Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default colt 6721 H Bar mag well problem

I have a used colt tactical carbine since I bought it always have difficulty seating a loaded mag.I pretty much have to push the mag until it clicks after I first put the mag in
    I have to push up to make sure it clicks and is seated unlike my 6920 where I can seat ghe mag with one push. Keep in mind jts happens with both USGI and magpul all loaded with 28 rds and a closed bolt I even replaced the magazine catch and still no luck but once its loaded i have no malfunctions at least and the mag stays put
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Phillygunguy; August 10th, 2012 at 08:41 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: colt 6721 H Bar mag well problem

Try swapping the lowers out to another AR and see if the problem still persists with it. If the gun with the same lower malfunctions, it may be the mag catch. If the gun with the same upper malfunctions, it might be the bolt carrier not being in spec and is pushing down on the feed lips of the mag. Make sure the underside of your bolt carrier is clean and free of excess carbon etc.

It also may be your mags, but due to your explanation, it's unlikely. Check and make sure the feed lips aren't bent upwards.

Feel free to let me know what happens when you try this out. I'll help any way I can.

(Montgomery County)

you can try swapping the mag catch, but frankly, it sound like you're just being overly gentle.

pull mag from pouch, slap mag on leg to seat rounds to rear of mag, SLAM mag in well.

it should seat fine every time... and you wont damage the mag, or the gun.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Chester County)

thanks guys the original BCG is a colt but its a semi auto not the full auto BCG I think its called a half moon? I replaced with a new BCG full auto (because of the heavier weight and less chance of short stroking) form BCM which got me thinking it could be made during the AWB
    it was Owned by the Hamilton twp Police dept ( saw a label stuck to the stock )
    Is it possible that Colt made some carbines during the AWB designed for just 10 round magazine? which makes the 30 rd hard to seat?
    I did swap out the magazine catch but I will try swapping lowers with my 6920
    too As far as being too gentle I thought that too But why would I have to apply more force with it than I would with my 6920?

(Lancaster County)

different part lots(i.e. mag catch, lower reciever) different tolerance levels. could be one or the other may have been machined +-.0001 than the other and that slight difference is causing you to have to slap rather than push. i personally give all mags on all guns a good whack on the way in. ymmv.

(Beaver County)

It's perfectly normal to need to push a 30 round magazine (even loaded to 28 rounds) firmly up in the magwell against a closed bolt carrier to properly seat it.

"Push/pull" is something you'll hear quite frequently when talking about seating AR magazines when the bolt carrier is forward... the "pull" is a tug after the magazine clicks in to ensure it's seated.