Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Response from Mike Fitzpatrick on H.R. 822

You are receiving this letter because you recently wrote to Mike Fitzpatrick.
    Please do not reply to this email as this inbox is unattended.
    SpryMAIL

August 14, 2012

Dear Dominic,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. It is an honor to serve you as I represent the Eighth District of Pennsylvania.

I want you to know that I share your concerns when it comes to gun rights which is why I have co-sponsored this important piece of legislation that passed the House with bi-partisan support, 272-154. This legislation would allow gun owners to carry concealed handguns across state lines if they have permits and proper identification.

There was concern that the bill may create a federal licensing system which has been addressed by the National Rifle Association: The bill would not create a federal licensing system, nor would it establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit; rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

The Second Amendment provides law abiding citizens with the individual constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Unfortunately, all too often, responsible gun owners have been punished for the wrongdoing of criminals and have seen their constitutionally expressed Second Amendment rights infringed. Legislation must stop targeting hunters, responsible gun owners, and gun manufacturers, and instead focus on the real problem - criminals’ illegal use of firearms. I will continue to oppose any and all efforts to deny responsible citizens their constitutionally protected right to bear arms.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this or any other legislative matter, please do not hesitate to contact my office at (202) 225-4276. For additional information, please visit my website www.fitzpatrick.house.gov. From this site you can sign up for my e-newsletter, access statements about current events or pending legislation and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for the 8th District of Pennsylvania. You can also connect with me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RepFitzpatrick, or follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/RepFitzpatrick.

Sincerely,

Mike Fitzpatrick

Mike Fitzpatrick
    Member of Congress
    [SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Response from Mike Fitzpatrick on H.R. 822

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. It is an honor to serve you as I represent the Eighth District of Pennsylvania.

I want you to know that I share your concerns when it comes to gun rights which is why I have co-sponsored this important piece of legislation that passed the House with bi-partisan support, 272-154. This legislation would allow gun owners to carry concealed handguns across state lines if they have permits and proper identification.

There was concern that the bill may create a federal licensing system which has been addressed by the National Rifle Association: The bill would not create a federal licensing system, nor would it establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit; rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

The Second Amendment provides law abiding citizens with the individual constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Unfortunately, all too often, responsible gun owners have been punished for the wrongdoing of criminals and have seen their constitutionally expressed Second Amendment rights infringed. Legislation must stop targeting hunters, responsible gun owners, and gun manufacturers, and instead focus on the real problem - criminals’ illegal use of firearms. I will continue to oppose any and all efforts to deny responsible citizens their constitutionally protected right to bear arms.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this or any other legislative matter, please do not hesitate to contact my office at (202) 225-4276. For additional information, please visit my website www.fitzpatrick.house.gov. From this site you can sign up for my e-newsletter, access statements about current events or pending legislation and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for the 8th District of Pennsylvania. You can also connect with me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RepFitzpatrick, or follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/RepFitzpatrick.

Sincerely,

Mike Fitzpatrick

Mike Fitzpatrick
    Member of Congress

Thanks for posting this. I'm also in Fitzpatrick's district and based on my experience with him (all in his first term), I'm surprised that he wrote such an unambiguous reply.

I'll have to look more closely at this bill. I have always opposed national reciprocity on the grounds that it would eventually become a way for states like NJ, NY and CA - and the Fed - to impose their standards on free and relatively free states. While the wording of the bill may in theory prevent this, it's the actual implementation that worries me.

Bill

(Delaware County)

Please post the letter you sent him so that we can use it to send to our Reps.

Mike Fitzpatrick is a stand up guy! I once talked to him on the phone at 0100 in college after a buddy who interned for him the summer before made a poor drunk dial decision.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyVet View Post
    Please post the letter you sent him so that we can use it to send to our Reps.
    I didnt save the letter I used. Just send youre thoughts and be respectful.
    [SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

I'm fairly certain there is some software looking for keywords and then sending the appropriate form letter back. I have received the exact same reply a couple of times now. One of the e-mails had nothing to do with 822, but because I mentioned it, I got the standard form letter.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)