Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Firearm registration/transfer approval?

I was reading THIS PAGE when I stumbled upon 10814 and 10-814a.

Unless I am reading this wrong, it seems like Philly requires a person to obtain a license from them to buy, sell, transfer, or posses a firearm within Philly. Parts of 10-814a also makes it look like one must prove they took a basic firearms class prior to obtaining their LTCF.

Has anyone run into this before or ran into problems because their pistol wasn't "registered" with PPD?

I am aware that this seems to violate the UFA, but I am wondering if this is something that is actually enforced.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Firearm registration/transfer approval?

GEORGE W. SCHNECK, HOWARD M. KUEHNER AND THE PENNSYLVANIA FEDERATION OF SPORTSMEN'S CLUBS, INC., APPELLANTS
    v.
    CITY OF PHILADELPHIA, ET AL., APPELLEES

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_14/19..._Decision.html

Superior Court of Pennsylvania

218 Pa. Super. 72; 272 A.2d 275; 1970 Pa. Super.1080

September 14, 1970, Argued
    December 10, 1970, Decided

SUBSEQUENT HISTORY: [***1]

Reargument Refused December 24, 1970.

PRIOR HISTORY:

Appeals from judgments of Court of Common Pleas, Trial Division, of Philadelphia, May T., 1968, No. 519, and Oct. T., 1969, No. 444, in cases of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. Frederick Ray; Same v. Hosie Jeffcoat.

DISPOSITION: Judgments affirmed in part and reversed in part.

COUNSEL: Thomas C. Carroll, Assistant Defender, with him John W. Packel, Assistant Defender, and Vincent J. Ziccardi, Defender, for appellant.

James D. Crawford, Deputy District Attorney, with him Richard A. Sprague, First Assistant District Attorney, and Arlen Specter, District Attorney, for Commonwealth, appellee.

JUDGES: Wright, P. J., Watkins, Montgomery, Jacobs, Hoffman, Spaulding, and Cercone, JJ. Opinion by Watkins, J.

OPINIONBY: WATKINS

OPINION: [*74] [**276] These are appeals by the Commonwealth from the order of the Court of Common Pleas, Trial Division, Criminal Section, of Philadelphia, dismissing prosecutions under Section 10-814 and Section 10-818 of The Philadelphia Code and indictments for carrying a concealed deadly weapon and for unlawfully carrying a firearm without a license under the Uniform Firearms Act of 1939, June 24, P. L. [***2] 872, § 628, 18 P.S. 4628 and its amendments. The Court directed verdicts of not guilty of the indictable offenses of carrying a concealed deadly weapon and, holding Section 10-814 and Section 10-818 of The Philadelphia Code unconstitutional, dismissed the summary charges under the Code and held that Sections e.1 and e.2 of Section 628 of the Uniform Firearms Act, 1968, July 30, P. L. [ILLEGIBLE WORD], § 1, 18 P.S. 4628 as unconstitutional and dismissed the indictable offenses without decision on the merits.

(Northampton County)

Ah, thank you.

Seeing as how this case was from over 30 years ago, I wonder why the ordinances are still available online... well, unless Philly kept them "on the books" but just don't enforce them any more (really wouldn't surprise me).

Imagine you're a City Councilman explaining why you voted to remove these ordinances designed to protect the residents of Philadelphia. Never mind that the ordinance is unconstitutional and unenforceable. Perhaps it also provides some cover to the Philadelphia police in impounding firearms--the ordinance is as written and it's not for the police to decide its constitutionality. Or maybe it's just sloth--like the ordinances in Ohio or somewhere that require someone to walk in front of horseless carriages waving a red flag.