Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: denied for m1 third and last dui in 2000

what happens if he already owned firearms? would they try to take them?
    so if you have say 10 firearms and get into trouble, you are not allowed to have 11? sorry for asking but i don't get the reasoning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    what happens if he already owned firearms? would they try to take them?
    so if you have say 10 firearms and get into trouble, you are not allowed to have 11? sorry for asking but i don't get the reasoning behind it.
    My interpretation is I will need to get rid of all my current firearms within sixty days after second challenge has expired, which is 60 days from when they responded to my first challenge. So my misdemeanor 12 years ago can get me a felony even though no agency ever informed me that i was a prohibited person.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    My interpretation is I will need to get rid of all my current firearms within sixty days after second challenge has expired, which is 60 days from when they responded to my first challenge. So my misdemeanor 12 years ago can get me a felony even though no agency ever informed me that i was a prohibited person.
    If you are in deed prohibited, that 60 days would have been from the date of your conviction 12 years ago. ...and that is only for state law.

Federal law doesn't give you any time to legal dispose of your guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you are in deed prohibited, that 60 days would have been from the date of your conviction 12 years ago. ...and that is only for state law.

Federal law doesn't give you any time to legal dispose of your guns.
    great, more good news......

(Montgomery County)

One of my cousins got a DUI and they took his gun and knives he had pretty much right away after the court hearings and sentencing. His was back in 2005 or 2006 and was told basically to wait 8-10 years before trying to get his record cleared, otherwise it would be denied pretty quick in the process.
    If your last one was in 2000 I'd say get a lawyer and start the process now. It took my wife about 5 years to get her record cleared. She has bought 2 firearms since then. She said its a better feeling just knowing she can buy a gun than it was buying them.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Northumberland County)

doesnt that have anything to do with being a "habitual drunkard" that also prohibits firearm ownership.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    I've paid my dues to society and moved on.
    IF the penalty is really that based on your offenses you can not own firearms then in fact you have not yet paid your dues, and will not until the day you die. Not saying its right but not liking the punishment and just moving on is not the same as not having to pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    IF the penalty is really that based on your offenses you can not own firearms then in fact you have not yet paid your dues, and will not until the day you die. Not saying its right but not liking the punishment and just moving on is not the same as not having to pay the price.
    What I did was wrong, I will never argue that point. However I was in my early 20's. Young and dumb. I got two in a month in 93, then one in 2000. I'f I could go back in time and tell the dumb kid behind the wheel how stupid he was I would. I can't. I'm not asking for sympathy or even your understanding. I just have a hard time accepting the fact that I lost one of my constitutional rights. Especially this one. I've been hunting and fishing all my life. I never enjoyed killing, but I do understand the basics of kill, eat survive. That is gone, if you would like to consider that my fault, in a sense, you are correct but I didn't write the rulebook. I've always known a felon cannot own a weapon but never in a million years did i know that a dui could prevent me from hunting, protecting my family, or lead to a felony for gun possession charge. Do some research about some of the horiffic crimes that won't get you a prohibited person status.

Thanks for your input. Freedom of speech. I have to check to see if I still have that one.

(Venango County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Dude...that last post came off like such a whiner

Age is no excuse. DUI is a DUI at any age...let alone 3

Ever hear of the phrase "your rights end where my nose starts" ?

You lost your 2A rights because of you and you alone...blaming a rulebook is bush league

You KNEW drunk driving was ILLEGAL but yet you still DID IT ..and you want to blame others for no gun ownership

Time to find a new forum

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    doesnt that have anything to do with being a "habitual drunkard" that also prohibits firearm ownership.
    No. "Habitual drunkard" only applies to getting a LTCF. That call is upon the sheriff or chief of police to make when issuing the LTCF.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast