Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Conceal Carry in Movie Theater

Not sure if something similar has been posted already.

Last night I went to a Regal Cinema with my wife and a few friends for the Batman movie. I was conceal carrying until I observed a small sign on the door that prohibited firearms. I guess I noticed it because of the Aurora, CO shootings and wasn't sure on the Theaters policy. Well I went back to my car and locked my firearm in the glove box.
    My main question is, does anyone simply ignore this and proceed into the Theater or did what I did? Even though I'm legal to CC, Is it a slap on the wrist if you get caught somehow? Their was security there and they were only checking women's purses. In the wake of the Colorado shootings, I'm very upset the theater would still have a so called 'Gun Free Zone'. Felt vulnerable that night.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Conceal Carry in Movie Theater

Quote Originally Posted by X5GEE View Post

Last night I went to a Regal Cinema with my wife and a few friends for the Batman movie. I was conceal carrying until I observed a small sign on the door that prohibited firearms. I guess I noticed it because of the Aurora, CO shootings and wasn't sure on the Theaters policy. Well I went back to my car and locked my firearm in the glove box.
    My main question is, does anyone simply ignore this and proceed into the Theater or did what I did? Even though I'm legal to CC, Is it a slap on the wrist if you get caught somehow? Their was security there and they were only checking women's purses. In the wake of the Colorado shootings, I'm very upset the theater would still have a so called 'Gun Free Zone'. Felt vulnerable that night.
    Ignoring conditions of entry (sign) could result in a trespass charge (18 Pa CSA 3503) which, unless you refuse to leave if directly ordered, is a summary offense (Max $300 and/or 90 days). The more likely result of being discovered is simply being asked to leave due to pragmatics but that does not foreclose the possibility that you will be cited without being asked.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Ignoring conditions of entry (sign) could result in a trespass charge (18 Pa CSA 3503) which, unless you refuse to leave if directly ordered, is a summary offense (Max $300 and/or 90 days). The more likely result of being discovered is simply being asked to leave due to pragmatics but that does not foreclose the possibility that you will be cited without being asked.
    Thats actually false now. "No Guns" signs dont hold the force of law anymore in PA (according to handgunlaw.us). However if you are asked to leave you must because that would be trespassing.

“No Firearm” signs in Pennsylvania have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is
    specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in
    a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you
    refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you
    are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who
    may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you
    even if you are within the law.
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Here is a similar thread.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...ad-policy.html

Edit to add....
    Hmmm.. just realized that is different thread from the one I thought it was. Both were started by Viper, with similar topics. I put a response in this thread thinking it was that thread that pertains to your question earlier today.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...out-oc-cc.html
    Last edited by internet troll; August 5th, 2012 at 01:07 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by xdmfan View Post
    Thats actually false now. "No Guns" signs dont hold the force of law anymore in PA (according to handgunlaw.us). However if you are asked to leave you must because that would be trespassing.

Handgunlaw.us is incorrect. I've tried pointing that out to Gary Slider before, but he has refused to acknowledge it.

tl_3237 is absolutely correct in his citation. Signs do in fact allow for the property owner to place a condition to entry upon a property. Citations for turning on private property, hunting where marked "fishing access only", parking a tractor trailer where marked "no trucks" hold up in court every day of the week.

A "no gun" type sign has the same precedence as those signs just mentioned.

While PA doesn't have a direct law covering "no gun" signs like Ohio does, PA's 3503 Defiant Trespass law does in fact cover it.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 5th, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Since the one thread I responded to is apparently 2 years old not a month, I will put the essense of my response here since it is more relevant.

Ironic how the perspective on a thread from a month ago can be changed (at least from my view point) with one event. I now more clearly see the viewpoint of people who have said a property owners policy does not trump the right to self defense. Still don't totally agree with it, but I understand better. A month ago I would have said follow the properties owners rules. Now I would say "follow the property owners rules at your own risk.

Edit to add..... removing a question that could cause people to potentially advocate breaking the law.
    Last edited by internet troll; August 8th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by xdmfan View Post

The issue of signs having weight in Pa has been discussed many times. Handgunlaw is simply wrong on this issue.

See:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...t-signage.html
    IANAL

Their was security there and they were only checking women's purses. In the wake of the Colorado shootings, I'm very upset the theater would still have a so called 'Gun Free Zone'. Felt vulnerable that night.
    They have the right to do this, but if I saw them searching bags I would find another theater. My wife has nothing to hide but this just bothers me.

Wink Re: Conceal Carry in Movie Theater

CCW ! CCW !

(Bucks County)

I recently went to AMC Neshaminy a few weeks ago and I CC'd my P11. I saw the sign on the window, but I went in anyway.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast