Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Can felon stay at gun owner's home?

Mt father-in-law lives in South Carolina and wants to visit his daughter (my wife) and his grandchildren. He's handicapped and unable to drive and he plans to stay with us for about a week. A relative of his (and I guess, us, through marriage) has offered to drive him here but this relative is a convicted felon. I remember hearing or reading that it is illegal for a convicted felon to stay at a property where there are firearms.

So my question is: Can we legally have this convicted felon stay in our home for about a week while my father-in-law visits or do we have to put him up in a motel or some other place that doesn't have firearms?

Thanks in advance for help.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Can felon stay at gun owner's home?

Yes, but if you want him to be able to stay - you will need to lock up all guns and ammunition so that he cannot have access to it. Otherwise he could get in trouble for possession and possibly you as well for providing a gun/ammo to a prohibited person.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

With PA parole, if the felons parole agent found out he was staying in a home with guns more than likely he would have his parole revoked. This is whether the guns were locked up or not.

(Lehigh County)

It likely depends on the parole officers if he no longer has one then you'll be just secure ALL GUNS no night stand top draws must all be locked away...good luck on your visit
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrmm22sr View Post
    It likely depends on the parole officers if he no longer has one then you'll be just secure ALL GUNS no night stand top draws must all be locked away...good luck on your visit
    I'm with ya on this one - in addition , while not all felons are violent felons, might not be a bad idea to keep one of your firearms on your person around the clock just in case.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Lehigh County)

Rob gun thinking anything new come thru text me
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Venango County)

Since the subject of parole came up, don't you need special permission to leave the county let alone the state? This assumes a current active parole. I know it might vary state to state. I know that some had/have laws about no cohabitation unless you were married to that person etc. The idea is to simplify your life and ensure you don't run away to another jurisdiction etc.

I would definitely at least lock it all up. If there is a key, I'd store that off site to be honest. (Friend's lockbox or bank safety deposit box)

IANAL and not sure how strictly it is or can be enforced. Perhaps Gunlawyer could chime in though it probably varies between states.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

I may be wrong but the OP stated he was a convicted felon, not a parolee. Convicted felons are free to do what they want to do except own a gun. You need to lock up all those weapons.

(Lycoming County)

How well do you know this person?

How long ago has the crime been committed?

Is it possible he is now off parole and so he does not have certain limitations placed upon him?

Is it possible to call a probation office and ask if there are any universal rules for people in that position?

How long are they coming for?

Do you have a way to lock them up?

How many firearms do you have to deal with?

If necessary, do you have a brother or sister or a friend where you can leave them for the duration? (This may be the easiest.)

http://felonyguide.com/Felony-Gun-Laws.php or
    http://www.lawqa.com/qa/can-nonviole...-i-own-firearm

These are a few questions you may want to consider to help decide how to handle them.

Enjoy the time with your father-in-law.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I may be wrong but the OP stated he was a convicted felon, not a parolee. Convicted felons are free to do what they want to do except own a gun. You need to lock up all those weapons.
    Specifically, they can't touch, hold, shoot, control, borrow or in any way possess firearms or ammunition, in most cases in Pennsylvania including blackpowder guns (visitors are still subject to Pennsylvania's law as well as Federal laws.)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast