Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Has anyone here OC'd in a movie theater since CO?

I'm going to see Bourne Legacy tomorrow night with my wife, at a Regal cinema, and I'm considering open carrying. I didn't find anything on their website prohibiting it:

http://www.regmovies.com/admittance-procedures.aspx

I rarely have problems when open carrying, but I've seen all the news articles of OC'ers being arrested for carrying in theaters lately. I wonder if I will have any problems around this area.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Has anyone here OC'd in a movie theater since CO?

I wouldn't recommend it. At this point, while you should be able to OC without problems, the way things should be and the way things are happen to be two different things.

If you get asked to leave for OCing, you're going to have to. Exercise your rights in whichever way you see fit, my friend - but ask yourself, is now the right time?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it. At this point, while you should be able to OC without problems, the way things should be and the way things are happen to be two different things.

If you get asked to leave for OCing, you're going to have to. Exercise your rights in whichever way you see fit, my friend - but ask yourself, is now the right time?
    Really? I mean, what you're saying makes sense, but I never thought I'd see you recommend against open carry. So if you were going to see a movie now, you would CC?

(York County)

The theaters near me, Regal and Frank, both prohibit weapons, so we don't go. We have a perfectly acceptable home theater, and there are plenty of other things to do around town.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Really? I mean, what you're saying makes sense, but I never thought I'd see you recommend against open carry. So if you were going to see a movie now, you would CC?
    Weigh the risks and benefits.

Making a political statement at a movie theater, which is privately owned and operated, and has the right to ask you to leave for any reason, is like pissing into the wind. There's a good chance you might merrily be able to do your thing and not suffer any negative reactions or outcomes. There is also an equally fair chance that you will either not be allowed to go watch your movie or you will have to go lock the gun in the car. Movie theaters and malls are very similar in this aspect in that we've all generally accepted that open carry is typically not welcome - and there isn't shit we can do about it. At this point, it doesn't have anything to do with us exercising our rights, it's about whether or not they are going to choose to exercise theirs.

I hate saying it - because I am one of the biggest OC proponents out there - but sometimes there are battles that should simply be avoided. There are usually three possible outcomes - fighting and winning, fighting and losing, and not having to fight at all. In the case of malls and movie theaters, there really is no option to fight and win - only to lose or not fight in the first place. It's a risk/benefit scenario.

Personally? If I go to the movies by myself, I OC, because if my time gets wasted, it's not a huge deal. However, I refuse to waste other people's time if I can avoid it, so if I am going to the movies with, say my significant other, I will actually CC instead, so as to no negatively impact the good time we would have together.

Does that make any sense?

Too long, didn't read? Open carry if you are willing to take the risk of being asked to leave - I'll never tell you not to. However, if you don't want it to become a problem, carry concealed - the movie theater will not lose the argument.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The theaters near me, Regal and Frank, both prohibit weapons, so we don't go. We have a perfectly acceptable home theater, and there are plenty of other things to do around town.
    That's weird because I didn't see anything on the regal website regarding firearms. Did you see signs on the door or something?

FWIW we rarely ever go to the movies. It's absurdly expensive and requires finding someone to watch our daughter overnight. But we haven't had a "date night" in probably a full year, and the movie looks pretty cool, so I thought "what the heck."

(York County)

That's weird because I didn't see anything on the regal website regarding firearms. Did you see signs on the door or something?

FWIW we rarely ever go to the movies. It's absurdly expensive and requires finding someone to watch our daughter overnight. But we haven't had a "date night" in probably a full year, and the movie looks pretty cool, so I thought "what the heck."

I have not seen the policies, and I have never seen a sign at either theater, but I haven't looked in a while.

Although I have OC'd without incident at both Regal and Frank, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, between PAFOA and OCDO I have learned of their policies...

example...

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/180...-theaters.html

I certainly could have been much more rigorous in my research, but, truth be told, we would rarely go even if they did allow arms. :shrug:
    I have to admit that the current price of admission has us judging most movies as "not worth it" and we wait for the DVD
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Weigh the risks and benefits.

Making a political statement at a movie theater, which is privately owned and operated, and has the right to ask you to leave for any reason, is like pissing into the wind. There's a good chance you might merrily be able to do your thing and not suffer any negative reactions or outcomes. There is also an equally fair chance that you will either not be allowed to go watch your movie or you will have to go lock the gun in the car. Movie theaters and malls are very similar in this aspect in that we've all generally accepted that open carry is typically not welcome - and there isn't shit we can do about it. At this point, it doesn't have anything to do with us exercising our rights, it's about whether or not they are going to choose to exercise theirs.

I hate saying it - because I am one of the biggest OC proponents out there - but sometimes there are battles that should simply be avoided. There are usually three possible outcomes - fighting and winning, fighting and losing, and not having to fight at all. In the case of malls and movie theaters, there really is no option to fight and win - only to lose or not fight in the first place. It's a risk/benefit scenario.

Personally? If I go to the movies by myself, I OC, because if my time gets wasted, it's not a huge deal. However, I refuse to waste other people's time if I can avoid it, so if I am going to the movies with, say my significant other, I will actually CC instead, so as to no negatively impact the good time we would have together.

Does that make any sense?

Too long, didn't read? Open carry if you are willing to take the risk of being asked to leave - I'll never tell you not to. However, if you don't want it to become a problem, carry concealed - the movie theater will not lose the argument.
    Roger that, makes sense. I think I'll CC this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I have not seen the policies, and I have never seen a sign at either theater, but I haven't looked in a while.

Although I have OC'd without incident at both Regal and Frank, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, between PAFOA and OCDO I have learned of their policies...

example...

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/180...-theaters.html

I certainly could have been much more rigorous in my research, but, truth be told, we would rarely go even if they did allow arms. :shrug:
    I have to admit that the current price of admission has us judging most movies as "not worth it" and we wait for the DVD
    Well since I did my due diligence and checked their website for their policy, I feel that I'm within my rights to CC unless there is a sign on the door. But if I OC I'm running the risk of being asked to leave, so this time I wont. It will probably be another year until next time anyway.

(Delaware County)

Roger that, makes sense. I think I'll CC this time.

Well since I did my due diligence and checked their website for their policy, I feel that I'm within my rights to CC unless there is a sign on the door. But if I OC I'm running the risk of being asked to leave, so this time I wont. It will probably be another year until next time anyway.
    Just so I'm clear - I am not saying you SHOULDN'T open carry - you're perfecty within your rights to do so if you want. Do what you feel most comfortable doing! Like I said, if it were me alone, I'd OC, but I'd also be prepared for Plan B, which involves going somewhere else, lol.

(Centre County)

It's the same as any other open carry discussion.. why? As opposed to concealing there are no benefits other than maybe dissuading a bad guy. Otherwise you're the first target and/or the one who gets hassled, and forced to leave. $.02.. Not downing you, just throwing my question out there.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast