Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Shed Hunting

(Adams County)

Default Shed Hunting

It's that time! This past week I've seen several bucks that have dropped one or both sides. I didn't get my shed box up quick enough. The 12pt and 10pt I've been seeing have both already dropped each side.....bummer...really wanted to measure them. The little 6pts and scrubby guys still have both sides.

Anyway, since the weather was decent today I did my first shed hunt. Didn't find anything...but I was too busy doing something else which was a bigger discovery than any shed...my 3 year old son begged to go with me!..the little trooper went everywhere!..and asked "what's this?"...or shouted "Daddy look at that!"...he also had his "Little Buck" Daisy BB rifle with him....a great time to begin safety training in a "real" hunting scenario.

He came home very excited and could not wait to empty his pocket full of rocks and acorns to show mommy. He gave a acorn to her, but said the rest were for the "big bucks".

I came home excited as well. No sheds found....my pockets were not full of rocks and acorns...but my head is full of memories of this morning that will last longer than an acorn. I'll admit, I kind of choked up at times watching him, and listening to him tell my wife about his adventure in the woods with so much excitement in his voice....well...I kind of teared up a bit.

Hopefully, the woods will be his "PlayStation/Nintendo/X-box/etc........"
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Shed Hunting

Oh. when I first read this I thought you meant hunting out of your tool shed.

My buddy does that and I wanted to tell you...

1.Yes it works

2.It is illegal on several levels.

But in response to you OP, I don't usually go hunting for sheds, but If I find them while out it's cool.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    It's that time! This past week I've seen several bucks that have dropped one or both sides. I didn't get my shed box up quick enough. The 12pt and 10pt I've been seeing have both already dropped each side.....bummer...really wanted to measure them. The little 6pts and scrubby guys still have both sides.

Anyway, since the weather was decent today I did my first shed hunt. Didn't find anything...but I was too busy doing something else which was a bigger discovery than any shed...my 3 year old son begged to go with me!..the little trooper went everywhere!..and asked "what's this?"...or shouted "Daddy look at that!"...he also had his "Little Buck" Daisy BB rifle with him....a great time to begin safety training in a "real" hunting scenario.

He came home very excited and could not wait to empty his pocket full of rocks and acorns to show mommy. He gave a acorn to her, but said the rest were for the "big bucks".

I came home excited as well. No sheds found....my pockets were not full of rocks and acorns...but my head is full of memories of this morning that will last longer than an acorn. I'll admit, I kind of choked up at times watching him, and listening to him tell my wife about his adventure in the woods with so much excitement in his voice....well...I kind of teared up a bit.

Hopefully, the woods will be his "PlayStation/Nintendo/X-box/etc........"
    The only thing better than that is watching them grow outdoors as the learn more and become more educated. My son is now 7 every year it is something new!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Adams County)

How sporting of your buddy....he would not be a buddy of mine for long, that's for sure.

Basically, for me it's another reason to get in the woods. It's a great way of scouting, and a collection of anlters looks neat across the fireplace hearth with mounts up top.

(York County)

Wow. What a great way to shpow a future sportsman the ropes. You gonna get him a youth model something or other, . I had the opportunity to take a coworker's kid out during last years deer seasona nd he loved it. Reminded me of how excited I used to get before I went out with the ol man.
    3%

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Wow. What a great way to shpow a future sportsman the ropes. You gonna get him a youth model something or other, . I had the opportunity to take a coworker's kid out during last years deer seasona nd he loved it. Reminded me of how excited I used to get before I went out with the ol man.
    He already has Chipmunk 22, and the hand me down Stevens 22. Not to mention a plethora of stuff he will grow into. Hopefully, about 2 more years for the Chipmunk.

Kids are great. My oldest daughter is simply deadly with a rifle, especially the AR's.