Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Ok help me w/ a decision!

My wife, God bless her, has given me the go ahead to purchase and AR. I, for the life of me, cannot decide to get either the CAR style with the stainless barrel, the mid-lenght with SS barrel, or the M4 lightweight.

Please add your comments either pro or con for these styles. My reckoning is that the mid-lenght is more reliabel, but I do like the look of the CAR and M4 styles. Please help

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ok help me w/ a decision!

It all depends on what you're going to do with it.

If you have any aspirations to shoot CMP, then I'd go for a full size or at least a mid length.

For home defense or for three gun matches, I think an M4gery would be the way to go.

I have a Bushmaster EXM15 M4. It's great for action shoots where I'm not shooting long distances, but the short sight radius kills me in CMP matches. The very best I can do is about 3" at 100 yards from the prone position. Don't even ask about how I do unsupported.

I don't think the mid length is more reliable. If you get one from a good manufacturer, they should all be reliable regardless of barrel length. The difference will be in accuracy and that's due to the shorter sight radius.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the full size.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks Karys, I am looking for something to have fun at the range, nothing real serious as far as distance shooting. I don't see myself shooting anymore than 100 meters or yards. Home defense? Ehh maybe, I have several handguns and a Mossberg for that. I just don't know If I like the exposed portion of the barrel on the M4s and the CARs, it just kind of looks too long to me. I don't know, I do like the M4s front furniture though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by K9346 View Post
    Thanks Karys, I am looking for something to have fun at the range, nothing real serious as far as distance shooting. I don't see myself shooting anymore than 100 meters or yards. Home defense? Ehh maybe, I have several handguns and a Mossberg for that. I just don't know If I like the exposed portion of the barrel on the M4s and the CARs, it just kind of looks too long to me. I don't know, I do like the M4s front furniture though.
    Unfortunately you can't get around that extra barrel length sticking out from under the M4 handguards unless you go the SBR route and fill out a form 4 and that whole mess. You won't mind the looks of the barrel when you collapse the stock all the way down and shoot some close range combat drills with it.

If it's just going to be a fun range gun, then I think a carbine will be easier to handle since it's shorter and lighter. It'll be more expensive though depending on what features you get on it and who makes it.

Lately I've been shooting mine at longer distances and I've been having trouble keeping the group size down beyond 150 yards. I'm thinking of slapping a scope on top of the carry handle just to see how good it'll really shoot.

What are the specific models and manufacturers that you're considering?

(Lancaster County)

Yeah you are right and that was what I was leaning towards. This will be my 1st ar, other than the military, that I have owned. I'm gonna build it with the top receiver and barrel assembly coming frm M&A parts. I've settled on the CAR SS
    16", flattop, with a MAD detatchable, flip rear site and chromed bolt. All that for about $620. I can't make the gunshow at Valley Forge this w/e so I have a buddy of mine who is pretty knowledgeable looking for a lower for me.

Anyone have any suggestions about the lower i.e. what to get what not to get?

(Bucks County)

Anyone have any suggestions about the lower i.e. what to get what not to get?
    Since this is just a knock around gun, I wouldn't spend any more money than you have to, like for a Bushmaster or DPMS. I've heard good things about Stag lowers. Even an Olympic lower would work.

Once you get your AR together you'll have to post pics and give us a range report.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    Since this is just a knock around gun, I wouldn't spend any more money than you have to, like for a Bushmaster or DPMS. I've heard good things about Stag lowers. Even an Olympic lower would work.

Once you get your AR together you'll have to post pics and give us a range report.
    That's about what I was planning on doing. DPMS or Stag. I will post pics and a renge report ASAP. Thanks for the input Karys.

There aren't many companies that actually make the upper or lower receivers...most are made by LMT or CMT...those companies just CNC a logo onto their receivers for resale to RRA/DPMS...etc etc. I own some Stag aka CMT stripped lowers...I dig the deer logo.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that midlength barrels are more reliable. Like with many things in life...it is personal preference. The AR15's that I own are 16" and that works for me. I carried the 20" while in the service, and I don't notice any accuracy loss from going with a shorter barrel. As a matter of fact...my AR15's are more accurate than my M16s I was issued in the Army.

I would say that the most important factor you should consider is buying an AR with a free floated tube...that will impact your accuracy more than anything else will.

(Allegheny County)

I just don't know If I like the exposed portion of the barrel on the M4s and the CARs, it just kind of looks too long to me.
    You can always try a Yankee Hill Machine Kit...............

"Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

... I, for the life of me, cannot decide to get either the CAR style with the stainless barrel, the mid-lenght with SS barrel, or the M4 lightweight.
    ... Please help
    That's easy - buy them all, over time if need be. If there was one gun for all occasions, there would be no such thing as (nor a need for) variety. Might want to budget something a little more evil (AK fits this bill) before the Dems take over the White House in 2008.

I'm thinking about running off some phallus-shaped flash hiders, with a skull shaped tip (flames from slower burning powder comes out the eye sockets, of course). It will also have multiple bayonet mounts arranged radially around the barrel. Can't decide whether to use cheap chrome plating or flourescent orange. </humor>