Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Do MD LEO's apply to PA law?

Perhaps we have some Maryland LEOs that live in PA who can provide some information.

Last Sept I moved from MD to PA. My wife is LEO in MD. She was advised to obtain a PA License to carry since she now drives across the state line. She asked others in her dpt. that live in PA., and they all responded that she needs to do it. Not a big deal or problem to us....but I'm curious....she always carries in her duty holster, even when wearing Dept t-shirt/polo and tactical pants, 95% of time she is in uniform. She has no concealed back-up weapon. So, wouldn't this be Open Carry anyhow?

Gnbrotz, HeavyD and myself discussed this at lunch today (two great guys by the way). Gnbrotz did some research on the laws (thanks again Greg), but they were a bit grey concerning this.

My wife is going to ask her Captain for specifics. It was her unit sgt that advised her, but had no answer or reason.

I'd be interested in others opinions, or experience.
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Chester County)

Default Re: Do MD LEO's apply to PA law?

Unless she plans to walk to work, she needs a LTCF to be able to drive with her gun in a holster on her hip.

Right?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    Perhaps we have some Maryland LEOs that live in PA who can provide some information.

Last Sept I moved from MD to PA. My wife is LEO in MD. She was advised to obtain a PA License to carry since she now drives across the state line. She asked others in her dpt. that live in PA., and they all responded that she needs to do it. Not a big deal or problem to us....but I'm curious....she always carries in her duty holster, even when wearing Dept t-shirt/polo and tactical pants, 95% of time she is in uniform. She has no concealed back-up weapon. So, wouldn't this be Open Carry anyhow?

Gnbrotz, HeavyD and myself discussed this at lunch today (two great guys by the way). Gnbrotz did some research on the laws (thanks again Greg), but they were a bit grey concerning this.

My wife is going to ask her Captain for specifics. It was her unit sgt that advised her, but had no answer or reason.

I'd be interested in others opinions, or experience.
    What kind of LEO are we talking?

If she's police, and she's actively employed, then she's legal to carry concealed in PA under 18 U.S.C. 926B, which is the federal preclusion statute -- the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.

EDIT TO ADD:

Here are the criteria for her being covered by LEOSA (and thus not required to have a LTCF in PA to carry concealed):

She must: (i) be "an employee of a governmental agency"; (ii) be "authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law"; (iii) have "statutory powers of arrest"; (iv) be "authorized by the agency to carry a firearm"; (v) "not (be) the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency"; (vi) "meet() (the) standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm"; and (vii) "not (be) prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm."

No carry while drinking, and she can't carry on private property if the owner tells her to leave, or on state/local govt property if precluded by state/local law.

So, basically, if she's a cop, she's covered, if she's something like a prison guard (where she wouldn't have arrest powers or be allowed to carry a firearm off duty as a matter of right due to her job) she won't be covered.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; March 2nd, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Unless she plans to walk to work, she needs a LTCF to be able to drive with her gun in a holster on her hip.

Right?
    Not if she's LEOSA covered. Then she's fine.

But if she's not covered by LEOSA, then yeah, she can't carry in the car in PA unless she has a LTCF (or the gun is unloaded and inaccessible or locked up).
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Not if she's LEOSA covered. Then she's fine.

But if she's not covered by LEOSA, then yeah, she can't carry in the car in PA unless she has a LTCF (or the gun is unloaded and inaccessible or locked up).
    Sheesh... just when I think I start to have a handle on the the laws.... there's always another one for me to try and learn.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Sheesh... just when I think I start to have a handle on the the laws.... there's always another one for me to try and learn.
    Don't worry about it -- it's a big world (legally).

For what it's worth, LEOSA is really, really unconstitutional -- but nobody has sued because it's for the police.

If Congress passed the same law to apply to concealed carry for non-police, it'd be challenged in court and invalidated in a second.

(Adams County)

What kind of LEO are we talking?

If she's police, and she's actively employed, then she's legal to carry concealed in PA under 18 U.S.C. 926B, which is the federal preclusion statute -- the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.
    Sheriffs Deputy. She is a Corporal currently assigned to the Courthouse Security Unit.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    Sheriffs Deputy. She is a Corporal currently assigned to the Courthouse Security Unit.
    I don't know her powers/authority/etc., so I'm not going to give you a definitive answer. Tell her to look at the list. Tell her to talk to her Captain, and specifically reference LEOSA.

And even if she weren't, have you ever met a LEO that wouldn't look the other way for an out of jurisdiction officer carrying? It's de rigueur.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I don't know her powers/authority/etc., so I'm not going to give you a definitive answer. Tell her to look at the list. Tell her to talk to her Captain, and specifically reference LEOSA.

And even if she weren't, have you ever met a LEO that wouldn't look the other way for an out of jurisdiction officer carrying? It's de rigueur.

Thanks for the info. She's addressing this with her Captain in the morning. She is VERY by the book......and it would kill her to find out she was in violation of something. Some LEO's look the other way on stuff (mostly I benefit from it though LOL)...but there are those few extremely green small town types fresh from "whatever" academy that would want to make a point the hard way. She won't take the chance of that happening....trust me.

(York County)

I know this is a crappy situation, with no real claer answer. But it may just be aesier to get a LTCF. I say this because I have not heard good things about Pa LEO's and offering "professional courtesy" to out of state LEO's.

BB
    3%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast