Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default KelTec major malfunction.

I was at Pistol People with my father who was shooting two P3AT's, his and his wife's. Both suffered a life threatening malfunction. They fired a round, and the caseing stayed inside the barrel, and completely locked up the gun. The guns could not be cleared until he got home that night and used tools to get them open. All while my Ruger LCP kept chugging through the ammo. The two featured the same malfunction with the same ammo, so it's totally possible this was a result of the ammo and not the gun, but I still wouldn't trust the products coming from KelTec. Don't want to start a flame war, but I do think it's an important factor for those who own or who are looking to purchase the P3AT...

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: KelTec major malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by FCRPhila View Post
    I was at Pistol People with my father who was shooting two P3AT's, his and his wife's. Both suffered a life threatening malfunction. They fired a round, and the caseing stayed inside the barrel, and completely locked up the gun. The guns could not be cleared until he got home that night and used tools to get them open. All while my Ruger LCP kept chugging through the ammo. The two featured the same malfunction with the same ammo, so it's totally possible this was a result of the ammo and not the gun, but I still wouldn't trust the products coming from KelTec. Don't want to start a flame war, but I do think it's an important factor for those who own or who are looking to purchase the P3AT...
    And that's why Kel-Tec is about the only gun I will not buy! I know many people swear by them, but too many that have problems like this. My lcp is pocket gun of choice as well!

(Chester County)

I sent my LCP back to Ruger twice before getting a full replacement (and selling it). My PF9 has never failed. This is anecdotal evidence and not statistically significant. I would not judge either of these companies by these two experiences.

(Delaware County)

Limp Wristing? Dirty? Steel-cased Ammo? Too much here to make an informed decision.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FCRPhila View Post
    it's totally possible this was a result of the ammo and not the gun, but I still wouldn't trust the products coming from KelTec.

Last edited by crffl; August 10th, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by crffl View Post

Elitism, or excusing themselves for paying more for a similar gun. I would like to know what ammo was used in it. If you can lock up a high dollar AR with steel cased ammo, you wouldnt call Colt junk... you would blame the ammo.

Some people just have a hard on for bashing Keltec because they are ugly and cheap. (Except for that RFB... nothing ugly or cheap about it)

(Lycoming County)

Between me and the group of guys I shoot with I think we own 10 keltec pistols and none of us have problems with them.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    I sent my LCP back to Ruger twice before getting a full replacement (and selling it). My PF9 has never failed. This is anecdotal evidence and not statistically significant. I would not judge either of these companies by these two experiences.
    I agree 110% - that's why I won't buy a Kel-Tec, far too many negative stories. I realize a ton of them are out there, and that's why you hear more, but just a personal thing. As with anything else though, it's a personal choice. Heck, I love my Llama's, but many wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole !

(Allegheny County)

It's an ammo issue not a gun issue. I don't own a kel-tec but some people I know do and they have had no issues like this.

(Bucks County)

I have 3-P-11's, 3-P32's and an S2K. I had to send the S2K back, but the other ones go bang every time i pull the trigger. I always have a P11 and a P 32 around me. It seems people like to bash them, but there are quite a few gun manufacturers that have copied them. I love my Keltecs! My P11 just disappears under an untucked T shirt in a fobus holster!

As far as the OP's issue. It is possible the extractor screw may be loose! Ammo and limp wristing are also an issue. People swear they arent limpwristing, but they may be doing it!
    Last edited by theduke; August 10th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast