Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default SA XDm 5.25 - 9mm or 45acp

So here's my dilemma... I have just started in IDPA with my Taurus PT1911 .45. Obviously I'm shooting CDP. I have been looking at the XDm 5.25 for my competition piece as the 1911 is my normal carry piece. However, I am completely stumped as to whether I should get the 5.25 in 9mm or .45.

If I get it in 9mm I can shoot that in ESP and the Taurus in CDP... whatever I'm feeling that day.

If I get the 5.25 in .45 than I can use that to shoot CDP and ESP. However, that puts me at a small disadvantage in ESP when I'm up against 9mm shooters. And possibly in CDP when up against 1911s (might be able to combat this with a trigger job)

Yes I know, I should get both of them, but that isn't an option right now.

I would love to hear thoughts on either one. Just as an FYI, in the first IDPA match I competed in, there were only 9 CDP shooters and I placed 4th (not bad in my eyes). There were more in ESP, but most people had Glocks and were in SSP. I like having less people to compete against.

And finally, should I sell my Beretta M9 to fund this purchase?
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Blair County)

Default Re: SA XDm 5.25 - 9mm or 45acp

One factor to consider is the cost of 9mm vs. 45acp. If you shoot a few IDPA matches, the cost will start to add up. If you like IDPA, you may find yourself shooting some practice sessions between matches. My friend shoots a SA XDm 5.25 in 45acp and does well with it. I was impressed with its accuracy. However, the cost of shooting 45acp factory vs. 9mm factory ammo is significant.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JimM View Post
    One factor to consider is the cost of 9mm vs. 45acp. If you shoot a few IDPA matches, the cost will start to add up. If you like IDPA, you may find yourself shooting some practice sessions between matches. My friend shoots a SA XDm 5.25 in 45acp and does well with it. I was impressed with its accuracy. However, the cost of shooting 45acp factory vs. 9mm factory ammo is significant.
    I had considered that. However, I do reload .45... for the most part. (Still dialing in the loads that will make power factor.) So ammo cost is not that big of a consideration. Then again, a lot of clubs these matches are "lost brass" matches. I think once I get a little more known and recognized, I might be able to work out deals...
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Elk County)

I was previously shooting a Glock 21 in IDPA, and purchased an XDm 5.25 in 9mm. I reload for both, so ammo really wasn't a concern. I really love the 9mm for competition. I'm saving around $40/thousand just for the bullets themselves. I'm LOADING 1,000 9mm rounds for what the 45 bullets cost for the same amount. Eventually I will be adding a Springer Precision trigger. The reset on the stock trigger seems pretty long.

(Susquehanna County)

If you get your new XDM 5.25 in .45 ACP it shall be in accordance with the requirements for CDP caliber must be .45 (You may only load 9 rounds max to equal a magazine of 8 plus one chambered) and you must make 165,000 power factor, SSP caliber equal to or greater than 9mm (load 11 to equal 10 round mag plus one chamered) meet PF of 125,000 and ESP caliber equal to or greater than 9mm (load 11 to equal 10 round mag plus one chamered) meet PF of 125,000. That way you only need to be familiar and proficient with one pistol and one accessory system.

Besides that you also save the cost of 3 guns plus their ammo and accessories. So you can shoot and practice more with your .45!

Am I gaming it? Damn right! It is a game to begin with.

BTW, ESP has a power factor of 125,000 so you can down load your .45 ACP to target levels as long as the gun still runs. EXample using a 200 grain bullet you need a velocity of 625 fps to make the PF so if you run your loads at around 750 you're more than safe for the PF and you're using a reduced load. Or stick with full power loads for all the divisions and practice enough so the recoil recovery is not an issue.
    Last edited by Brick; August 8th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    If you get your new XDM 5.25 in .45 ACP it shall be in accordance with the requirements for CDP caliber must be .45 (You may only load 9 rounds max to equal a magazine of 8 plus one chambered) and you must make 165,000 power factor, SSP caliber equal to or greater than 9mm (load 11 to equal 10 round mag plus one chamered) meet PF of 125,000 and ESP caliber equal to or greater than 9mm (load 11 to equal 10 round mag plus one chamered) meet PF of 125,000. That way you only need to be familiar and proficient with one pistol and one accessory system.

Besides that you also save the cost of 3 guns plus their ammo and accessories. So you can shoot and practice more with your .45!

Am I gaming it? Damn right! It is a game to begin with.

BTW, ESP has a power factor of 125,000 so you can down load your .45 ACP to target levels as long as the gun still runs. EXample using a 200 grain bullet you need a velocity of 625 fps to make the PF so if you run your loads at around 750 you're more than safe for the PF and you're using a reduced load. Or stick with full power loads for all the divisions and practice enough so the recoil recovery is not an issue.
    Brick, you just made all the sense in the world. Part of me was thinking about getting a 9mm and carrying that and my 1911 to matches and deciding when I got there which division to shoot. This would mean 2 guns, separate magazines and separate ammo.

If I go with the 45 I can load 2 different velocity ammo. I have already had a bunch of loads chrono'd that were below CDP but perfect for ESP. Since I already have those formulas, I'm all set. (Still dialing in the CDP power). But then that means only needing to take 1 gun, 1 holster, 1 mag pouch and 1 set of magazines. That's way better than 2 of everything, and then having to leave what I'm not using in the car.

While I might be at a slight disadvantage against 1911's, I plan on doing the trigger job and that should even the score a bit.

You are awesome and getting rep. I cannot believe I didn't think of creating low-power 45's. I just hope they cycle properly... oh well, more testing!

Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it... should i sell my Beretta?

(Susquehanna County)

Thank you! The advantage shared by the XDM 5.25, M&P 45 and similar models is that in .45 ACP they fit the requirements for all 3 semi-auto divisions of IDPA. For myself I prefer full-size models.

The choice of which gun to buy is an individual preference since they're all really fine weapons. When push comes to shove I really cannot determine what "advantage" a 1911 would have over one of those. Lighter trigger pull, quicker trigger reset? Machs Nicht, in IDPA competition. And for accuracy if you can stay COM at 35 yards that's the most you'll need.

Please don't ask me about Beretta especialy the Model 92 variants, I hated the damn things when the Army replaced the 1911 with them and I stll do.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Please don't ask me about Beretta especialy the Model 92 variants, I hated the damn things when the Army replaced the 1911 with them and I stll do.
    That was more a general question for everyone, not you specifically.

At this point I have fallen in love with .45 acp. I don;t see the need to keep a 9mm around. I'll keep the ammo in case my wife gets a 9mm, but the Beretta is too big for her. That's a whole other story.

Thanks again for the info and the help.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    At this point I have fallen in love with .45 acp. I don;t see the need to keep a 9mm around. I'll keep the ammo in case my wife gets a 9mm, but the Beretta is too big for her.
    While I'm not a fan of the Beretta, there are advantages to having a pistol and rifle that share (at least) commonality of caliber with the U.S. military standard. When caliber and model are basically common the possible advantages increase. If noting else you can shoot your Beretta in CMP Service Pistol Matches, a great way to improve your basic marksmanship skills.