Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Accu Wedge Buffer For AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Could play between the upper and lower cause the hammer to not drop consistently timewise?
    The locktime is dependent on the hammer spring so I don't believe the slop between a lower/upper receiver will effect this. A Geissele Hi-Speed trigger has a locktime of 4.4 ms - that's pretty darn fast. I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable will chime in.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Could play between the upper and lower cause the hammer to not drop consistently timewise?

Also, could it also cause a problem with sight picture since the shooter would have to realign his weld depending on how much play there is?
    No and no. There is a certain amount of play designed into the gun. For how I was taught, and this was just recently so it could be wrong, the hold on the gun will work out some of the slight movement anyway. It is not like you are standing there with the gun floating in space as you are trying to shoot, you are on a rest or slung in and wrenching down. It isn't moving unless you let it.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lawrence County)

I find it funny that a bunch of people are arguing about a little chunk of rubber. TonyF has spoken! I'll believe him any day of the week...

Now, a 5.56 is traveling 3000+fps in the barrel. The round is out of the barrel before you even hear the rapport. If you squeeze the trigger while the sights are on target, that's where the bullet is going, slop or no slop. The fact of the matter is, that the barrels are too short with a bullet going too fast, for anything else to matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Now for the flex, the bullet is, 99% of the time, on it's way downrange before the rifle recoils. So things moving around between trigger pull and the bullet going downrange is a fraction of a fraction of a second.

On a side note, biged, stop calling people kid just because they're younger than you unless you want to be referred to as geezer. I'm 28, and i'm far from a kid. I'm a social worker in a really overwhelmed mental health system, and am wise beyond my age. Social workers like me make it impossible for cranky old men like you to own, possess, transport, buy, or sell firearms and ammunition. If you can't be respectful than you have no reason to be here. Over the years I've seen people like you come and go here.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    I find it funny that a bunch of people are arguing about a little chunk of rubber. TonyF has spoken! I'll believe him any day of the week...

Now, a 5.56 is traveling 3000+fps in the barrel. The round is out of the barrel before you even hear the rapport. If you squeeze the trigger while the sights are on target, that's where the bullet is going, slop or no slop. The fact of the matter is, that the barrels are too short with a bullet going too fast, for anything else to matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Now for the flex, the bullet is, 99% of the time, on it's way downrange before the rifle recoils. So things moving around between trigger pull and the bullet going downrange is a fraction of a fraction of a second.

On a side note, biged, stop calling people kid just because they're younger than you unless you want to be referred to as geezer. I'm 28, and i'm far from a kid. I'm a social worker in a really overwhelmed mental health system, and am wise beyond my age. Social workers like me make it impossible for cranky old men like you to own, possess, transport, buy, or sell firearms and ammunition. If you can't be respectful than you have no reason to be here. Over the years I've seen people like you come and go here.

-Chaz
    Hey easy on handing out the Geezer title as myself and others already own it.

Thank You for some well thought responses to the subject, I agree 100%.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Hey easy on handing out the Geezer title as myself and others already own it.

Thank You for some well thought responses to the subject, I agree 100%.
    There is a big difference between a geezer and an older gentleman. When you cease to be a gentleman, you become a geezer... lol

-Chaz

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    OOOHHH so what you are saying is that like another much misused word it is a descriptive word used to describe an attitude not age.
    Yes sir!

-Chaz

Talking Re: Accu Wedge Buffer For AR-15

There is a big difference between a geezer and an older gentleman. When you cease to be a gentleman, you become a geezer... lol

-Chaz
    OOOHHH so what you are saying is that like another much misused word it is a descriptive word used to describe an attitude not age.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Allegheny County)

My 2 cents:

I run the wedge in only one match AR along with a "O" ring around the uppers front pivot pin protrusion. It's a bear to get the rear pin in, but it's tight as a drum. It's the only AR I own that has any "play" between the upper and lower (Mega Machine Lower -White Oak Upper).

I don't do it for measured accuracy reasons, I do it for peace of mind, which can translate into accuracy. The detectable movement just bothered me when handling the rifle.

BTW, the wedge never moved out of place over 5 years and 6K + rounds.

I've tried the adjustable rear pivot pin. It has a tendency to turn when you try to tighten the screw down. It also has a tendency to walk out to the left or right after awhile.
    Last edited by Hawk; August 15th, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

-Chaz

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    No and no. There is a certain amount of play designed into the gun. For how I was taught, and this was just recently so it could be wrong, the hold on the gun will work out some of the slight movement anyway. It is not like you are standing there with the gun floating in space as you are trying to shoot, you are on a rest or slung in and wrenching down. It isn't moving unless you let it.
    What I was getting at is that with enough play, is it possible to get a constant & repeatable shooting position?

If not, wouldn't that affect downrange accuracy?

If I'm not aligned with the sights the same way from shot to shot because the upper is shifting around on the lower, wouldn't that cause a problem?

If not, why does anyone bother with cheek rests or having custom stocks made for hunting and target rifles.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast