Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Couldn't help but notice your gun!"

With the kids in tow, ran some errands the other day which took us through DelCo and Bucks Co. First stop was Martindales in Springfield. Great independent health food store (I'm told the first in the nation) with loads of great organic produce and grass-fed meat. Standing in line waiting to be rung up, I hear an obnoxiously loud female voice say "I couldn't help notice your gun!" Now, the majority of Martindales clientele are NOT heavily muscled and tattooed and OCing a G20 with a 6" LW barrel. So, my first reaction was to calmly look around (the store was packed)to see whose eyes and ears were on me before responding, "And....".

Her- "Well what is it?"
    Me- "Its a 10mm glock."
    Her- "Yeah, my husband carries one of those. He's a cop".
    Me- "He's a cop and carries a 10mm? What department?"
    Her- "Lansdale. He doesn't like people open carrying".
    Me- "I assure you he is not carrying a 10mm, and is entitled to his opinion as long it doesn't interfere with his job. Thanks for drawing the entire stores attention to my OCing and have a good day."

From there it was off to Sovereign Bank, where I have OCd for over a year. I had to see the manager and after completing my business, the manager nervously looks at my hip and says, "what is that?" "What?" as I follow her gaze downward. "Oh, its a firearm." She looks nervously around to the 2 tellers and says, "I'm not sure you can carry that in here." I responded with a chuckle, "I have openly carried in here a million times!" "Well, maybe no one ever noticed." I left with, "please check with corporate and if there is a problem, call me. I will switch banks immediately. Good day."

Off to Bucks and The Guitar Center in Langhorne. I have 2 teen-aged, heavy metal crazed, guitar players who take their music and equipment seriously. So, we were there a good 2 hours. The employees noticed but nothing was said. To me. I accompanied my one son into the specially humidified room for the acoustic guitars. My other son was blazing away on a Pantera solo in the main room. Thats when he was approached. "Hey, is your dad a cop?" My son stopped playing and asked, "Why? Do you need one?" Laughingly, the guy said, "Its cool. My dad was a cop, too"....and walked away. He told me about it as we were leaving. I wasn't cool with the idea that the employee took away the impression that I was a cop, but convinced it had nothing to do with my sons response. N of course, no one ever asked me.

Default Re: "Couldn't help but notice your gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by FTNWO View Post
    With the kids in tow, ran some errands the other day which took us through DelCo and Bucks Co. First stop was Martindales in Springfield. Great independent health food store (I'm told the first in the nation) with loads of great organic produce and grass-fed meat. Standing in line waiting to be rung up, I hear an obnoxiously loud female voice say "I couldn't help notice your gun!" Now, the majority of Martindales clientele are NOT heavily muscled and tattooed and OCing a G20 with a 6" LW barrel. So, my first reaction was to calmly look around (the store was packed)to see whose eyes and ears were on me before responding, "And....".

Her- "Well what is it?"
    Me- "Its a 10mm glock."
    Her- "Yeah, my husband carries one of those. He's a cop".
    Me- "He's a cop and carries a 10mm? What department?"
    Her- "Lansdale. He doesn't like people open carrying".
    Me- "I assure you he is not carrying a 10mm, and is entitled to his opinion as long it doesn't interfere with his job. Thanks for drawing the entire stores attention to my OCing and have a good day."

From there it was off to Sovereign Bank, where I have OCd for over a year. I had to see the manager and after completing my business, the manager nervously looks at my hip and says, "what is that?" "What?" as I follow her gaze downward. "Oh, its a firearm." She looks nervously around to the 2 tellers and says, "I'm not sure you can carry that in here." I responded with a chuckle, "I have openly carried in here a million times!" "Well, maybe no one ever noticed." I left with, "please check with corporate and if there is a problem, call me. I will switch banks immediately. Good day."

Off to Bucks and The Guitar Center in Langhorne. I have 2 teen-aged, heavy metal crazed, guitar players who take their music and equipment seriously. So, we were there a good 2 hours. The employees noticed but nothing was said. To me. I accompanied my one son into the specially humidified room for the acoustic guitars. My other son was blazing away on a Pantera solo in the main room. Thats when he was approached. "Hey, is your dad a cop?" My son stopped playing and asked, "Why? Do you need one?" Laughingly, the guy said, "Its cool. My dad was a cop, too"....and walked away. He told me about it as we were leaving. I wasn't cool with the idea that the employee took away the impression that I was a cop, but convinced it had nothing to do with my sons response. N of course, no one ever asked me.
    I admire your courage to put up with this nonsense...interactions like that can easily ruin someone's day if they let them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I admire your courage to put up with this nonsense...interactions like that can easily ruin someone's day if they let them.
    Yep, kudos and +rep to the OP for keeping a good attitude.

(Tioga County)

Nice reply you gave to that first busybody and the bank manager.
    MikeP

(Bucks County)

Man, I think I feel sorry for that woman's husband.

(Luzerne County)

Bravo well done
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Cambria County)

"Hey, is your dad a cop?" My son stopped playing and asked, "Why? Do you need one?"
    Good stuff right there!! Good for your son!

(Delaware County)

The term "sidearm" might have calmed the Manage down some. Be prepared to switch banks. The Zombies don't like the firearm thing.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Allegheny County)

"Hey, is your dad a cop?" My son stopped playing and asked, "Why? Do you need one?"

LOL - great response. I have to remember that one if I am ever asked the same queston.

I am always amazed that OC is an issue to the public.

(Bucks County)

I'm wondering why you drove all the way to Langhorne when there is a Guitar Center in Plymouth Meeting, right up the Blue Route from Springfield.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast