Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default What was your "evolution" of carrying?

I started carrying before really doing much research. I started with oc'ing a Walther P22 in crosman holster. Which I received alot of......"input" about. Some good, but a lot of negative, which I used to learn and research more. Over a period of a year and a half, a lot a reading, different firearms, I have come to what I carry today. One of two firearms. My cc is a xd45 in a crossbreed supertuck or my oc rig, a Glock 20c w/ TLR1 in kydex holster made by Vigiliance Tactical. All I can do now is chuckle when I look back to my beginning.

What was your evolution?

My starting point

Today

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: What was your "evolution" of carrying?

I used to live in NJ and tried to research what the firearm laws there were. Then I realized there wasn't a chance in hell I'd have a shot at carrying there, which added to the list of reasons why I should move out.

When my wife and I settled on moving to PA I started researching the laws here to make sure I could first. After finding out I could, I started to see what options I had for carrying. At the time all I had was the S&W 586 with a 6" barrel that my dad gave me when I moved out. Couldn't really carry that around easily, so I looked into what I could trade for and afford.

Luckily I had the great fortune of being able to trade it with another forum member for his M&P40, who also tossed in a holster and some ammo with the trade. I got my LCTF shortly after the pistol arrived, and have been OCing since.

Next on my list of purchases is another holster, though the one I currently have does the job just fine.

(Mercer County)

I haven't evolved at all, I guess I'm Neanderthal.

I started out carry M1911 platform & Browning Hi Power. To this day my main carry guns are the M1911s and if I decide to go "lite" the Hi Power.
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; August 5th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Cambria County)

My dad had paid for me to attend handgun courses before I was old enough to carry and I grew to love his fullsize HK USP .40 that he let me use, it was his former duty gun. So naturally when it came time to get my LTCF and a edc I was drawn towards what I trained with and ended up getting a USP .40 compact and they threw in a cheap nylon holster with a thumb snap. That was my carry setup until I researched a bit and ended up with a serpa, now roughly 99% of the time I OC in the serpa.

(York County)

I started off strong side carry, alternating between my 1911's and my Glock 23- mostly oc but occasionally cc. I tried an s.o.b. (small of back) holster, but didn't really like it ( I have spinal damage and sit alot ). I ended up switching to cross draw almost exclusively as it was much more comfortable (especially when driving) and didn't bang on my cane when I need it. I also switched to open carry probably 95+ percent of the time. I'm starting to need my cane more and more, so I've begun to practice more with my left hand in anticipation of needing to carry weak side. The evolution Continues...

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Kahr MK9 in Uncle Mike's pocket holster --> Kahr MK9 in Galco Stinger OWB holster --> Springfield EMP in Galco Stinger OWB holster --> Colt Commander in Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster (but only for a month or two; the 1911 turned out to be an evolutionary 'dead end' for me! ) --> Glock 17 or 19 (usually 19) in Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster.

Had my first .22 pistol since I was about 13. Got my first 1911A1 at 16. My Pop wasn't really a shooter. Said he had enough during the war. But he never stopped me and bought or helped me buy several guns. We had lots of woods behind our house and I usually carried something while out in them. Applied and got my first LTCF when I was 22 and home on leave from the Navy. Used my home (fathers) address. It was a lot harder to get a "permit'' back then. We knew most of the cops , including the Chief. Had no record and was in the Navy , so there was no problems. Been carrying ever since, over 30 yrs.
    Last edited by abner13; August 5th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

I had my LTCF a bit before I started carrying because of the transportation restrictions and so If I decided to carry I would already have it. A uneasy incident late night in a parking garage pushed me over the edge and I got a IWB holster and started to practice drawing and shooting from the draw.

I started carrying my S&W Sigma 9mm IWB as that is what I had and I had no desire to OC after reading all the "encounter" stories.

But a full size IWB was just not working for me and more than not I would leave it at home citing comfort reasons.

Early I figured I would have to integrate my carry habits into my lifestyle and not my lifestyle into my carry habits or I would not do it at all.

Enter the LCP and a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I know some will scoff at the .380 caliber but. I subscribe that a .380 in the pocket is better than a 9mm/.40/.45 in the safe. I carry this virtually everywhere aside from the office and prohibited places.

I have realized some of the downsides of pocket carry and got a Supertuck for the LCP. It's mostly comfortable but for the fact that I am currently stretching the limits of my waistband. Now I could just buy new clothes. But I'd rather loose some weight and kill two birds with one stone. So currently I am training for a 5k.

If the LCP works out in the Supertuck, I'm highly considering getting a single stack 9mm. This would give me one extra round, a more powerfull round and a better grip with more control. Although the LCP will always be there as a fallback.

(Lehigh County)

This was in a two month time frame.

Good buddy took me shooting.
    Went and bought MPc 9mm and S&W .38 sp Bodyguard.
    Apply for LCTF.
    "No, I'm not going to carry."
    "Unless we are hiking."

That attitude was short lived, like a week. Now I carry every time I leave the house. Sometimes I pocket carry, sometimes I crossdraw OWB carry. Good belt and nice Galco leather holsters for crossdraw.

Don't leave home without it.

(Erie County)

Started off with a Glock 30 in a CBST, lost a bunch of weight for health reasons.

Now go with a XD-9sc because of the benefit of the grip safety and capacity, or a Ruger LCP when super lightweight and concealability are necessary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast