Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Which .22 pistol to buy? (Eventually suppress)

I'm in the market for a new gun and I think I'm going to get another .22 pistol. The reason I want a .22 pistol is because I want something that is cheap to shoot and I want to suppress it one day. It seems like you need to jump through hoops to get a suppressor in Allegheny County so I probably won't be doing that for a while. In the meantime I want to buy the gun I am going to be using.

I was thinking about getting a 22/45 or something like the Ruger SR22. I know the SR22 doesn't have threaded barrels yet but they will probably will have them soon. Plus if I really wanted to I could by an aftermarket one for it.

What .22 pistol should I get to suppress? (All other suggestions and opinions are welcome)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Which .22 pistol to buy? (Eventually suppress)

Browning Buckmark, hands down.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Browning Buckmark, hands down.

Did you have to buy an aftermarket barrel?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryD1130 View Post
    Did you have to buy an aftermarket barrel?
    No, I had it threaded by a member here, CDI.

I could have gotten a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel, but they were expensive, and I really liked the factory slab-sided barrel.

(Allegheny County)

At first I was thinking about getting the 22/45TB with rails. Now I'm kind of interested with the 22/45LITE. Does anybody have experience with either or these guns?

(Westmoreland County)

I've sold a ton of silencers to Allegheny County residents. The Sheriff will sign no problems! Your local CLEO will likely sign as well. It's almost never an issue unless you have a criminal history.

Go for it! .22 cans are a ton of fun!

Those new Rugers are nice.

Other popular options are the Browning Buckmark, Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, and the new ATI/GSG/Sig/Rock Island 1911 .22's. I wouldn't discount rifles either. The HK, Sig and AR type .22's are super fun, and .22 bolt rifles are scary quiet with a can.

The pistols that are actually reliable are the Buckmark and the Rugers.

I use a Sig Mosquito to demo cans the most, and it's performance with cheap .22 is less than stellar. It works great with MiniMags, but it just won't eat all of the cheap stuff.

The P22 and Mosquito however generally work good enough that it's a non-issue. It's not like it's going to be a self defense gun you need to trust your life to.

I'd say you can't really go wrong with whichever gun you want. If you need help, let me know.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Montgomery County)

As others said, the Browning Buckmark, the Ruger MKII (not the III, look for used MKII) and my fave, the CZ75 Kadet in 22

some of the others mentioned, Sig Mosquito, Walther P22(I've gone thru two)... absolute junk, and can be super frustrating to get them working reliably with good ammo.... aside the fact that they have aluminum and or zinc slides, and are not made for longevity.

the two pistols I settled on to use my Bowers Stainless steel CAC-22 were the Ruger MKII Stainless, and the CZ Kadet

MKII Stainless

the Kadet

rifles vary, I have a Ruger 10/22 threaded, a 22lr AR15 setup, but my fave is the Ruger M77/22 Stainless all weather... all ya hear is the firing pin go >boing< the the bullet go sssssssssssssssss down range!

theres a lot more to know about suppressed guns, ammo, actions, best guns... keep on asking!
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Columbia County)

I have no experience on this matter so please bear with me lol. I'm buying my mom a Ruger 22/45 Lite and I'm wondering if I can use one suppressor for both it and an AR? I don't have the AR yet but I was just curious if it's possible.

thanks

Buckmark is easier to take apart for cleaning vs Rugers. That being said, I have the latest 22/45 with top/bottom picatinny rails.

Why just stop at a suppressor? Why not get NV and IR laser and really push the limits of a 22 suppressor?

(Luzerne County)

If I were to buy a pistol for use with a suppressor, it'd be a single shot with a sealed breech....like a T/C Contender.
    Quiet like that bolt gun, so I am told.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast