Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Out of State Purchase

Very simple question. I suppose I could google it but from what I've been reading, the experts are here anyway.

What extra effort/hoops to jump through (if any) does out-of-state purchase of firearms (particularly handguns) entail?

More specifically...I would really like to purchase an M&P Shield. Fired it. Loved it. Want to buy it. I think it would make a perfect carry for my wife and if she doesn't like it...well...I love it.

No one local has them (understandably) but is it even worthwhile looking out-of-state?

As an aside...lemme say I am loving this forum. So professionally managed and such expertise abounds. What a tremendous resource!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Out of State Purchase

INTERstate firearms transfers need to go through an FFL of the buyers state.

Check out the stickies in the general section
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/

Welcome
    Last edited by BimmerJon; August 7th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

(Bucks County)

Your post says you do live in PA. Whoever you buy the pistol from will ship it to an FFL local to you, your choice. You will pay for the pistol, shipping, and your LGS/FFL will charge you for the background check & transfer.

Before you buy the pistol, you should go to (eg) your local LGS and ask them if they will accept a shipment, and what the cost will be. Whoever you buy the pistol from will likely want a copy of your LGS's FFL faxed to them, certainly if they have not done business with that LGS before. So you would get a copy from your LGS at this time. Once you know you have a place to send it, and the license copy, and know the fee involved . . . then you can go ahead and buy the pistol from any licensed FFL anywhere. (Note that your LGS may not accept an incoming pistol if the sender is not an FFL.)

As an example - I bought a pistol from a store in Western PA and had them ship it to a store local to me. In this case I also paid PA sales tax. My LGS charged me $40 for the transfer, compared to $10 for doing the background check had I purchased the pistol from them.

And you thought this was simple lol . . . well, it is I guess . . . sorta simple
    Last edited by Twoboxer; August 7th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.

(Allegheny County)

So this would be the process, then, were I to drive an hour down the road to Wheeling, WV and "overpay" full retail at Cabela's? Transfer fees and paperwork would be added to the "buying experience"?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tvtog View Post
    So this would be the process, then, were I to drive an hour down the road to Wheeling, WV and "overpay" full retail at Cabela's? Transfer fees and paperwork would be added to the "buying experience"?
    You'll need to go through an FFL either way, INTRAstate or INTERstate.

If you drive to WV, you can buy it, but you won't be driving it home with you. It has to be shipped to a PA FFL

(Beaver County)

Yes, Cabela's would have to ship to a FFL in PA.

(Bucks County)

As they said . . . "Yes".

Wanting NOW is always more expensive than waiting. The SR22 in my example probably cost me $85 more than it would have had I been willing to wait . . . ~1/3 for shipping . . . ~1/3 for higher FFL Fee . . . 1/3 for a Premium Price.

Unlike many other extra costs required by government regulation, these are highly visible. The only silver lining is they tend to keep local gun shops in business.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; August 7th, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

(Somerset County)

It maybe a long drive for you but call Hoover outfitting in rockwood pa (somerset county) I bought one there a couple months ago for a VERY good price. Phone814) 926-3051 see if they have one in stock. make sure you have a GPS with you its out in the country but his prices are worth the drive in my opinion.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks habuch...

Was looking to take the bike out this weekend and Somerset County is as good a destination as any....alas....Hoover's is out of stock as well. but thanks.