Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Has Gas Drilling Activity affected Rifle & Archery Hunting in Tioga County - DMAP 45

Been hunting DMAP 45 for the last 5 years (archery and rifle) in the Sand Run area and near the power lines between Arnot Road and Landrus Road. 2011 season was not good. Lots of sign in the area I was hunting but no deer. With all the natural gas drilling and truck activity, I am wondering if the deer have gone totally nocturnal.

Anybody else hunting this area.....anybody willing to organize drives

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Has Gas Drilling Activity affected Rifle & Archery Hunting in Tioga County - DMAP

I have a family deer camp off of Baldwin run road. We haven't had a harvest since the onset of drilling and clear cutting. I know this is an old thread but I am interested to hear if you still hunt the area and if your luck ever improved.

Default Re: Has Gas Drilling Activity affected Rifle & Archery Hunting in Tioga County - DMAP

deer can acclimate to almost anything given that they have food, water and a nice bit of vegetation to conceal in while they sleep. I'm about 3 blocks from chester park right now. We get deer walking right up the street from time to time
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Wayne County)

Here in Sterling they're putting in new power lines, cutting 150 foot wide strip thru the woods. I've already seen deer feeding in the the cuts. I guess when the brush grows back, it will a nice place for animals.

(Tioga County)

In my opinion in Tioga County we have deer coming out of our ears right now. I was just hearing yesterday an insurance guy talking about the endless amount of claims being processed from deer strikes on the road.

On my property alone I've got 3 bucks, 3 does that live on the property and a few others that pass through. They have cover, open areas and tons of food and water, so I will always have deer.

I shot a deer while watching a dozer drag a log truck out of a hole.
    Most human activity that is recurrent and "normal" IMO doesn't affect deer activity.
    Look at all the deer in heavily developed areas. They walk past people as if they're trees.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Dauphin County)

Where are u located in tioga? I'm specifically taking about Tioga state forest. I still see alot of deer on the private lower farm land but little to nothing in the public state forest lands

(Montgomery County)

We have a camp on Tocarz Rd in Bloss Tsp. I will agree that the gas drilling, logging, and too many doe tags have messed things up. In the past 3 years our camp hasn't harvested a deer. We usually hunt near the sand run creek and hike in on the red blaze trail next to it. I'd be interested in getting a drive together in the afternoon of opening day and on Tuesday this year
    Justin

they know how to read posted signs and when hunting seasons start, public lands have a lot of pressure, they just strolll right out of the areas and onto posted land.
    A little anecdote,
    I worked with a guy who had a huge buck feeding from his apple tree, He walked right by it when mowing his grass for weeks, watched it grow through the velvet. When he went to try and take it with his bow, first day of archery, the buck was nowhere to be found. the next day He put a bow holder on his walk behind lawnmower and racked his bow in it, and sure enough, there was the buck laying under the apple tree, munching away. he basically mowed right up to it and whacked it from about 20yds.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Montgomery County)

I originally posted the question. In the last several years we have done better. During archery it has more been a function of better scouting and stand placement. During rifle it is more a function of how many hunters are in the woods moving the deer and patience; staying the stand all day.

I also agree that there are more deer as evidenced driving to and from Arnot Area of Tioga State forest. On Arnot and Antrum roads: on the other local roads deer are plentiful before daybreak and at dusk.

Looking forward to this coming season. Does any use trail cameras with wireless network for remote picture viewing? How's it working out? Who's the provider?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast