Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Encoded Ammo & Ammo Reporting Requirements Legislation being proposed

saving this spot for the bills IF and when introduced
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Allegheny County)

Default Encoded Ammo & Ammo Reporting Requirements Legislation being proposed

Encoded Ammo & Ammo Reporting Requirements Legislation being proposed

Neither one of these proposed bills will do ANYTHING to prevent crime or stop criminals with intent to harm people, both will raise the cost of ammo in PA, along with causing you another great inconvenience and possibly face JAIL TIME for any violation of the letter of the law, without any criminal intent.

Two proposed legislation by Representative Harold James

Here are the co sponsor memos, read them for yourself

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...11/0/10222.pdf

Ammunition Reporting Requirements Legislation

In the near future, I plan to introduce legislation that requires the sale or transfer of 500 or more
    rounds of firearm ammunition to be reported to the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP).

In Pennsylvania, individuals may purchase an unlimited quantity of firearm ammunition, and the
    sale of ammunition is not reported to law enforcement officials. Being aware of the purchases of
    excessive amounts of ammunition could be critical to an investigation, particularly considering
    that information pertaining to ammunition purchases is currently unavailable. Providing such
    information to law enforcement would also give the officers the ability to take precautionary
    measures when responding to an emergency call involving a suspect that previously purchased a
    large quantity of ammunition,

My legislation would amend Title 18 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes to require
    firearm ammunition transactions exceeding 500 or more rounds of ammunition be reported to the
    PSP, including transfers and internet sales of ammunition. This report would be ultimately
    distributed to the municipal police department where the sale, transfer, or internet purchase
    occurred, and any seller or purchaser that violates the provisions established by the enactment of
    this bill would be committing a third-degree misdemeanor.

I plan to introduce this legislation by August 24(h If you would like to co-sponsor this legislation
    to ensure our police departments are provided with the information they need to protect the
    residents of this Commonwealth, please contact Debbie Wegert at 717-783-1792 or
    DWegert(aiyahouse.net.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...11/0/10223.pdf

Encoded Ammunition Legislation

In the near future, I plan to introduce legislation that will require firearm ammunition
    manufactured or sold in Pennsylvania to be encoded with an identifying serial number.

When a firearm is purchased in this Commonwealth, it is registered with the Pennsylvania State
    Police; however, the ammunition used in conjunction with the firearm does not have comparable
    registration requirements. During the investigation of a crime involving the use of a firearm, law
    enforcement officers may find it difficult to determine the specific firearm used, since there is no
    identifying information at the scene. With the use of encoded ammunition, a bullet recovered
    may provide identifying information of the purchaser of the ammunition that can ultimately lead
    the investigators to an individual involved in the crime.

My legislation, which amends Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated
    Statutes, would provide law enforcement officers with this critical assistance by requiring
    manufactures to encode firearm ammunition that is provided for retail sale. An identical serial
    number is to be encoded on each base and cartridge casing of the bullets within a single box. In
    addition, sellers of fireanus must enter identifying information into an established database,
    including the purchasers name and the identifying serial number of the purchased ammunition.
    Moreover, this legislation would create penalties and grading classifications for sellers,
    individuals, or ammunition manufacturers that violate these provisions. It would also establish
    an encoded ammunition tax, which would impose $0.05 on each round of encoded ammunition
    purchased.

I plan to introduce this legislation by August 24~. If you would like to co-sponsor this
    legislation, please contact Debbie Wegert in my Harrisburg Office at 717-783-1792 or
    DWegert(~Thahouse.net.

FYI

Realistically with the few fall session days left in the 2011-2012 session, these will not be getting passed this year, so expect them to come back up next year along with a bunch of gun control for the 2013-2014 session.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Encoded Ammo & Ammo Reporting Requirements Legislation being proposed

So they're going to serial number the cases? Oh boy, that'll help solve so many crimes! And I already feel safer!

Between this and the article about the 14 year old kid stealing a car and his mom saying that it wasn't his fault, the lollercopter is at full-power today.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    In addition, sellers of fireanus must enter identifying information into an established database
    For the love of everything sacred and funny please tell me that typo was in the original memo
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

I thought the technology for encoding ammunition was to put the code on the firing pin so that it would mark the primer (or, I suppose, the rimfire case). The firing pin is coded and codes each case it fires. Such a scheme (whether or not it works or appeals to you) would not increase the cost of ammunition. This proposal is different and would increase the cost of ammunition.

(Chester County)

And what of reloads?

I could pick up empty brass from somebody at the range, reload it then use it in a crime. This plan has fail written all over it. Granted most gang bangers aren't using reloads nor do they reload but it still leaves a shadow of doubt in legal proceedings.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    I thought the technology for encoding ammunition was to put the code on the firing pin so that it would mark the primer (or, I suppose, the rimfire case). The firing pin is coded and codes each case it fires. Such a scheme (whether or not it works or appeals to you) would not increase the cost of ammunition. This proposal is different and would increase the cost of ammunition.
    Firearm microstamping - brief concept is to engrave serial # on breech or on firing pin (both?) so that the expended ammo cases is imprinted with info. Uses standard ammo, each gun has to be engraved

Encoding ammunition – brief concept is each bullet has a unique serial engrave and is registered to you at time of purchase. These proposals usually make it ILLEGAL to even posses any non encoded ammo after a certain date. uses standard gun with no modification, just each & every single bullet has to be engraved (be total read-able after impact as well)

In this thread about firearm preemption there is a filed amendment to SB 273 (as are other numerous anti-gun ones) waiting a long promised up or down vote in the full house in spring of 2012.
    we are still waiting ....as the session clock runs out of time
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...w-page-39.html
    the same concepts are in these two amendments for better explaination of your question.

edit: see June 8, 2012 post #279 for the actual text of amendments as a PDF attachment to expand on the outlines below

A11264 Bishop-- Oppose anti-gun- This legislation continues the illusions that have been so soundly mitigated by academic science and is only focused on making firearms more difficult to use in self-defense situations and in adding additional costs to the manufacture of ammunition.
    1. Mandatory trigger locks for all handguns except antiques
    2. Requires ballistics identifiers & and creation of database of all firearm sales or transferred for ballistics identifiers except antiques to be entered into a qualified database.

A11265 Myers-- Oppose anti-gun -Encoded ammunition, each single bullet must contain its own serial number and be entered into a new database with your name DOB (in short each bullet is registered to you personally).
    Every encoded bullet sold in PA at time of sale must be registered to the purchaser with required documentation , no non encoded bullets will be allowed to be sold in PA, boxes of ammo may only contain the correct encoded bullets in that box.
    Every single bullet that is not encoded must be disposed on or before Jan 1, 2014 and makes it illegal and a crime to possessor sell any non-encoded bullet in PA after that date that is not registered in that database.
    This legislation would effectively end the following:
    1. Reloading of ammunition for handguns and rifles
    2. Casting of lead bullets for antique firearms and especially competitions with modern firearms
    3. The manufacture of custom bullets for a variety of firearm competitions
    PLEASE do not confuse these two amendments to SB 273 as part of the proposed bill listed in Rep James memos

Till the actual text is filed by prime sponsor, these two filed amendments are just to illustrate the difference in concepts to better answer cgk question

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    For the love of everything sacred and funny please tell me that typo was in the original memo
    That error was what occurred with the copy and paste Accidently happened from original PDF when copied the whole paragraph, for whatever reason changed that text in re formatting, it was not in original co-sponsorship memo as you can see from provided link, as always go to original source to verify.

Going to leave post as written as it is funny, as the error has been explained no reason to correct now
    Last edited by WhiteFeather; August 16th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    And what of reloads?

I could pick up empty brass from somebody at the range, reload it then use it in a crime. This plan has fail written all over it. Granted most gang bangers aren't using reloads nor do they reload but it still leaves a shadow of doubt in legal proceedings.
    Don't worry, I'm sure using brass that isn't registered to you will be a crime.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    And what of reloads?

Well, you're probably labeled a terrorist by the gov if youmreload your own ammunition. And terrorists shouldn't have ammunition or guns. And....

(Susquehanna County)

I should have known!

Harold James
    District 186
    Democrat, serving Philadelphia County (Part)

FWIW this is close akin to the the micro-stamping law already in committee and laws introduced and died in the last session. Since these are Co-sponsorship memos, afaik no actual bill has been filed yet. I'm sure Whitefeather will let us now when that happens.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast