way better than the gun show/flea market at the Monroeville expo center. Monroeville's not bad; unless you don't compare and can deal with the junk.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Wow. THERE'S a memory to rival almost any good childhood memory.

(sniff sniff)

Off to finish building that time machine...
    Yep, those were the days, tables filled with $69 milsurps and used guns out the wazoo.

I can't even begin to guess how many guns I bought from Greengate and Expomart shows.

Compared to the maybe dozen I have come across worth buying in the last 10 years at other shows.

Stopped going to them years ago, they have turned into something resembling black Friday sales.
    You must pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Or you will loose.

At the recent split rock gun show there was a large selection of NEW firearms at average prices. The ammo deals didn't seem that hot...

Ditto ! Nothing special.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast