Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Gun Shop Etiquette

This is an interesting topic that I stumbled upon on the Cheaper than Dirt website:

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=20745

On one line in the article the Arthur suggest leaving if someone is performing unsafe practices at the store. I for one would not leave, I would do the opposite, either notify the person who works there or tell the person myself.

Other than that, its a good article. Anybody want to add to this?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Gun Shop Etiquette

My advice for shoppers is this:

1) gun shop employees are typically not lawyers and are not there to give you legal advice

2) asking to see only the cheapest guns on display is a great way to make everyone on the other side of the counter uncomfortable

3) you can be disrespectful without saying anything; if another customer is looking at a firearm don't crowd around him/her to get a look. Wait until a clerk is free and ask to see it on your own.

4) using video game or slang terms to refer to weapons might just make others uncomfortable with selling you a gun

5) don't use a laser pointer in the store and don't point a laser sight at anyone even if it isn't attached to a firearm

6) you can be refused service for a large number of reasons and arguing about it will not help

and that's the extent of what I care to add, good article

(Bucks County)

Don't walk in sniffling with your eyes all red and puffy and the front of your shirt wet and try to buy a gun. They won't sell it to you. Ask me how i know.

-

-

-

-

- KIDDING!!!

(Luzerne County)

We had a thread that touched on this subject (not this particular article) not too long ago, be prepared to get a very wide variety of opinions on exactly what constitutes safe and unsafe handling and proper gun store etiquette.

I think when the author is referring to being witness to unsafe practices, he is assuming that the shop itself is participating in the unsafe practices. I'm right there with you, if I see some other customer doing something stupid I am going to speak up. But if I see the shop itself as an unsafe environment, I am not even going to waste my time I will just leave and take my business elsewhere.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    2) asking to see only the cheapest guns on display is a great way to make everyone on the other side of the counter uncomfortable
    Hi Ironsight, bit confused about this one. What if you are on a strict budget and you can only afford something on the low end. Believe me, I have bought some low end guns; some were actually decent. Only thing I can think of on what you meant was "Saturday Night Specials"

Thanks for replying!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    I think when the author is referring to being witness to unsafe practices, he is assuming that the shop itself is participating in the unsafe practices.
    I think your right csmith, thats probably what he meant. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman View Post
    Hi Ironsight, bit confused about this one. What if you are on a strict budget and you can only afford something on the low end. Believe me, I have bought some low end guns; some were actually decent. Only thing I can think of on what you meant was "Saturday Night Specials"

Thanks for replying!
    Im sure that Ironsight means this:

A gun is an investment of sorts. You go in with an idea of what you want, then you match your budget to the selection offered. To most, a HiPoint is a Saturday night Special, to others it is the weapon they can afford. Alot of people dont go into this saying "I want cheap", because alot of times, you get what you pay for. They want the most "bang" for their buck$.

Now, going in with the stated intention of wanting to buy the cheapest gun available throws some red flags. Someone looking to use a firearm for an illegal action, probably wants a throw away weapon or a weapon for a one time use.
    Hold the Line...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman View Post

Thanks for replying!
    Ah, I should clarify.

A lot of it is about how you ask to see the firearms. There is a huge difference between saying, "I'm trying to stick within a budget of $xxx" and saying "what are the cheap(est) guns you have".

There are some excellent shooting cheap guns, and most of what I have owned was bought with a very strict budget. The uncomfortable feeling comes when someone only quickly browses and immediately wants to check out only one, or only a couple, cheap firearm(s) and isn't at all interested in asking why it's priced low or how it compares to others within the price range.

Asking legitimate questions, taking your time to handle a couple of guns, and not appearing in a rush really helps to keep the atmosphere comfortable. Browsing the case for a very short time, quickly handling a cheap gun or not handling it at all, and then quickly expressing a desire to purchase is going to raise some red flags. Gun salesman aren't expecting you to have an unlimited budget and know that both the sticker price and the overall value of a gun matters quite a bit. It's when the salesman gets the feeling that price is the only concern that things get uncomfortable, at least in my opinion.

I hope that helps explain it a bit more. It's difficult to give a comprehensive explanation for what can trigger a bad feeling about a sale just because people and situations vary so much from day to day. There are a lot of factors involved.

(Berks County)

Want to make someone uncomfortable? Here are some good ways:

Went to Army Navy in Whitehall and the clerk pointed the firearm at me when I asked to look at it.

Went back to Army Navy in Whitehall and the clerk was looking down the barrel of a firearm.

Now taking bets on what would happen if I went back a third time. lol

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by iceman5054 View Post
    Want to make someone uncomfortable? Here are some good ways:

Went to Army Navy in Whitehall and the clerk pointed the firearm at me when I asked to look at it.

Went back to Army Navy in Whitehall and the clerk was looking down the barrel of a firearm.

Now taking bets on what would happen if I went back a third time. lol
    Is it wrong to look down the barrel? When I look at a surplus rifle, the first thing I do is pull the bolt and look through the bore with a bore light.

Doesn't matter if the stock is perfect and whatever else if the bore is trashed/pitted/corroded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast