Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 0.00 BAC?

Default Re: 0.00 BAC?

Quote Originally Posted by dm_n_stuff View Post
    Just let me be devil's advocate for a moment.

Why would you endanger those around you by carrying a handgun and then having anything that might impair your judgment or affect your aim in your system?

A gun is not a car, if you've had one two many, you call a cab, get a ride home, do whatever. If you're half way to drunk, and you're concealed carrying, are you gonna hand the gun over to a designated carrier? Uh, no.

Why risk the lives of anyone around you by being impaired and carrying? I just don't get that, and while .04 might not be legally intoxicated, I guarantee you you've got slower reflexes, your aim is affected, and you may not be able to properly assess risk. Legal? I really don't know. Prudent? Not in my book.

And before anyone tells me to climb off my soapbox, I do carry, and I don't drink, so the issue would never come up for me.
    You don't have to get it. As long as you don't advocate for resticting one's freedom, life is good. You carry how you feel you should and those of use who drink while carrying will continue to do so. Win, Win for everyone!

CL

Here we go.

Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by dm_n_stuff View Post
    And before anyone tells me to climb off my soapbox
    You were on a soapbox? To me it looked like you were sitting down. You should consider growing a bit.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Philadelphia County)

We don't need do redo the drinking and carrying flame war. The question was about what's legal with a UT license. Here's what UT say about it:

May I carry my loaded and concealed firearm into a bar or other drinking establishment?

There is nothing in state statute that prohibits permit holders from being in a bar with a concealed firearm. However, it is illegal to be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm. The level of intoxication that is considered illegal is the same standard as when driving a car. (.08 B.A.C.)
    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html

However there is no corresponding law in PA.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Remember that he was teaching a UTAH course, and it is illegal to carry while intoxicated (same standard as driving) there.
    Also remember that in Utah you practically have to go to Wyoming to get drunk
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Here we go.

It won't get really good until we add in the debates about caliber, OC vs. CC, and turning over your ID to police upon request. (With side arguments about "license" vs. "permit" as well as the legality of transporting firearms out of PRNJ with the intent of carrying in PA.)
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tvtog View Post
    Looking to the (official/unofficial) lawyers here. I took a Utah certification class a couple weeks ago. Something was mentioned and reinforced but I need to know if this is a Pennsylvania law as well.

Now...to me, it's common sense that if one is intoxicated, carrying a handgun would not be considered solid judgment.

That said...when I go out to dinner I will have one drink and on the occasion of a lengthy event I might have two. My standard is NOT .08 but probably closer to .02.

The Utah class instructor said that, when carrying, 0.00 is what is legally acceptable.

If that is true, I need to assess risk as to whether I want to have a drink and not carry. Or not have a drink and carry. Obviously the whole point of carrying is that we do not know when a threat might present itself.

I feel as confident of my abilities after one drink as with none. After three? well...a false confidence appears at that point methinks.

But the basic question remains.

If a LEO sees me take a drink while a Glock is on my hip....am I in the deep stuff?
    Did you take a legal heat class? Their class is full of errors and mistruths that they present as fact. In the class I took, the reciprocity map they showed was more than a year old. The told us that if you're a PA resident you'd have to have a PA LTCF to carry in PA. Those were two of the big ones I remember without going back to the notes I took in the class.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    ... and turning over your ID to police upon request.
    What do you mean "upon request"? I always handed them my wallet, pistol (still in holster), birth certificate and proof of immunization as they approach. Never had a problem that way.

Jan
    The above is a dramatization that never really happened, since I never got pulled over. Do not attempt!
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    What do you mean "upon request"? I always handed them my wallet, pistol (still in holster), birth certificate and proof of immunization as they approach. Never had a problem that way.

Jan
    The above is a dramatization that never really happened, since I never got pulled over. Do not attempt!
    I guess the police in your area haven't been following current policy, they're now required to get a retinal scan as well as a Colonic map.

Obviously this is a joke, for now
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Mercer County)

Who was your instructor?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast