Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun safes????

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Gun safes????

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Also, be aware that not all ratings are UL ratings, but third party ratings, so who really knows what you are getting.
    There are almost no gun safes with a UL fire rating. Because none of the stuff on the market will pass a test.

And certainly none of the one or two gun safes that have a UL fire rating also have a UL RSC rating. Because the one or two that exist are real safes with TL ratings.

Of course, there are many UL listed fire safes that are not burglary/TL rated at all, but I don't think any of them are sold as "gun safes."

There are no UL fire rated safes with UL RSC or higher tamper/burglary protection in your price range. In your price range you get a fire safe or a gun safe (RSC.) Not both. Further, adding a couple grand to your price changes nothing.

I still paid for fire protection for one of mine but what it will actually do is a matter of opinion. Or luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    There are almost no gun safes with a UL fire rating. Because none of the stuff on the market will pass a test.

And certainly none of the one or two gun safes that have a UL fire rating also have a UL RSC rating. Because the one or two that exist are real safes with TL ratings.

Of course, there are many UL listed fire safes that are not burglary/TL rated at all, but I don't think any of them are sold as "gun safes."

There are no UL fire rated safes with UL RSC or higher tamper/burglary protection in your price range. In your price range you get a fire safe or a gun safe (RSC.) Not both. Further, adding a couple grand to your price changes nothing.

I still paid for fire protection for one of mine but what it will actually do is a matter of opinion. Or luck.
    So if what you say is true then I really shouldn't care about the fire rating; I should just buy a decent safe to secure my guns in?

Can anyone recommend a good safe even if it's below my price range...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    So if what you say is true then I really shouldn't care about the fire rating; I should just buy a decent safe to secure my guns in?

Can anyone recommend a good safe even if it's below my price range...
    No, I'm saying there are no guarantees with gun safe fire "ratings." Because they don't pass any real UL tests. The fire protection they provide may or may not help. I prefer to have some fire protection in most gun safes but I know it is a wish and a prayer.

I pay about 10 dollars a month to insure my firearms from flood, fire, and theft (it's a $10,000 dollar policy). Something to think about if the safe you find within your price range doesn't meet all of your needs.

(Cumberland County)

I bought a safe from BassPro. It's far from the best safe but it's 100% better than what I had, which was nothing. It's 1200 degree for 20 minutes. It's good enough for me. I wanted something good enough to prevent a common house burglar from getting into. But a professional thief could probably defeat it.

I bought a door hanger with a pouch in the bottom lined with heat resistant material for important papers, ect. fro Liberty Safes.

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I pay about 10 dollars a month to insure my firearms from flood, fire, and theft (it's a $10,000 dollar policy). Something to think about if the safe you find within your price range doesn't meet all of your needs.
    This I do through my home owners insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    I bought a safe from BassPro. It's far from the best safe but it's 100% better than what I had, which was nothing. It's 1200 degree for 20 minutes. It's good enough for me. I wanted something good enough to prevent a common house burglar from getting into. But a professional thief could probably defeat it.

I bought a door hanger with a pouch in the bottom lined with heat resistant material for important papers, ect. fro Liberty Safes.
    After taking into account what ungawa said I think this will be the route most likely takes. At Cabela's today their safes are Liberty brand and I liked them but was looking for more fire protection; the fact of it is that I'm looking for something to secure my guns from theft more than fire...

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    the fact of it is that I'm looking for something to secure my guns from theft more than fire...
    Liberty safe gauge = 11-12 (unless you wanna go way out of your price range for the Presidential Series)

Sturdy Safe = 7 gauge
    Last edited by kbcobra26; August 5th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.

ΑΣΦ

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Presidentials start at $3,800 though according to their web site..

http://www.libertysafe.com/buy-a-saf...size-ps-4.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast