Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,623
    Rep Power
    1147459

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Another example of government run amuck. The notion that one should have to rely on a WCO to make a ruling on such an issue is ridiculous. They are neither attorneys, nor legislators. Any law that includes such ambiguity (regardless of the focus) should not exist. Better to choose an arbitrary limity (a distance, in this case), and live with the consequences of the odd case where someone can game the rules than to leave everyone clueless and vulnerable to being a violation of a law that sets no clear restriction.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. (bold/italics) I was shocked that I couldn't find it defined in the digest. Even if it were legal, I wouldn't set up over a bait pile but, I have no issues with leaving food out there pretty much year round (except while season is in) so the deer have a reason to come through more often.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    882
    Rep Power
    441728

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. (bold/italics) I was shocked that I couldn't find it defined in the digest. Even if it were legal, I wouldn't set up over a bait pile but, I have no issues with leaving food out there pretty much year round (except while season is in) so the deer have a reason to come through more often.
    There is no set distance because amount and type of bait and terrain make each case unique.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

    John F Kennedy.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bucks County, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    424
    Rep Power
    9104

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Another example of government run amuck. The notion that one should have to rely on a WCO to make a ruling on such an issue is ridiculous. They are neither attorneys, nor legislators. Any law that includes such ambiguity (regardless of the focus) should not exist. Better to choose an arbitrary limity (a distance, in this case), and live with the consequences of the odd case where someone can game the rules than to leave everyone clueless and vulnerable to being a violation of a law that sets no clear restriction.
    Perfectly said

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,623
    Rep Power
    1147459

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    There is no set distance because amount and type of bait and terrain make each case unique.
    Based on the information I provided in the pic and posts in this thread.... Would YOU consider hunting 150+ yards away from the neighbors bait/mineral lick to be hunting over bait or a baited area?
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    3035

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    My hunting partner had a run in with his non hunting neighbor. My buddy has 110 acres that he farms and hunts, 1 of his stands is within 30 yds of the property line with said non-hunting neighbor. The non hunting neighbor, out of spite, put a corn feeder up on his property within 50 yds of my buddy's stand. My buddy called the Game Commision who told him he could no longer hunt that stand as long as that feeder was up or until 30 days after its removal.

    NOW THAT SUCKS!!!!

    Karma sucks though, non hunting neighbor seems to be having all sorts of problems around the place now.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    3C, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    473
    Rep Power
    18269

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by sincitynut View Post
    My hunting partner had a run in with his non hunting neighbor. My buddy has 110 acres that he farms and hunts, 1 of his stands is within 30 yds of the property line with said non-hunting neighbor. The non hunting neighbor, out of spite, put a corn feeder up on his property within 50 yds of my buddy's stand. My buddy called the Game Commision who told him he could no longer hunt that stand as long as that feeder was up or until 30 days after its removal.

    NOW THAT SUCKS!!!!

    Karma sucks though, non hunting neighbor seems to be having all sorts of problems around the place now.
    That's just mean, man! Kind of like the guy on here posted the video of the neighbor driving around loudly on his ATV and blasting an air horn. Get a life! People really do suck sometimes. I would not send him a Christmas card or have him over for some 'nog.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    lehigh valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    509890

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I looked through the Hunting Digest and can't seem to find a definition/calculation.



    Background: I’ve been hunting my dad’s farm for years. We put food/mineral supplements out for the deer all spring and summer. We do this to try to adjust/control their habitual paths through the farm. More so they establish a “familiar path” through the farm where it is safe to shoot them with a rifle. I/we make sure the area isn’t baited for the required 30 days prior to gun season. None of our tree stands (our ladder stands are left in place year round) are placed within range of the “bait” and/or have interfering terrain so none of us could shoot a deer in the baited area (depending on how the area is defined). AFAIK, this is a non-issue because the bait and remnants are long gone before gun season. This has never been an issue because I’ve always made sure to bow hunt on the other side of the farm.

    Situation: I checked the game cameras last night and found the guy on the adjacent property had bait and a game camera set up about 10 yards from the property line which is 70yds from where I planned to use my climber stand during archery season. The new owner of the adjacent property doesn’t bow hunt but has made it clear, we are not to cross the boundary without permission.
    Facts:

    1) Distance from food/bait I/WE put out, to my planned archery stand @ 300 yds.

    2) Distance from neighbors food/bait to my planned archery stand @ 80 yds.

    Questions:

    1) What defines the “baited” area? Dimensions?

    2) Does it matter if the “bait” is on the neighbors property? I/we don’t have permission to hunt that land and have no control over what they do?

    3) If I go forward with my planned archery location, would it be considered “Hunting a baited area?” I can’t hit the baited area with my bow and it would be illegal to shoot across the property line.

    I can always choose a new location but the question remains, how far away from the food do I have to go to be considered “outside” the baited area?

    Bottom line there is no reg on this subject they can come in and close a area up with no restrictions on a distance. It's best to just get rid off it because the "area" is made up by the the WCO. They will bust balls.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ephrata, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    263
    Rep Power
    462135

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Based on the information I provided in the pic and posts in this thread.... Would YOU consider hunting 150+ yards away from the neighbors bait/mineral lick to be hunting over bait or a baited area?
    That's a really tough question. If you're hunting on a route you know that deer will be traveling to get to/from the bait, I would consider it a violation. My reason for that is in the first couple words of the regulation "taking advantage of food or bait" Within range of a shot doesn't have anything to do with it imo.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,623
    Rep Power
    1147459

    Default Re: How far away from "bait" is far enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by nater99 View Post
    That's a really tough question. If you're hunting on a route you know that deer will be traveling to get to/from the bait, I would consider it a violation. My reason for that is in the first couple words of the regulation "taking advantage of food or bait" Within range of a shot doesn't have anything to do with it imo.
    I'm gonna end up moving my mineral licks tomorrow. I can't change what the neighbor did... so I'll have to adjust.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: May 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 6th, 2011, 12:38 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops