Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default S&W Shield. Info please

I am looking into this gun for alternate SD carrying. Does anyone have it? What is your feedback regarding this gun as a carry gun?

Thanks.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: S&W Shield. Info please

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    I am looking into this gun for alternate SD carrying. Does anyone have it? What is your feedback regarding this gun as a carry gun?

Thanks.
    I have one in 9mm. Great gun, no malfunctions with factory ammo and reloads. Fit and finish are excellent. It has external safety. Some don't like it. But it doesn't bother me. Safety is not easy to accidentally engage/disengage. There is no loaded chamber indicator. It's light and thin, that it replaced my summer EDC (Ruger LCP). Just to be clear, it's not as light as LCP, but it's light enough for me to replace my EDC. Easily concealed with IWB kydex holster and a dark T-shirt.

Cons:
    - not ambi (not a con for me, since I'm right handed).
    - hard to lock-in a full magazine. I'm guessing it will ease-up when mag spring loosen-up.
    - I had problem with sights where it shoots low. There is no elevation adjustment, so it went back to S&W.
    - I didn't like the galvanized look of the magazine. Would have liked black or stainless. The follower is gray. So it gets dirty. Would have love black follower. But this should not be factor.
    - Thin grips might be an issue for bigger hands. Easily fixed with houge grips, but that defeats the purpose of being "thin and concealed".

(Somerset County)

I have been carrying one for 3 months now. I would recomend this as a carry gun to anyone. It is very slim and easy to carry. I have about 250 rounds through it of different kinds and have had zero problems with it. I like the manual safety if you don't just leave it off. I seems to be very well thought out and mine has a very good fit and finish on it. It carries almost as well as a small 380 but with 9mm I feel much better.

Smile Re: S&W Shield. Info please

Slight correction,The Shield has a loaded indicator or hole on top so as to visually see if a round is chambered,I like this feature,In addition we have two Shields 9mm & One in 40,great CCWs no problems very accurate on large hole x ring with 7 rounds fired,I retired my Glock 26 for this gun.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Slight correction,The Shield has a loaded indicator or hole on top so as to visually see if a round is chambered,I like this feature,In addition we have two Shields 9mm & One in 40,great CCWs no problems very accurate on large hole x ring with 7 rounds fired,I retired my Glock 26 for this gun.
    Yes, it does have a hole to check visually for round in chamber. I don't consider that as LCI, although technically it is. Other guns have LCI that pops-up, which hangs-up when holstering a gun (such as the Ruger SR9c).

Quote Originally Posted by filgun11 View Post
    Yes, it does have a hole to check visually for round in chamber. I don't consider that as LCI, although technically it is. Other guns have LCI that pops-up, which hangs-up when holstering a gun (such as the Ruger SR9c).
    I really Dis-like the Pop-Ups,On my Computer & Guns.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you everyone for your responses

Based on them, I went to my local shops and no one had it in stock. I did put my name on a list for it.

In the mean time it looks like I am buying a H&K P2000 as another alternate carry gun. I can't stay away from those darn H&K's.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by unamuzed View Post
    Let me know what you decide. I am debating replacing my keltec pf9 for the shield 9 or the xds. I would prefer the shield .40 but do not want another caliber to worry about. However Ive been eyeballing your pm9 trade for my laptop. God it looks so much better than the keltec
    My wife picked up the xds, and she loves it. I also like it. It is very thin, accurate and 45, what more could you want. She originally was looking at the shield but liked the feel of the xds better for her hand.

Quote Originally Posted by unamuzed View Post
    ugh I think I may do the same. I really need to join a shooting range so I can try before I buy. My gut says get the .40 but I don't want another caliber that I have to worry about buying ammo for.
    Have to say My Shield 9mm is a pleasure to shoot,exceptional accuracy ! The Shield 40 S&W I will reserve opinions and say it can be a handful but again exceptional accuracy !

Most definitley shoot both to make an informed decision ! If you get up to N E PA,You can try both my Shields 9mm & 40s&w to help you decide,Always willing to help on this site for fellow shooters,If you decide send me a p m .good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast