Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Aluminum fram revolvers, any good?

I was looking at a charter arms .38spcl the other day, it had an aluminum fram and was super light, which I liked a lot. My question though, is an aluminum frame going to last if I take the gun shooting a lot? I just have this thought in my head that aluminum isn't strong enough to stand the test of time and firepower.

I was also wondering if anyone had experience with aluminum handguns and if its harder to shoot accurately with them because of the lack of weight to help offset the recoil.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Aluminum fram revolvers, any good?

Aluminum alloys can be manufactured to withstand +P and magnum caliber pressures. However, it is usually indicated in one form or another (stamped on the barrel or stated in the included documentation).

They do recoil significantly more than their steel counterparts hence the shot-to-shot recovery will be slower.

No free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

everything Tony said, also, most very light revolvers will have a bullet weight limitation.. simply due to the higher recoil pulling the bullets from the unfired rounds, and locking up the cylinder.

however, all that being said, they are a joy to carry.... and with the right grips, a joy to shoot also.(the factory grips are bantam grips by hogue)

I have a S&W 396 Mountain lite in 44spl, I think its 13oz unloaded... alum frame, titanium cyl, and a stainless barrel liner...along with a anti gas jet cutting shield above the cyl gap..(I'm a fan of large bore or 357 mag revolvers for carry)

having had older charter arms 38 slowly fall apart, years ago, i'd save a little more and buy a better makers gun... I'm not sure if the newer maker is better, or not

do some research

Last edited by JayBell; August 5th, 2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: added 396 pic
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Northampton County)

I have a S&W shrouded hammer 38 +p aluminum frame that I use for pocket carry. I have honestly only shot maybe 300 rds through it in the 3 years I've owned it but it is a nice pocket carry or B.U.G. As for regular range shooter - I am happier shooting something else like a S&W model 10 or other equivalent caliber steel frame revolver (I tend to stay on the S&W and Ruger end of revolvers). They are more forgiving to shoot.

This is only my opinion - I look at my 38 as a pocket carry, self defense gun only. At the range I usually shoot 10-15 rds of 38 special and then 10-15 rds of 38 +p and then put it away and shoot my other revolvers for double action trigger practice.

In a nut shell, for a small ccw - an aluminum frame revolver is a great choice. For daily range trips throwing a lot of lead, I would look into something with a steel frame - my ideal is a steel frame 4" bbl revolver in .357 mag.
    "The Earth is for the living." -Thomas Jefferson

Smile Re: Aluminum fram revolvers, any good?

Had a S&W 637 for ten years,shot about 2,000 rounds thru it,never an issue,Sold it only because of the holster wear,it was getting pretty ugly,but still dependable.

(Cumberland County)

The Smith and Wesson Airweight is the quintessential alloy frame revolver. You'll be hard pressed to find many people saying anything bad about them. They will recoil more than a revolver the same size made of steel. They are a joy to carry though. As stated earlier, they may not be the best gun for you if you want to spend lots if time at the range. However, recoil is subjective. I don't mind shooting 100-200 rounds through a small light revolver in one range trip. Some people do.

It seems I get a new S&W Airweight yearly.

38-2

I'd have to agree with JayBell though, buy from a reputable maker.
    Last edited by rwb1500; August 4th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Just for reference.....

I've owned a stainless S&W (pre-lock) Model 60-10 for quite a few years, and even light load .357 recoil's are rather harsh. I also second the suggestion of purchasing upward, of Charter Arms.

I would steer you away from Charter Arms. I have not owned one, but I've heard from many people who 'know more about guns than me' tell me not to buy a Charter revolver.

A Smith Wesson Airweight in .38 spl. can be very affordable, and can be had for under ~400 if you look around. Probably closer to ~300 mark, even new.

Aluminum guns do tend to sting the hand a little. My Sig p232 is alum. frame, only 17 ounces, and it has some bark, bite, and jump in the hand. A 38 spl in a lighter alum. frame will sting even more.

I do think they will last you a long time as well. Unless you plan on shooting tens of thousands of round through it, it'll hold up fine.

The right grips help immensely. Though not marked , my 80's era S&W Model 37 Airweight has digested several hundred +P loads without any sign of increased wear or tear. The Pachmayr Compacs help.

There have been several aluminum J-frames that cracked under the barrel at the thin point in the yoke cut out. But this was due to the crush-fit threading of the barrel to frame. Not due to +P like several dealers have stated to get out of dealing with returns.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lehigh County)

Ditto the comments above. My S&W Airweight stings so I just shoot it enough to retain familiarity. If you're going to shoot a lot, some combination of a smaller caliber, heavier frame or a semi-auto should take its place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast