Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any LEO's on the board willing to comment on the Jonathan Schmidt Shooting?

Seems like a lot of errors occurred during this stop. Hats off to law enforcement who can watch stuff like this and keep their cool in subsequent stops.

TRUMANN, Ark. -- An Arkansas police officer who was fatally shot during a traffic stop last year can be heard pleading for his life with his attacker in dashboard video released Tuesday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1755305.html

Warning Graphic!

Default Re: Any LEO's on the board willing to comment on the Jonathan Schmidt Shooting?

This is the unedited version. I know this guy saw something going on in the back of the car...not sure why he didn't draw his weapon, perhaps too comfortable with soo many officers on the scene?

http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=22740c5b2a9c

Default Re: Any LEO's on the board willing to comment on the Jonathan Schmidt Shooting?

A note to moderators and concerned members: I elected to post this thread in this particular sub-forum because of the "training" and "tactical" aspects of the video. Feel free to move it.

(Perry County)

Unfortunately, if someone wants to kill you, they're likely going to be able to accomplish their goal. You can't felony stop everybody so going about the job will often put you in harms way.

I had many stops with multiple people in the car. You get one out and get them secured, then the next and so on. That's what he was doing here and may have been too complacent by throwing the door open without taking a better look at the bad guy. As small as the gun was, it would have been easily hidden.

My biggest concern is the lack of return fire by the Sgt. He even stated he was going to draw his weapon, the bad guy pointed his gun at him, so he ran.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Unfortunately, if someone wants to kill you, they're likely going to be able to accomplish their goal. You can't felony stop everybody so going about the job will often put you in harms way.

I had many stops with multiple people in the car. You get one out and get them secured, then the next and so on. That's what he was doing here and may have been too complacent by throwing the door open without taking a better look at the bad guy. As small as the gun was, it would have been easily hidden.

My biggest concern is the lack of return fire by the Sgt. He even stated he was going to draw his weapon, the bad guy pointed his gun at him, so he ran.
    Yes, this was a traffic stop...is it customary to cuff passengers during a traffic stop?

I concur that the sergeant not drawing his weapon was bizarre, if I was a cop and you shot one of my officers you would be dead on the spot, camera or no camera. That situation warranted no warnings...just return fire.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    Yes, this was a traffic stop...is it customary to cuff passengers during a traffic stop?

I concur that the sergeant not drawing his weapon was bizarre, if I was a cop and you shot one of my officers you would be dead on the spot, camera or no camera. That situation warranted no warnings...just return fire.
    It started as a traffic stop. It progressed when the driver had a warrant. It's not uncommon for those types of stops to end up with several people in cuffs. Undesirables tend to hang together.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Delaware County)

I also cannot understand why the other officer didn't draw his weapon and end the threat right there.

At least I can say this is one situation where I truly am glad that the death penalty was handed out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    I also cannot understand why the other officer didn't draw his weapon and end the threat right there..
    You never know how you will react until it happens. Years ago I was attacked by a guy with a hatchet. The way it went down I was out of the fight right away. My partner never even drew his gun. His mind totally shut down and he just stood there with his mouth open.

"Tactically" this whole incident was a mess from the beginning.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    I also cannot understand why the other officer didn't draw his weapon and end the threat right there.

At least I can say this is one situation where I truly am glad that the death penalty was handed out.
    It should have been handed out right there at the scene.

(Beaver County)

That video right there is exactly why police deserve courtesy and as much leeway for their safety during a stop that can be provided without surrendering your rights. That is a shit job and doing it takes a certain set of skills not everyone has. So even though I'm not consenting to any searches, and I'm not volunteering any info, I keep my hands in full view and keep my movements slow and organized.

Shame the second officer didn't light that dirtbag up. Piece of shit coward asshole. Death penalty is too good for him.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast