Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun safes????

Default Gun safes????

Guys I'm looking into buying a new safe. I would like to make this a lifetime purchase so will be going with something between 24-48 gun size. I've been looking at reviews and videos on the manufacture websites and am starting to go crosseyed. I would like to stay between $1000-$1500 and have at least a 60 minute fire rating @1200 degrees or higher.
    I've looked at cannon. Amsec. Liberty. Fort Knox you name it, clearly I cannot afford some and I feel my price range is reasonable for what my prerequisites are. Can I get some opinions on what you guys have and like as far as these go.
    Thanks up front for the assistance.

Default Re: Gun safes????

For that size and fire rating it is difficult to find one for your price range. All The ones I see with one hour fire rating are much more. What have you found that fits your criteria?

For what it's worth I have a Liberty and like it.
    Last edited by MT1; August 5th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I would opt for less/no fire protection and more steel. Keep documents in a fire lockbox inside the safe. Frankly I'm ticked off at how crappy most of these 'safes' are out there and how thin the material is for how much you pay. At that price range you're going to get a container that can be sawn open or smashed open with a fire axe pretty easily. I would highly recommend something no less than 10 gauge steel, preferably 7 gauge or better on the sides with 5/8-1" solid steel on the front door.

Check into Sturdy Safe for a no-frills option or perhaps Amsec's BF or HS line (HS will be a LOT more however since I believe they are TL-15 rated). Opt for steel over pretty glossy colors and emblems of wild animals. I've not met a criminal scared off by a deer painted on a safe. And whatever you do ANCHOR ANCHOR ANCHOR!

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    For that size and fire rating it is difficult to find one for your price range. All The ones I see with one hour fire rating are much more. What have you found that fits your criteria?

For what it's worth I have a Liberty and like it.
    Liberty fatboy jr
    Cannon s33
    But neither have the 60 min fire rate
    I have looked at Winchester Amsec and centurion and a few others.
    I don't mind getting something smaller like the 24 gun but I want a quality safe more than anything.

Am I putting too much emphasis on the fire rate?
    Last edited by *Klutch*; August 5th, 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Check out Bass Pro. Today's sale ad has a RedHead (store brand) 51 gun safe rated for 1 hour. Sale price is $1,149.97

From the ad photo it appears to have a door liner that holds 8 handguns. They may be counting these into the claim to hold 51 guns.

I think that you may be putting too much emphasis on the fire rating. Think about where you are going to store your safe. Is it going to be in the basement? How much flammable material is in your basement? Also, how far away is the fire department?

Another thing to look at is how much damage will your firearms incur during a fire. Even if the fire seal on the safe is broken, most of the metal parts of your firearms should survive without much problem. Any wood/synthetic parts as well as springs and smaller metal pieces would need to be replaced. But hey, that's what gunsmiths are for! Keep a small, well rated fire safe for your important documents and the like.

Basically, look at what you realistically think you will need to keep your guns relatively safe. Personally, I keep mine in the basement where the chance of a big fire is relatively slim. I also live in a small town where the FD is less than a mile away and if a fire did break out in my house, I think it could be reasonably contained in a short amount of time and well before the whole house falls down into the basement.

(Luzerne County)

If your house is on fire for 60 minutes and no one notices you have bigger problems then if you guns survived.

if you can wait a month Piestracs will be having their annual safe sale. They are a liberty dealer. Not exactly in your neighborhood but it might be worth an afternoon to check out.

http://piestraksgunshop.com/
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Visit a shop with a good selection and view them in person. Cabelas , Target World and Tanners all had a decent selection.

Before ya get a great big one , think about how yer gonna move the damn thing! I removed the door on one of mine. Cut the weight down a good bit. I cut a dozen lengths of 3/4" plastic pipe and rolled it over them.

Thieves want to 'hit and git'. Smaller safes are often carted off to be opened later. Several smaller safes can always be bolted together (and down) to make this tougher , if not impossible.

It's much easier to go thru the thinner side or back with a torch or plasma cutter than thru the front door.

And if yer worried about fire ratings , don't store a bunch of live ammo INSIDE the safe.

GOLDENROD! Get one.
    Last edited by abner13; August 5th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Indiana County)

You are putting too much thought into the fire rating.

If you get one with the Pulusol sealing door, you can always add some fire board to the inside if you want to bump up the rating.
    I would strongly recommend this type of seal.

I also think 1200 degrees is the high end of a typical house fire so getting a 1200 one would offer more protection than you might think on it's own.

I don't know if the Winchester S45 is still available, but it is 51 gun, weighs 1100 lbs and does have a 1 1/2 hour 1400 degree rating.
    Was around $1400 a couple years back.

Also, be aware that not all ratings are UL ratings, but third party ratings, so who really knows what you are getting.

If you have a Gander Mtn, Cabelas, etc... in your area, keep stopping in, safes seem to be a regular item that gets discontinued and that there are sales on frequently.

I was at Cabela's about 2 hours ago and they only had the Cabela's brand there for display but those are made by Liberty and were pretty nice. The small ones are great for pistols but I have several rifles also and need something tall enough for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast