Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default first time stock fitting and finish job

I came across a deal for my interarms Mark X .

Its a Richards microfit wildcat style laminate, I remember seeing a thread about lycan using them and it turned out amazing looking, but I've also seen a lot of people having a bad hair day over them and supposed 99% inlet claim.

My main questions are:
    1. Are they really that terrible to finish? I don't need it done in a hurry so time is a non issue I'm turning my cheap deer rifle into my "passed down through the family heirloom"

2. what tools should I need for the job? I have some woodworking skills but I'm no master craftsman lol

3. Should I bed it (pillar or glass) or would the laminate stock be stiff enough?

Ps its in a black syn butler creek stock now shoots fine so this is mostly for looks

Thanks for any help
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(York County)

Default Re: first time stock fitting and finnish job

Richards Microfit stocks are more work than the Boyds Laminate. The inletting is not near as nice and there is ALOT of extra wood to remove when shaping.

You will need scrapers and wood chisels, sandpaper with a sanding block and a dowl or socket for the barrel channel. REMEMBER- GO SLOW, you can always take a little more out, but it is not so easy adding anything

I would glassbed the action and bottom metal. Take your time and do it right and you will have a gun that can be passed down generations.

I have 2 rifles that have Boyds stocks, 1 laminated and 1 walnut that look really good. I also have 2 custom Mauser 98's in Butler Creek stocks 1 in .308 and the other in 9.3x62 (which I am taking to Africa in 4 weeks)

Good Luck!

(Columbia County)

Default Re: first time stock fitting and finnish job

Boyds are very nice but I didn't see the wildcat style on the site, and I got mine with a pad plus studs already mounted for $118 shipped should be here in a few weeks too. kinda excited cuz my first try at it was refinishing a mosin turned out very nice, but was stolen shortly after it was done.

I know this project isn't going to be a McDonalds route for a custom stock but I'll feel much better about it knowing I took the time to do it myself
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...