Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SCCY??

(Crawford County)

Default SCCY??

I've been in the market for a new CC gun. Couple places I looked had the SCCY in stock. Anyone dealt with these or know a little about them? Most dealers I have talked to aren't really all that familiar with them.

Thanks,

Micah
    Male RN

Default Re: SCCY??

SCCY pistols had their fare share of problems in the past that, AFAIK, are still overlooked. The QC on early pistols was next to nothing, resulting in all sorts of issues.

The CPX series are cool looking pistols, but for the price you can get them at: $250-$300 you can pick up some other winners that will be well worth the price you pay (Diamondback DB9, LCP, ect.)

I certainly wouldn't trust a gun, where the safety engages while firing.
    Of course, they fixed this in the CPX-2 by simply taking the safety out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sccy_CPX-1

Sccy has just released, as of October 2010, the CPX-2, which only varies from the CPX-1 through its lack of safety levers and its redesigned polymer frame. This resolves a longtime complaint about the CPX-1 and the position of its safety levers. Early adopters of the CPX-2 are experiencing magazines falling out during shooting and chambering problems causing jams and feed failures. Shooters have also noted the trigger will not reset for a follow up shot. Sccy has stated that the issue is due to broken axis pins resulting from a vendor issue

(Mercer County)

They are garbage. Plain and simple.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Smile Re: SCCY??

They do make very good fishing sinkers,Heard nothing but Problems after a few mags shot,If you can afford and find one the S&W Shield 9mm is excellent.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    They are garbage. Plain and simple.
    Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    I've been in the market for a new CC gun. Couple places I looked had the SCCY in stock. Anyone dealt with these or know a little about them? Most dealers I have talked to aren't really all that familiar with them.

Thanks,

Micah
    I have quite a few rounds through mine and never a hiccup. I never had a problem with the safety but some of my friends did. I bought the safety bypass kit for $4.00 on gunbroker and have put shit ton of rounds down range with no issues.

Are there better guns out there? Sure, lots of them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another SCCY if I were in the market. Nor would I try to convince someone not to buy one.

My SCCY gets carried more than any other pistol I own. It's very light and conceals very well. I wouldn't choose to carry it into combat due to the mag capacity and long heavy trigger but very few CC pistols are suited for that duty anyway.

IMHO, it's just as good as the Keltec it was designed to compete with for a little less $$$.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Northampton County)

You are looking for someone who actually has one and has shot one-thats me. I am an ffl I took one on a dealer sample program so I got it cheap. I have the stainless slide Cpx 2 with no safety. The early ones did have some issues mainly with the safety coming on when it should not. There were some issues with barrels and they replaced them for free. They come with a lifetime warranty. Basically its a clone of the kel-tec but has a way better trigger and will group better than a kel-tec. I have a little over a thousand rounds thru it and it never has failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled. I deemed it reliable now ,but with that said you have to realize that these little guns like this are not going take 10 to 20 thousand rounds thru it they are not meant for that . I consider it a decent back up gun only weighs 17 ounces holds 11 rounds with one in the chamber and is good from 7 to ten yards. I don't generally carry it as a primary gun . Remember its only $220 to $260.00 range and you get what you pay for. If it's going to be a primary I would advise that that you get something that will take more abuse like a small glock, Sig Etc. If money is an issue then if you get one of these put at lease 300 rounds thru it and make sure you got a trouble free one. Brian /EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Cumberland County)

They are not garbage by any standard. They are decent guns overall. With that said, I don't like mine a whole heck of a lot just because it's a little "clunky" for a compact 9. Also, the CPX-1 had a bad safety design - the safety was down too far and would be easily engaged while firing. Solution was filing it a bit or removing it. Customer service is very good - I asked what could be done about the safety, and although there was not real fix, they sent me additional safety levers, etc. if I wanted to customize a few. The new CPX-2 looks nicer.
    I have never had a fte, ftf, etc. of any type. Very reliable. If you like it, I would not hesitate recommending it at all. Feel free to pm if you have any questions on mine!

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    They do make very good fishing sinkers,Heard nothing but Problems after a few mags shot,If you can afford and find one the S&W Shield 9mm is excellent.
    thats exactly what i'm looking for. so far no one around here has them or is holding their breath on getting one anytime soon. hoping to maybe check erie and the area in the next couple of days. only solid lead is cabelas...

gi
    Male RN

I had one and put 4000 rounds thru it. then the frame cracked. i sent it back and in 2 weeks had a completle new gun (mine was an early gen 1) i believe the frame cracked because i was shooting hotter loads from it. ( not quite +p tho)