Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Gunlawyer Session 1 Firearms law Workshop

We're trying a new location, an extremely nice facility, B & R Family Fitness Club in Feasterville, right off Street Road, very accessible from anywhere in southeastern Pennsylvania, and really worth a look for their courts, pools, kids summer camps, and other amenities. Held on Sunday, September 9th, from 1 PM to no later than 5 PM.

It's a roundtable discussion where I cover a basic agenda, and we take questions as we go. Cost is $50 per person for the 4 hour session, which isn't bad for 4 hours with a lawyer.

This is Session 1, Pennsylvania law I - Basically, the buying, owning, carrying and disposing of guns. Topics include:

* Owning, open & concealed carrying, vehicle transport, in and around the home, motor homes, "in" motorcycles, workplaces, and what counts as "between" named exemptions

* PICS/NICS

* LTCF's - denials, revocations. Appeals

* transferring, inheriting, lending, borrowing, pawning, gifting

* prohibited persons under PA and Federal law, temporary prohibitions; domestic relations & Lautenburg (minors, some aliens, convictions, indictments, dishonorable discharges, mental adjudications)

* Limited immunity under the PA UFA; waivers and releases as applied to 3rd-parties

* Allowing prohibited persons access to your guns; living with a prohibited person

* Getting rights restored; Pardons, restorations, other avenues under PA and Federal laws

* Storage requirements and advice;

* Seized guns; forfeiture and return of property proceedings;

* PA preemption - how it applies, how it doesn't; zoning, discharge restrictions, possession of firearms on municipal property; nuisance, noise, health & safety

* Federal preemption - the 1986 FOPA requirements

* PA constitution- Art 1, Sec 21

This is a family facility and a lot of non-gun people will be milling about with their kids and bottled waters, so let's avoid scaring the soccer moms. For this session, I'm requiring you to legally conceal any firearms you might have for the trip between your car and the classroom, about 100 feet. OC is fine in the class, just not through the parking lot or lobby. If you lack an LTCF, then (a) you shouldn't be showing up with handguns in a car, and (b) please leave any guns at home. I understand that this is a sore point for some, but it's a compromise that I need to make, for now, to get access to nice facilities like this. This is NOT a tactical gun-handling class, you can carry OC or CC in the classroom, but we're not yet at the point where displayed firearms in the common areas cause no trouble to our facilities hosts. If it's a deal-breaker, I will probably have another Session 1 class without this restriction at a gun club sometime this year or in 2013, possibly in Hellertown, and the gun clubs I use have members who are mostly fine with open carry. Mostly.

To sign up, you might want to confirm that space is left by calling me (1-215-538-4444) and then sending in the registration form with a check or MO. Here's the form: http://www.pgklaw.com/registration_form.pdf
    http://www.pgklaw.com/registration_form.pdf

We're holding a Session 2 workshop August 19 in a couple of weeks in Orefield. A description of all 3 sessions can be found HERE: http://www.pgklaw.com/

These may be taken in any order, or you can take either one. Neither is a pre-requisite for the other. If anyone has an interest in Session 3, let me know, it's really my favorite, and includes All Things NFA.

Any questions, post here or send me a PM. Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Gunlawyer Session 1 Firearms law Workshop

Thanks.

Sending out form this Friday.

Glad to see it is in the area.

(Bucks County)

I may attend august class instead. Looks more beneficial for me.
    Will let you know.

(Washington County)

Hello, are there any plans for a workshop in SW Pa. Maybe Pittsburgh or surrounding area? Thank you for your time.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Would definitely be interested in a Pittsburgh/Western PA session in the future.

Especially if CLE was offered.

I would be willing to travel to Pittsburgh if there's a group that wants to set something up. It's tough for me to scout locations and evaluate interest from the other end of the state, but if a gun club or other group has 20 or more members willing to sign up for a date, I'm game.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Washington County)

I have at least 2 people that would attend. I can also look into a venue.

I'm glad these classes are taking place. 5 hours 42 mins drive for me, if there is ever a Pittsburgh location meeting in mind I'm there.
    Last edited by Lazylaser; August 13th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Montgomery County)

Would you mind going over your background briefly and some of your qualifications for those that don't know?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    I have at least 2 people that would attend. I can also look into a venue.
    I'm trying to buy a house, and have my first baby due in a month, so I'm way too busy to try to set something up with a venue and promote it at this time. But if someone is able to come up with something, I'm in, and most likely would have 3-5 additional attendees.

If it ends up that nobody is able to set something up, I'm sure that I'll have time next year, and would be happy to organize something with you GL.

I'm not sure of your availability, but I would think that perhaps a session 2 Friday evening / session 1 Saturday afternoon would help to get the most out of your time and the long drive out here.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast