Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Question about Reading

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    Reading could be such a beautifl city too. They have some great architecture.
    It's the same thing that happened with many other small/medium sized cities over the course of the last few decades:

- The people that cared (especially the homeowners) got the crap taxed out of them; it seems cities always have higher taxes
    - Social programs caused lots of people that didn't care about anything other than a handout to move in
    - The people that cared got tired of paying aforementioned taxes to live with lots of people that didn't, so they moved out
    - A slow and steady erosion of jobs accelerated the process

Result: entire cities of people that don't care about the beautiful houses, museums, churches, etc. where they live, built by those before them who had a sense of community. Nor do they care about doing their part to maintain them. To the current residents, those structures are just places to sleep and hang out.

Sad. This entire county is littered with apples that have rotten cores.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

+1 for checking that map. There are two Hancock Blvd's. One within city limits going from Lancaster Ave towards to projects and past Reading Body. This is where OP will be. The second runs north/south, parallel and two blocks west of New Holland Rd(625). It's northern end is in Kenhorst Boriugh and intersects at McArthur/Columbia. The southern most two blocks become the border between Kenhorst/Cumru.

The 422 contruction is night work (8p-6a) usually down to one lane, or sporadic lane closures. The 176 work is between 422 & 724, lane closures 24/7, narrowed ramps etc. That should take 16 months. The 724 complete closure is the portion along the cliff and river, just west of 176. That should take 3 months.

(Berks County)

Forgive typos. Tiny iPod. Fat fingers.

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Question about Reading

Congrats on the new job but please check the co. out as i heard awhile back the READING BODY WORKS may be in big financial trouble and layoffs were coming,,,,, also since ur in Reading area check out the new pistol range Sensibly Armed at 2807 Perkiomen ave Reading,pa. which I believe now rents & sells guns and is open on Sat & Sundays. good luck

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    Hancock Blvd is actually outside of the "city". Even though it's a Reading address. That area is closer to Shillington which is a pretty sleepy little town. No worries about the public housing projects there....just don't drive directly into them and you'll be fine.

The city itself is a shithole even during the day. I unfortunately have to travel into there almost every night (in the middle of the night no less) for work. Leave your wallet and watches and nice clothing in your hotel (or wherever you are staying)....and carry a big gun...with lots of capacity...lol.

A few months back, there was a guy that came ut of an alley next to the place at work...we were all standing outside talking before work...and the dude just started shooting at random. One of our truck drivers came rolling out of his truck and I thought he was hit, but he was merely trying to escape the gunfire. I tell you, almost EVERY single night we hear some asshole cranking rounds off. One guy decided to shoot out the 2nd floor plate glass window of our building with a .40..."because he thought it would be fun". Cops were around the corner and caught him.

Then you get the homeless people shitting in our shrubs, having sex in the stairway of a parking garage across the street for all to see....then there was the Friday morning homeless guy standing on Court St. with his junk hanging out....and the one whack job who jerks off almost every morning in the window of the Marvel Ranch restaurant (but they have great food BTW). Stay away from Maria's on Penn St unless you enjoy being stabbed, punched or robbed at random (same goes with the other bars on that block)...although I can highly reccomend the Peanut Bar and Judy's on Cherry.

If you're coming to the area take a drive up to the Pagoda, but only during daylight hours...

But yes, the city should be nuked and made into a parking lot....there are some super nice people for sure that live in there, but that is the exception...
    Thank you for posting EXACTLY what I think about Reading. lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234