Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun safes????

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gun safes????

I would save up a bit more since you only want to do this once, due to the size you're looking at and fire protection. Bumping your budget up to the $2500 range:

http://www.sturdysafe.com/model3627.htm

I'm leaning towards picking up one of their safes...once I convince the wife... Or you could poke around on Craigslist and eBay and you might run into a grocery store, corporation, or bank that just wants to get rid of something... The problem with that of course is getting it out and then IN your place but sometimes you can find some bargains this way:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaso-Treasur...#ht_500wt_1283

Not sure of the condition, but that's a pretty tough safe at a good price...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    He can't afford ANY Liberty safe with 3/16" steel body.

And, I will go out on a limb here, he is not worried about the safe being dropped from a forklift.

I will cut that safe wide open in 5 minutes or less. And I've never cut a safe in my life.

Does that make it a bad safe? No. For most of us, I would guess a 3/16" body is pretty damn good if everything else is accounted for.

But, he still can't afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by kbcobra26 View Post
    Liberty safe gauge = 11-12 (unless you wanna go way out of your price range for the Presidential Series)

Sturdy Safe = 7 gauge
    Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    He can't afford ANY Liberty safe with 3/16" steel body.

And, I will go out on a limb here, he is not worried about the safe being dropped from a forklift.

I will cut that safe wide open in 5 minutes or less. And I've never cut a safe in my life.

Does that make it a bad safe? No. For most of us, I would guess a 3/16" body is pretty damn good if everything else is accounted for.

But, he still can't afford that.
    Curious question, outside someone breaking into your home knowing they are going to have to hack through a safe and thus having the necessary tools (expensive ones)....what would you use to safely retrieve the contents of a safe?

Having some experience with steel, I've seen people struggle with 16 gauge steel, even with the right tools (no torch) it took quite a while to get the job done. I'm of the opinion that you layer your security with an alarm and security cameras, which mediates the need for a 4000lb safe.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    what would you use to safely retrieve the contents of a safe?
    What are you planning EandGWZ!

Well, lets say if you had a cheaper model safe with just 3 lugs on the side and say this 'safe' was in a fire but had fire protection and you wanted to retrieve your valuables you could probably just flip it on it's back and pry it open with a couple guys unless it was bolted to the floor/ concrete.

^ There are plenty of videos on youtube of people demonstrating this.

Now, if you have a fancy safe with lugs on the side, top, bottom, and also have a thick gauge all around and lock out mechanisms etc.. I would say your screwed and would have to call a professional in to come open it up for you.

Having some experience with steel, I've seen people struggle with 16 gauge steel, even with the right tools (no torch) it took quite a while to get the job done. I'm of the opinion that you layer your security with an alarm and security cameras, which mediates the need for a 4000lb safe.
    If you don't go around town telling everyone you have guns (making your safe/home a target) then I would say all that stuff would be a good enough deterrent for just some random crackhead.

(Northampton County)

Curious question, outside someone breaking into your home knowing they are going to have to hack through a safe and thus having the necessary tools (expensive ones)....what would you use to safely retrieve the contents of a safe?

Having some experience with steel, I've seen people struggle with 16 gauge steel, even with the right tools (no torch) it took quite a while to get the job done.
    Were they trying to use scissors?

You can hammer a nail through 16 gauge steel or tear it wide open with an axe.

A K-saw or a $25 grinder from Harbor Freight is not an expensive tool but will open a 16 gauge box in seconds.

I also believe in layered security. Which is why I said 3/16" would be
    pretty damn good if everything else is accounted for.

(Delaware County)

I suggest looking around the Sturdy Safe sight. Here's a link to the thickness page.....

http://www.sturdysafe.com/gunsafes.htm
    Last edited by thundrr1; August 7th, 2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Gun safes????

RE: Sturdy, I'm not a customer (yet) and not affiliated with them, but am giving them some serious consideration. I received a call back from Alyssa in regards to my a web form inquiry over the weekend regarding some details and she was very patient in quoting out a number of sizes/options. If you want something a little heavier than 7 gauge, give them a ring. She had options for 4 and 5 gauge steel with 3/8" thick plate doors. They just got a new quoting app for her iPad and I think she enjoys using it :-P I'm trying to decide between 36 and 48" and fire lining or no fire lining right now...That and trying to figure out how to get it from the street down a bit of grassy hill... :-/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123