Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default OC Bicycle carry - shoulder holster?

Yeah yeah I was hoping it would get seen here more, the OC forum is kinda anti-bicycle :P

Anywho after another run in with disgruntled geriatrics & stupid rednecks, I decided to OC while I'm out bicycling, something big & stainless on my back/side as a deterrent to being a target of their misdirected rage.

I'm the shaved legs/spandex type of cyclist, so the holster needs to stay put while standing and/or sitting hunched over, and most importantly extremely visible to rear approaching traffic. Also washable/cleanable, I sweat a LOT. Advice/opinions on holsters?

(Berks County)

Default Re: OC Bicycle carry - shoulder holster?

"extremely visible to rear approaching traffic"

Really?? I ride and carry, sometimes pepper spray for the mutts that chase me (my 50+ year old legs can't sprint from them like I used to) and sometimes something more lethal. I carry both discretely. Why do you want to advertise?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer652 View Post
    Yeah yeah I was hoping it would get seen here more, the OC forum is kinda anti-bicycle :P

Anywho after another run in with disgruntled geriatrics & stupid rednecks, I decided to OC while I'm out bicycling, something big & stainless on my back/side as a deterrent to being a target of their misdirected rage.

I'm the shaved legs/spandex type of cyclist, so the holster needs to stay put while standing and/or sitting hunched over, and most importantly extremely visible to rear approaching traffic. Also washable/cleanable, I sweat a LOT. Advice/opinions on holsters?
    I don't generally have a problem with OC. But I'm concerned that your attitude here is that you are OCing with the intent to threaten/intimidate people. Could you clarify?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

Pffft...no problem

1988 Sig P226, 1988 Porsche 911, Coincidence?

(Montgomery County)

I ride my bike on trails up to 5 times per week and have taken to carrying my SR9c in a fanny pack. There are areas along the trail that are fairly secluded and there have been multiple flashers on the trail over the past year. I carry not only for my own protection, but can foresee a situation where I may ride up on a sexual assault in progress.

Here's where I will change gears on the OP. I would like a better rig, but when I'm on my bike I can't think of any good reason to OC (and I OC almost exclusively) So I went with buying a pack that's large enough to store the gun with a compact mag.

This set-up also allows me to store my wallet (LTCF inside), a folder, car keys, and phone with GPS. The way I see it, if someone tries to rob me I'll most likely be able to open the pack under the guise of getting my wallet...and out comes the gun.

Anyway, as others have said, it sounds like you want to OC for the wrong reason. Funny thing I learned years ago, trying to look like a bad ass only acts as a magnet for bad asses. I'd recommend going with CC for the convenience, and the added safety of not having 2 lbs of steel pressed against your spine or ribs. Bikers have a tendency to wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer652 View Post

Just wanted to clarify that you have your LTCF. It is my understanding that a bike is considered a vehicle and you need a LTCF to carry on one. OC/CC is not legal on a bike without one.

(Beaver County)

Ahhh, it never fails. I'm a 10 year PA LTCF holder, 4 year UT CCW holder, frequently air travel with guns. I normally carry a .380 bug in my right jersey pocket, cell phone in left, my other needs are in a saddle bag. And I normally OC when on foot. I'm not some roid raging Zimmerman looking for trouble, I just want to ride my bike without people throwing shit at me, trying to run me off the road, buzzing me at 45mph, and generally taking out their inadequate lives on what they perceive as an easy target.

Yesterday's road rager was a geriatric mf'ing me up one side & down the other while I was sitting at a red light (she was making a left turn onto the road I was on). She decided to do a 180 then chase me down & ride my ass at 30mph (yes I was going 30mph) incessantly blowing the horn. The .380 & cell are pretty useless in that situation, and shame on me for not being aware of my surrounding or else I would have just sat at the light until she left me alone.

So yeah, I intend to intimidate stalkers that are clearly not in their right mind, who may or may not be attempting assault with a 4,000# weapon and/or murder, because I can't really do much else when they're already behind me and no road or parking lot to turn into at speed.

Again, I was very specific with my earlier question: Can anyone recommend a holster with my requirements?
    Last edited by mxracer652; August 7th, 2012 at 07:21 AM.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

First of all, to the OP -- please do a little reflection on your purpose for carrying. Make sure your head is in the game right on this issue. Carrying so that other people will think you're a bad ass is not the way to be.

Almost every time I ride my bike (which is now several times/week,) I have a Glock 19 or a Glock 17 in an OWB holster. I wear a pair of shorts over my bike shorts when I'm on a long ride, and use my regular gun belt. It works, it's comfortable, and it's very secure--the gun stays put regardless of my position, or how hard I'm working. I think it also gives you the most options in terms of holsters.

It's usually concealed by one of those 3m high-visibility safety vests (which I wear for visibility in city traffic.) Similar to this: http://scotchlitestore.3m.com/5pt-br...d-vea502sxlmmd

No, I don't look stylish or cool....but I suppose if I was worried about that, I wouldn't be riding a bicycle to Whole Foods.

If you're not worried about carrying openly, the 5.11 'concealed carry' compression shirt works great for small, pocket .380 pistols--not so much with a larger pistol like a Glock, though:

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ter-Shirt.html

I will often wear this shirt while biking, since it is a convenient way to carry things like a cell phone or wallet securely. (I have two of them, which I rotate.)

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Yesterday's road rager was a geriatric mf'ing me up one side & down the other while I was sitting at a red light (she was making a left turn onto the road I was on). She decided to do a 180 then chase me down & ride my ass at 30mph (yes I was going 30mph) incessantly blowing the horn. The .380 & cell are pretty useless in that situation, and shame on me for not being aware of my surrounding or else I would have just sat at the light until she left me alone.
    The cell is not completely useless here. Call the police and file a report. Not an immediate solution, but you should at least file a complaint.

Did you try to stop and let her pass, or was that not an option given the road you were on?

ETA: Also, if I were you, I'd take a few days off from riding. Don't ride angry.
    Last edited by Johannes_Paulsen; August 7th, 2012 at 07:52 AM.

(Beaver County)

I carry to deter violence against myself and property, not to be a "bad ass". This is no different. There is no way I'm going to take a hand off of the bars to reach for my phone with a lunatic chasing me. Nor was there anywhere to safely dive off the road at 30mph and I sure wasn't going to slow down in that situation.

Last time I was assaulted by a motorist (threw garbage out of the window, and not obeying the 3' rule), they were stupid enough to turn into a shopping center 1/4 mile up the road, which I saw, so I chased the driver down, took a picture of her face, got the license plate number and reported it. Nothing happened because it is "he said/she said". I don't call the cops anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast