Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default 19 y/o handgun purchase w/Act235?

Hey everbody! I work in the Private Security field and I'm soon to become Pa Act235 certified (armed guard). Now I do know that I can carry to and from work even though I wont be 21 until next year. My question is are there special consideration for handgun purchases under the age of 21 because of occupation. For ex. in philly the min age for the pd is 19 so hypotheticly a leo at the age of 19 could buy handgun because of their line of work. If I can not purchase myself, my fiance is 21 and we live together would it be possible for her to buy it and I use it on the job? Thanks in advance for all your help.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 19 y/o handgun purchase w/Act235?

No, you cannot buy a handgun at 18. The PD will issue the person a handgun. You only solution is to have a parent buy the handgun and give it to you as a gift.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    No, you cannot buy a handgun at 18. The PD will issue the person a handgun. You only solution is to have a parent buy the handgun and give it to you as a gift.

I thought I remembered reading on here that a person under 21 could legally buy from a private individual, but the transfer had to be done at the sheriff's office. Couldn't his girlfriend, or anyone else for that matter, buy the gun and then sell it to him at the sheriff's office? I am in no way endorsing any illegal activities, I am just looking for clarification.

well there is ways to obtain a handgun before your 21 legally, threw gifting or the sheriff office transfer-- although most wont do it from what i hear.

But he can't buy one just because he has an act 235, same story if your between 18-21 and an officer, but they will issue you one in that case i doubt a security company can do that.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    well there is ways to obtain a handgun before your 21 legally, threw gifting or the sheriff office transfer-- although most wont do it from what i hear.

But he can't buy one just because he has an act 235, same story if your between 18-21 and an officer, but they will issue you one in that case i doubt a security company can do that.
    So I can go through the sherrifs office, I doubt that its going to happen in Phila. My next thought would be to just get my gf to register the handgun in her name and I would use it while at work, is that legal? side note Security companies can issue firearms to adults under 21 as long as they have been properly trained and act235 cert. because of this my main concern is not procuring a handgun for my day job because it can be provided, it is the after hours private work i will be doing that concerns me (clubs, parties etc.)

Wtf, guys?

Feds say 21 to buy from an FFL.
    PA say you just have to be 18 to own a handgun.
    Therefore, you may purchase a handgun from a private party, which must be transferred through an FFL or Sheriff's Office.

Remember that you can open carry at 18. For lending (and concealment, actually), see the following.

I'm trying to read about lending for this situation, and the waters are murky.

Read PA CS 18 6115, "Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited." (particularly this, 6115(b) "Exemptions" subsections
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is
    licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109
    (relating to licenses).
    (ii) The person who receives the firearm is
    exempt from licensing.
    6109 "Licenses" will make no mention for people who don't need a license, which is fine as it talks about procedure for acquisition. We look then at 6106 "Firearms not to be carried without a license.", specifically 6106(b)(6):
    (6) Agents, messengers and other employees
    of common carriers, banks, or business firms,
    whose duties require them to protect moneys,
    valuables and other property in the discharge of
    such duties.
    That says to me that if you're 6109(b)(6) exempt, you can be lent a firearm.

Some people (I suppose that could include the law) may jump in here and try to construe that buying a firearm for herself and then lending it to you for your job is a "straw lend". Just keep that in mind.

Also know that you may not be able to buy handgun ammo, being under 21, and that will have to be gifted to you. (Yes, quite a hearty laugh...)

(Beaver County)

Does your after hours work require you to be armed or is that a personal choice? I think that may be a big factor in whether or not you can legally carry a gun, at least concealed.

(Beaver County)

A FFL cannot sell to a person under 21. Those transfers must be done through the sheriff's office.

18 USC § 922(b)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver— (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    Last edited by bdevil73; March 2nd, 2008 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    A FFL cannot sell to a person under 21. Those transfers must be done through the sheriff's office.

18 USC § 922(b)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver— (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    A private handgun transfer is done through the FFL. It is not two separate sales.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    A private handgun transfer is done through the FFL. It is not two separate sales.
    No. The statute clearly says "sell or deliver".

IOW: FFL's can not "sell or deliver" handguns to anyone under 21.

Wanna bet that the court will rule that "transfer" is = to "deliver"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast