Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: York City Police Department to Deploy Automatic License Plate Scanners

the matrix has you, so resistance is futile...

(York County)

Default Re: York City Police Department to Deploy Automatic License Plate Scanners

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    How is Michael Helfrich still on city council in the first place? Didn't he plead guilty to a felony? Making him unable to hold public office?

-Chaz
    Felony conviction does not automatically disqualify a person for public office. The standard in PA is if it is an "infamous" crime you are convicted of. The courts ruled the circumstances of his did not fit that standard.

York City...where e-mails belong to Lt. Fells., Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    Felony conviction does not automatically disqualify a person for public office. The standard in PA is if it is an "infamous" crime you are convicted of. The courts ruled the circumstances of his did not fit that standard.
    Narrowly. I don't support the infamous crime nonsense used for drug cases, but either way the current state of affairs is in disarray. Gary Mitchell, councilman elect in New Castle, was barred from office under similar circumstances and charges just months before Helfrich was granted his seat.

Guess the original thread topic is dead. I'm out.
    http://abetteryork.com Candidate for York City Council 2013

(Perry County)

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/08/.../?intcmp=hpbt1

License plate reader technology picked up Vester Lee Flanagan’s car after he shot and killed two TV journalists in Virginia early on Wednesday.

A license plate reader in the vehicle of Virginia State Trooper Pamela Neff picked up Flanagan’s Chevrolet on Interstate 66 at approximately 11:20 a.m. ET.

During a press conference Neff explained that the car was quickly identified after she entered its details into her license plate reader. "As soon as it was entered, it came up with a positive hit that that vehicle just passed me less than three minutes earlier," she said. "I let my dispatch know that the vehicle has passed me and I attempted to catch up with the vehicle, which was travelling eastbound on 66."
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    License plate reader technology picked up Vester Lee Flanagan’s car after he shot and killed two TV journalists in Virginia early on Wednesday.
    So? Does that one act justify monitoring the activities of millions of Americans?

Please not again.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lancaster County)

I don't like them but won't cry that it helped find this jack hole.

I wonder if three hitch balls would obstruct enough to keep me off the grid.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I don't like them but won't cry that it helped find this jack hole.

No.. But a horse, straw hat, and changing your last name to Yoder will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Having installed ANPR systems, visibly transparent IR-reflective/IR-opaque spray or plate cover and if you can be bothered infrared LEDs.

To clarify, you can't legally get close to 100% ANPR protection. If they filter out infrared, don't use a flash, or filter out the infrared light from the flash it will do precisely jack shit. There's only so much you can do without actually blocking visible light, which would be illegal. The closest you can get is a directional plate cover (passive), electrochromic plate covers (generally unpowered = opaque), or I suppose for a normally-transparent cover a mechanical series of rotating horizontal rectangular prisms with two opaque and two transparent sides. The legality of any of this is sketchy at best so it's best not to discuss here.

At least we live in a state that doesn't require front plates or fingerprints for permits.
    Last edited by greenjohn88; August 27th, 2015 at 12:03 AM. Reason: clarified

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by greenjohn88 View Post
    Having installed ANPR systems, visibly transparent IR-reflective/IR-opaque spray or plate cover and if you can be bothered infrared LEDs.

At least we live in a state that doesn't require front plates or fingerprints for permits.
    I thought about LEDs

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast