Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Sights off or technique?

So I shot an IDPA match and classifier this weekend and did pretty bad considering how much I am at the range practicing. Went back to the range today just to check my guns to see if it was my technique that really killed my scores or if my sights are off since I just had them replaced on all of my guns.

Ran 150 rounds through both my 9mm's and 250 rounds through my 1911. All three guns shoot consistently to left about 3 inches at 7 yards. Moved the target out to 10 yard and shots came about 1 inch off center to the left still. Moved out to 15 yards and shots were right in line with center. Moved out to 20 yards and still center with some flyers which were my fault.

This pattern seems really strange to me and I can't think of anything that would cause such inaccuracy issues at such a close range. I would expect just the opposite. I also have a little bit of hold over with the sights on all three guns at close range proportionate to what I was seeing.

I am using 9mm round nose and .45 SWC lead cast bullets in all guns.

Could it be something with the rifling of the barrel that is causing so much inaccuracy at close range compared to shots out at a distance? I even tried bench resting to see if it was me and came up with close to the same results. I would be interested to hear some educated theories as to what is going on here.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Sights off or technique?

Given that it's the same results for all 3 guns, shot the same way even though they are different from each other, my bet is that it's you. More specifically, your sight picture/composition at close range is likely off since you are consistent and do manage to land them in the center at 15 yards and beyond.

I don't quite understand this statement: "I also have a little bit of hold over with the sights on all three guns at close range proportionate to what I was seeing." Can you clarify the hold over and why? At the 3 distances, the site picture should be roughly the same (with the farther away target more covered), so I'm not sure the reason for hold over.

Try letting someone who is equally or more experienced shoot your guns and see if they have the same problem.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Susquehanna County)

I'm betting you need to go back and review the basics of pistol markmanship.

Errors introduced by misaligned sights would be minimized at close ranges and get progressively worse at longer ranges.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

You probably tend to look at your target on the 7 and 10 yard range instead of focusing on the front sight, and on the further target you focus on your front sight because you have no choice.

On a right handed shooter low and left usually mean that you are not gripping the pistol firm enough and tend to milk the grip upon squeezing the trigger.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun