Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Evil Eyes & "That's Cool!"

I was ordering lunch at Sheetz the other day, punching in my order at the computer. I notice a mother and her son (12-ish?) over at the slurpee machine and she sees me OCing then looks up and gives me a dirty look... I just chuckled inside and went about my business. A few minutes later while I was waiting for my food, they start walking in my direction, and she must've said something to her son about my gun because he looked right at it then says back to her, "That's cool!" haha....he then got the same dirty look....

(Washington County)

Default Re: Evil Eyes & "That's Cool!"

Lol. Maybe the son can inform the mother. Good story.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    Lol. Maybe the son can inform the mother. Good story.
    HAHA YES!!! "You see Mom, what he is doing is totally legal in the state of PA. NO, he doesn't need a "permit" to open carry!!!"
    "Freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. Individual freedom demands individual responsibility."

(York County)

This is exactly why I never open carry. It's just not worth the hassle.

Wow... you know, saying that actually does leave a foul taste in my mouth.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Don't you know "That's Cool" is the kids new way of saying "I'm scared, run for the hill's!"
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun

Sometimes kids know better regarding some things, and it takes indoctrination and crappy teaching to get them to become 'ignorant'.

When I was young, I was always interested in guns. I had toy cap guns, much to my parents' chagrin.

I knew that a firearm was an effective way of warding off evil and protecting yourself from bad guys, even at that young age.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Sometimes kids know better regarding some things, and it takes indoctrination and crappy teaching to get them to become 'ignorant'.
    You know, I have always thought there was something to that. Ever notice how little children seem to 'know' which guy in the room is the safe one to be around and which one is 'scary'? I don't know if it is kids have an inate ability to 'read' people, or perhaps it is a 'pheromone' type thing. Either way, kids do seem to be able to decide almost instantly who they like and don't like in the adults around them. I think it's a 'defense mechanism' built in by God Himself.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    You know, I have always thought there was something to that. Ever notice how little children seem to 'know' which guy in the room is the safe one to be around and which one is 'scary'? I don't know if it is kids have an inate ability to 'read' people, or perhaps it is a 'pheromone' type thing. Either way, kids do seem to be able to decide almost instantly who they like and don't like in the adults around them. I think it's a 'defense mechanism' built in by God Himself.
    Probably. From more of a psychology perspective, we do have intuition. Unfortunately, most people "learn" to "out-think" their intuition. Normally we don't see the negative effects of this. However, many times after a violent attack the indicators were there, and the person may have had "a feeling" that something was wrong, but they out-thought their intuition.

Children don't normally have a lot of experiences to lead them to "out think" their intuition. They also don't have the social conditioning to not always say what is on their mind. The result, I believe, are statements like this child made that are so simplistically true we are amazed by them.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    This is exactly why I never open carry. It's just not worth the hassle.
    I've OCed an numerous Sheetzes (Sheetzi?) in Blair, Cambria and Indiana counties, and have never had anyone comment, pro or con.

Western Pennsylvania vs. Eastern Pennsylvania general outlook on life? I have no idea.[/quote]
    Last edited by Statkowski; August 11th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.

(Chester County)

That's just plain funny!
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911