Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Guy shot near Drexel for "carrying" a gun

Who knows what they mean by "carrying." Heck, when I cut through their campus I "carry" a gun every single time. Anyone have more concrete info?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/d...e-officer.html

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Guy shot near Drexel for "carrying" a gun

Perhaps if I'd googled I might have found this before posting that:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...lved-shooting/

CBS says it was a homeless man acting suspiciously, and when the Drexel police approached him, he allegedly made a grab for the cop's gun. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by tmountjr View Post
    Perhaps if I'd googled I might have found this before posting that:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...lved-shooting/

CBS says it was a homeless man acting suspiciously, and when the Drexel police approached him, he allegedly made a grab for the cop's gun. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    Well maybe the first site you listed should have tried to print more accurate information because what they printed was misleading, so I can see how you thought what you did pretty easily. You're not stupid, whoever published that first blurb however...lol

(Philadelphia County)

No, "stupid, stupid, stupid" on the part of the dude who made the grab. "Carrying a gun" and "grabbing a cop's gun and turning it on him" aren't quite the same thing...but then it's the Inky, so it's not like you can expect stellar journalism and even partially accurate reporting.

(Philadelphia County)

From what I read he attacked the officer and knocked him on the ground first.

(Philadelphia County)

FWIW, here's the letter that students got the next morning:

Friday Night Incident at 32nd and Arch Streets

Dear Students, Faculty and Professional Staff,

As you may have heard, a troubling incident took place on campus Friday evening, culminating in a shooting by a Drexel police officer. A man attempted to assault a Drexel employee at her car near 32nd and Arch Streets. The employee escaped to Drexel Police headquarters at 3219 Arch Street. The man attacked the responding officer and attempted to grab his gun, and was shot in the hand and foot during the struggle. The attacker was hospitalized, and the officer was also treated and released.

This was obviously a very frightening confrontation, and I know you join me in keeping both our officer and our Drexel colleague in our thoughts and prayers as they recover.
    I want to reiterate that campus and community safety is Drexel’s top priority. In recent years the University has taken many steps, in partnership with community organizations and the City, to make our campus and our neighborhood even safer. Among these was the creation of the outstanding and highly regarded Drexel Police Department, and I commend the officer involved in this incident for his bravery.

The area around our campus is well on its way to becoming one of America’s most vibrant and exciting urban university neighborhoods. We will continue to implement every possible measure to increase its safety and quality of life. I am confident that we have a safe campus and neighborhood, and that they will keep getting safer.

As always, in an emergency you can call 215-895-2222 for Drexel’s Department of Public Safety and Drexel Police, or 911 for Philadelphia Police. And you can call 215-895-2822 for any nonemergency public safety need. Our police and public safety personnel are among the very best in the nation, and their goal is your safety.

Sincerely,
    John A. Fry
    President
    IANAL | Philadelphia. "...Land of the free..." Not quite.

(Philadelphia County)

ay82, thanks for the update. Whoever wrote the initial copy for philly.com needs to find a new job.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tmountjr View Post
    ay82, thanks for the update. Whoever wrote the initial copy for philly.com needs to find a new job.
    Sure; no problem! Couldn't agree more.

It's one thing to initially report on unconfirmed details - but there should absolutely be an update on that incorrect article by now.
    IANAL | Philadelphia. "...Land of the free..." Not quite.